Page 5 of 39 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
    Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    I've never seen the one drop rule added in reverse. That's interesting. In that case theres a HUGE number of unrepresented black people in america that are mixed as if they don't have a white grand father somewhere along the line there was a white great great great grandfather or great great great grandmother, especially those who are descended from slaves.
    These people not living the realities of Black folks when we all have a white grandpa down the line because of the sexual violence of slavery from North America to the Caribbean to South America. It was just an article about this that rocked folks around the country as it showed this violence in a way that people could not hide.

Quote Originally Posted by Paleo_Rage View Post
    These people not living the realities of Black folks when we all have a white grandpa down the line because of the sexual violence of slavery from North America to the Caribbean to South America. It was just an article about this that rocked folks around the country as it showed this violence in a way that people could not hide.
    Pretty much and i'm not trying to discredit mix raced people at all. As i've said many times if you saw me standing next to my siblings you would be shocked. I'm dark brown, some are carmel and two are milky white and when i say milky white i mean if you pour a glass of milk that is their color except they tan very golden in the summer. I was always under the assumption that mixed raced meant one of your direct parents was of another race from the other not somewhere in your lineage you have a white ancestor. I mean if thats the case i need to take my census all over again.

I know for a fact my mothers mother was white and i know two generations from there there was another white person. I also know on my grand fathers side his great great grandparents were white and native american but all their set of children married either a black person or a mixed person.

And my father is from Jamacia so less information on him but as you said, the carribean.
    Last edited by jwatson; 08-11-2020 at 01:53 PM.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Extraordinary Member Silver Fang's Avatar

Pretty much and i'm not trying to discredit mix raced people at all. As i've said many times if you saw me standing next to my siblings you would be shocked. I'm dark brown, some are carmel and two are milky white and when i say milky white i mean if you pour a glass of milk that is their color except they tan very golden in the summer. I was always under the assumption that mixed raced meant one of your direct parents was of another race from the other not somewhere in your lineage you have a white ancestor. I mean if thats the case i need to take my census all over again.

I know for a fact my mothers mother was white and i know two generations from there there was another white person. I also know on my grand fathers side his great great grandparents were white and native american but all their set of children married either a black person or a mixed person.

And my father is from Jamacia so less information on him but as you said, the carribean.
    Agreed. Ronda Rousey's great grandfather was black. But at the end of the day, she's white.
    race refference.webp1.jpg

The Undertaker has Native American ancestry but make mistake, he's a white...
    19.jpg

Going further, he has Irish ancestry as well and when his hair is its natural color, he favors the Irish portion of his lineage.
    April 1 (12).jpg

Same principle. Plenty of black & white people have ancestors of a different race, especially factoring in slavery. Racial purity ended years ago & most are 1 drop ruling to which side they physically / genetically take after most.

My my father & mother have Native American ancestors or great grandparent. Then my mother's grandfather was half white. But in the end, we're all black. Though my mother & I look more ambiguous than my father & brother. Lol Many thought my mother was mixed and I have albinism so I have been guessed mixed & white, and asked from people who can't decide on their guesses.

Originally Monet was a brown girl with plump features, and for all intents & purposes, black in her coloring and her features which are more associated with black people.
    Last edited by Silver Fang; 08-11-2020 at 02:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post
    I definitely don't think the love of Storm on the fans side is to blame. Unfortunately, I think many writers use Storm to fill a quota and thus don't feel the need to use other black women (or many other characters of color).
    This. Why give the effort when you've got one who is widely popular yet they don't do much with her.

Why couldn't Frenzy or Shard lead a team? Why isn't Blink, Celia Reyes or Locus on a team? Sadly no writers seems interested in using these characters other than fodder or background characters.

This post doesn't make sense to me. The ONE popular black female should sit on the sidelines for a while in a franchise that has 4 to 5 books running at a time so other black femlaes can get a chance? Uhh.. why not add black females to some of these all white teams?

Better yet why don't we do a reverse quota. No more than two white characters per team max. That should help a lot more than sidelining storm or any other character of color which we know for a fact also doesn't work.
    I'm still waiting for the all Black/POC team of mutants to debut and for the ensuing cries of, "Why are they together like that? What excuse do they have to be together?"

What we need is a Black female version of Prof X who gathered a team of oppressed poc mutants together.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post
    I'm still waiting for the all Black/POC team of mutants to debut and for the ensuing cries of, "Why are they together like that? What excuse do they have to be together?"

What we need is a Black female version of Prof X who gathered a team of oppressed poc mutants together.
    Seriously. Take Hollywood, movies, and TV shows for example. How many times have I heard the argument "if you want diversity, go make your own movie/show/etc.". Then when someone does, some whiny bitch will be like, "that's not realistic". When the same people in charge make the same movies and the same TV shows and use the same tried and true properties over and over again, nothing ever changes. More WWII movies where it's like "sorry, history dictates that there just weren't POC involved in this kind of story". Or another Elizabethan period piece. Or a mythical fairyland with all white, British people. They just aren't making spaces for POC.

Imagine if Game of Thrones was made with an all-POC cast. What a power move that would've been. And imagine the outcry of angry fanboys saying it's inaccurate. It's a fantasyland, but still a white fantasyland to them because that's all they know/want. (AND I don't give a rat's ass about character descriptions in the books. Two black people in a cast of hundreds is pathetic.)

