Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by batnbreakfast View Post
    What's with Ed Brubaker writing a blue/pink haired, pierced woman into his books. Is it his wife guest-starring or what? There's Karon in Catwoman, Stacy in Gotham Central and the girl on the cover of Reckless. Maybe there are more and I missed them. Just me being curious.
    Brubaker was an alternative rocker back in the 80's. I don't that that's the actual reason, but I thought I'd throw it out there.

What's with Ed Brubaker writing a blue/pink haired, pierced woman into his books. Is it his wife guest-starring or what? There's Karon in Catwoman, Stacy in Gotham Central and the girl on the cover of Reckless. Maybe there are more and I missed them. Just me being curious.
    That character(Anna...) wanted to put a midnight screening of the film The Decline Of Western Civilization on.

What color was her hair going to be? Strawberry blonde?

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    Brubaker was an alternative rocker back in the 80's. I don't that that's the actual reason, but I thought I'd throw it out there.
    Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    That character(Anna...) wanted to put a midnight screening of the film The Decline Of Western Civilization on.

What color was her hair going to be? Strawberry blonde?

My mission for 2021 is to read as much Brubaker as possible and hopefully she shows up elsewhere, too. The impression I got is she's a voice of reason character.

My mission for 2021 is to read as much Brubaker as possible and hopefully she shows up elsewhere, too. The impression I got is she's a voice of reason character.
    Reckless is getting two more sequels so we'll see her again.

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    Reckless is getting two more sequels so we'll see her again.
    Only two? This is me hoping for even more. The cover for the second book looks so good.

Brubaker & Phillips appearing with Brian Hibbs for his virtual book of the month club evet at his store, discussing Reckless and their creative process. It's about 2 hours long though...

-M
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Only two? This is me hoping for even more. The cover for the second book looks so good.
    they plan to do more but so far only 3 are confirmed.

Ed Brubaker has mixed feelings on The Falcon and the Winter Soldier

https://www.comicsbeat.com/ed-brubak...inter-soldier/

He's one of the greatest writers imo, I love his work both for Marvel and DC and his work over at Image....putting that aside, seriously what did he expect? That he'd get bigger compensation err well too bad it's Marvel's character. Hopefully Marvel and Ed will settle it, but I don't see it happening.

Quote Originally Posted by Eto View Post
    He's one of the greatest writers imo, I love his work both for Marvel and DC and his work over at Image....putting that aside, seriously what did he expect? That he'd get bigger compensation err well too bad it's Marvel's character. Hopefully Marvel and Ed will settle it, but I don't see it happening.
    On the one hand?

Sure. Not the first time "Work For Hire..." talent has been exploited. Probably will not be the last.

All that said?

Every Single Cent Marvel has made from The Winter Soldier does not exist without that creative team. Trotting out "Marvel's Character..." doesn't change that the creative team deserves way, way better than they ever got.

On the one hand?

Sure. Not the first time "Work For Hire..." talent has been exploited. Probably will not be the last.

All that said?

Every Single Cent Marvel has made from The Winter Soldier does not exist without that creative team. Trotting out "Marvel's Character..." doesn't change that the creative team deserves way, way better than they ever got.
    Well, yes he deserves better, but he shouldn't expect a huge compensation.

Quote Originally Posted by Eto View Post
    Well, yes he deserves better, but he shouldn't expect a huge compensation.
    When they would not have made a dime without his work?

Agree to disagree.

When they would not have made a dime without his work?

Agree to disagree.
    This is the age-old dispute about work for hire. I agree it sucks and I wish creators got a better deal out of it, something more akin to creator-owned. At least they get to keep and sell their original artwork now thanks to the efforts of Neal Adams and others. It's an uncomfortable truth that a lot of the creators whose work we read and love are living in near-poverty for much of their careers. I know it's their choice and so on but it's still not great and I'm sure the Big Two at least could do better.

Quote Originally Posted by cgh View Post
    This is the age-old dispute about work for hire. I agree it sucks and I wish creators got a better deal out of it, something more akin to creator-owned. At least they get to keep and sell their original artwork now thanks to the efforts of Neal Adams and others. It's an uncomfortable truth that a lot of the creators whose work we read and love are living in near-poverty for much of their careers. I know it's their choice and so on but it's still not great and I'm sure the Big Two at least could do better.
    None of the Big Two wants to set a precedence for writers being rewarded after a successful adaption but I do hope Brubaker (and Ostrander with The Suicide Squad) got a huge, well deserved paycheck for the cameo.
    Last edited by batnbreakfast; 03-27-2021 at 08:15 AM.

I thought his Cap run was good.

I also think Bucky was created by Joe Simonson and Jack Kirby. Not to mention I see just as much Gruenwald in the show as I do Brubaker. The Flag Smashers, US Agent, Battle Star, probably more but it's been so long since I read it all. Didn't Falcon get the Shield after Brubaker? He gave Bucky a new code name and a metal arm and wrote some great stories. He isn't even responsible for most of the series stories. Says Robert Morales created Isaiah Bradley. Stan Lee made the Falcon.

That's what writing comics for other companies is. I get he has been anti work for hire for a long time but without his runs on stuff like Batman and Captain America he would have ALOT less success and he wouldn't have a thread dedicated to his works.
    Last edited by Tony; 03-31-2021 at 07:51 AM.