Any news on his creator owned titles?

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    Any news on his creator owned titles?
    You could subscribe to his newsletter

edbrubaker@basementgang.net

That's my way of keeping up

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.com...-cover-reveal/

The cover of "Reckless" 's 3rd graphic novel is revealed.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.com...aker-phillips/

Brubaker talks about the connection between Reckless and superhero comics.

Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 04-03-2021 at 10:01 AM.

The books have been printed for weeks, but now the new Criminal Deluxe Editions are coming at last. My LCS tells me volume one is available today, and volume two next Wednesday. And then the second Reckless book, Friend of the Devil is out the following week!IMG_88AF30EE06A1-1.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    I thought his Cap run was good.

I also think Bucky was created by Joe Simonson and Jack Kirby. Not to mention I see just as much Gruenwald in the show as I do Brubaker. The Flag Smashers, US Agent, Battle Star, probably more but it's been so long since I read it all. Didn't Falcon get the Shield after Brubaker? He gave Bucky a new code name and a metal arm and wrote some great stories. He isn't even responsible for most of the series stories. Says Robert Morales created Isaiah Bradley. Stan Lee made the Falcon.

That's what writing comics for other companies is. I get he has been anti work for hire for a long time but without his runs on stuff like Batman and Captain America he would have ALOT less success and he wouldn't have a thread dedicated to his works.

I don't care how good his Daredevil, Captain America, Gotham Central was, DC/Marvel was lucky they had him,not other way. To most of his fans today he is the master of noir,crime comics with Sean Phillips. He didn't win Eisner award for generic Batman. Sure he made prolly more money working for Marvel,DC but most of his acclaimed older works is outside superhero world. He would have been great writer,acclaimed even without the big two. Just like Garth Ennis doesn't need Marvel,DC, Alan Moore didn't, Mignola,Kirkman, Sakai etc

This thread is named after his works with Phillips, made for him for him by his those type of fans. Criminals fans who has every book,series with Sean Phillips. Not by fans of generic old Batman with weird Scott Macdaniel art. I read that much later out respect for his creator owned works.
    Last edited by Fantomen; 04-21-2021 at 08:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by seanphillips View Post
    The books have been printed for weeks, but now the new Criminal Deluxe Editions are coming at last. My LCS tells me volume one is available today, and volume two next Wednesday. And then the second Reckless book, Friend of the Devil is out the following week!IMG_88AF30EE06A1-1.jpg
    Looking forward to it.

Any word on Incognito vol 3?

Quote Originally Posted by Muadib View Post
    Any word on Incognito vol 3?
    We never had any plans for a third volume.

Quote Originally Posted by seanphillips View Post
    We never had any plans for a third volume.
    Oh, thats a pity, i really loved that series and love pulp. I thought that with the ending of the 2nd volume, you were setting it up for a jailbreak and answer the questions posed in 2 about Black Death's origin.

Ah well. Maybe you guys will change your mind in the future, in the mean time i am really enjoying Reckless.

https://monkeysfightingrobots.co/rev...satanic-panic/

Early review for the second Reckless book.

https://www.publishersweekly.com/pw/...-phillips.html

New interview with Brubaker and Phillips.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 04-27-2021 at 03:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fantomen View Post
    I don't care how good his Daredevil, Captain America, Gotham Central was, DC/Marvel was lucky they had him,not other way.
    There's a quote from The Comics Journal (I think, I can't recall exactly) along the lines of "Creators don't do superheroes because they want to, but because they have to." That's an overstatement, especially when you consider TCJ's biases, but I think there's a kernel of truth in it. It does seem that for certain creators, getting out while they are hot is the right thing to do.

I read "Friend of the Devil" and thought it was good.

Enjoyed Friend Of The Devil quite a bit. It managed to take place on a fairly small scale while still tying quite a few corners of fiction together.

Also some pretty solid character work without hitting you over the head with it.

Like all their work, it sucked me in and I couldn’t stop until I was done. Can’t wait for the next book.