Quote Originally Posted by superjosh View Post
    Seriously. Take Hollywood, movies, and TV shows for example. How many times have I heard the argument "if you want diversity, go make your own movie/show/etc.". Then when someone does, some whiny bitch will be like, "that's not realistic". When the same people in charge make the same movies and the same TV shows and use the same tried and true properties over and over again, nothing ever changes. More WWII movies where it's like "sorry, history dictates that there just weren't POC involved in this kind of story". Or another Elizabethan period piece. Or a mythical fairyland with all white, British people. They just aren't making spaces for POC.

Imagine if Game of Thrones was made with an all-POC cast. What a power move that would've been. And imagine the outcry of angry fanboys saying it's inaccurate. It's a fantasyland, but still a white fantasyland to them because that's all they know/want. (AND I don't give a rat's ass about character descriptions in the books. Two black people in a cast of hundreds is pathetic.)
    Totally agree. With so many streaming services out now, there are more opportunities for things like this to happen and I hope we get a chance to see them.

Just one thing, I really don't want to see an over-abundance of hood, gangster movies or Madea . Change up the genre some.

Totally agree. With so many streaming services out now, there are more opportunities for things like this to happen and I hope we get a chance to see them.

Just one thing, I really don't want to see an over-abundance of hood, gangster movies or Madea . Change up the genre some.
    Lol Madea.. oof! I'm excited that there are so many amazing creators now and the quality is so good. Stories that are varied and not just crime, drugs, gangs, prison, violence, rappers (although a great subject), etc. Insecure, I May Destroy You, Dear White People, Never Have I Ever, Euphoria, Pose... and even lighter fare like Always Be My Maybe. Shows and movies showing POC existing. Not ignoring their backgrounds, but working with it to tell a whole story. So much better than Marty Scorsese's 100th all-white epic or Greta Gerwig's next Little White Women.

Look at the Eternals for example. A great showing of diversity and ages, but who are the leads? Angelina Jolie and Richard Madden. It's exactly the same in comics. POC are allowed, but not as the focus unless it's Black Panther or something about the bad bad streets of NY.

Niffleheim

They should exist because a lot of ppl seem to enjoy them but it shouldn't be the be-all end-all black representation in the media

Mighty Member

Anyway let’s get back to the ladies......

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

That would be a very compelling hook for a story, especially given how it could address the hypocrisy of the mainstream X-Men narrative constantly centering white, human-passing protagonists aided, mentored, and/or supplemented by white, human-passing billionaires even while claimed as an allegory for the experiences of persecuted and marginalized people(s) in real life. Come to think of it, that could also dovetail into the X-Men being, albeit unintentionally, an allegory for how the public-facing leadership of the struggle for justice and equality for those people(s) is often dominated by those closest to being part of the dominant culture, who thus exhort those they lead to assimilate into or integrate with the dominant culture for the sake of reforming it, as opposed to more thoroughly and completely transforming or replacing the dominant power structure that has oppressed them with something that won't.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Spectacular Member

The three Black Women I want to take off are

One of the biggest missed oppurtunities was to not cast Blink in 616 X-Men after her popularity in A0A especially with Nightcrawler in Excalibur , She could have also served as a replacer character for Psylocke. Even though she is visually Pink , I think a 616 Blink charactered after AOA Blink would have taken off.

Next we have Cipher AKA Black Shadowcat with a touch of Sage , Her retcon was quite empty given the fact she could have easliy provided the only minority role in The New X-Men cast but they make her a useless shy quite type. She could easily replace Shadowcat as a core X-Men with Kitty providing a more prominent role in the Marvel Universe at large . Even though I love this character she will always be unfairly be regulated to being Kitty's understudy.

Unveil (Shareese) with the creation of Krakoa Im hoping this Rainbow Afro Goddess shows up and shows out.

Ultimately X-Men writers usually often go to a set group of X-Men The O5 , Nightcrawler , Wolverine , Shadowcat , Jubilee (Barely) , Rogue , Gambit , Colossus and Storm. Since most minority characters have similair powersets to the above mentioned they almost are never the first choice for example a writer would use Shadowcat before Cipher but would use Cipher if Shadowcat wasn't
    available. A lot of writers are stuck on the classic characters that the new characters are often used as plot devices hell everybody became a plot device for Cyclops/Wolverine/Jean/Emma/Kitty in recent years. The only way I see a new Black Girl taking off sadly/not so sadly is if they attach to a major X-Men like Storm (Not so sad) or Cyclops (Kinda sad).

Quote Originally Posted by Paleo_Rage View Post
    Anyway let’s get back to the ladies......
    Arlette Truffaut From Alpha Flight?
    TO KNOW HER IS TO FEAR HER: JESSICA DREW THE SPIDER-WOMAN
    BE SURE TO CHECK OUT THE NEW 2024 SPIDER-WOMAN SERIES by STEVE FOXE!!!

MISSING:
    Synch's Aura
    Northstar and Aurora's shiny hair
    Spider-Woman’s cowl costume

well none were as interesting as Storm or had such an amazing powerset like Storm

They would be screaming for not only that 30% quota then but also telling us how racist it is to have an all black team of mutants.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/