Page 1 of 39 1234511 ... LastLast

Question Why haven't any of the Black female X-men caught on other than Storm?

This is sort of the companion thread to other one. The discussion in that thread reached probably as far as it is going go on that topic and bit of what would be in this topic start to spill into that thread. So I decided to start this topic as continuation of that topic and taking it other direction that was not being talk about because of how I limited the topic. Learning from the other thread I have made some adjustments that should make for a better thread

1. This is a mini X-men Black female and other minorities appreciation topic so feel free to just talk about how much you like a certain character in this thread relevant to the topic. In other thread it was probably only time I have seen Shola or Triage on the forums mentioned so it is perfectly fine to highlight these some of these smaller characters. The best thing to come from other topic is general discussion of some these smaller characters so if nothing else comes this topic than Frenzy,Shard and Tempo appreciation fest then fine.

2. Why not name it a appreciation Black female appreciation and other minorities thread ? Because appreciation threads have more positive approach and this thread at times will shred apart characters to focus on their flaws.

3. But the title says Black female X-men That is what I wanted to focus on but how conversations works they are good parallels and points that comes from bringing up the treatment all minority characters so they should be part of discussion as well. So if you feel Hispanic/Latino, Asian,Indian, Arab, Indigenous American,etc is relevant to this topic bring them up when it is relevant but understand where the general focus of topic is going to end up. For example I am pretty sure that Moonstar is going to be a part of this discussion, Moonstar imo is the "spiritual successor" to Storm in the New Mutants(think about it she has both Goddess story and a unpowered period) why her momentum and progression got stop is big part of why some of these characters aren't successful.

A Small list of Black female X-men(feel free to mention others I know I forgot some)

M
    Blink
    Celia Reyes
    Oya
    Frenzy
    Bling
    Bloodstorm
    Khymera
    Tempo
    Shard
    Decay
    Cipher
    Locus
    Unveil
    Threnody
    Nicole and Claudette(Penance/Hollow)

The questions

1. The point might have true about the Male characters but is it true about the female characters? Is there a female black character you think has really caught on that makes this question not correct? Is there a female minority character other Storm and Jubilee that has really caught on?

2. Is the love of Storm to blame for some of the lack success other characters? Does X-men franchise and fans lean to heavily on Storm as representation?

3. Is there female minority character that you think is just some focus away from being successful mainstay? Which character if you had power to push would highlight and why is it important for that character to be highlighted?

Anyways be nice to your fellow posters
    Last edited by Killerbee911; 08-12-2020 at 01:06 AM.

I definitely don't think the love of Storm on the fans side is to blame. Unfortunately, I think many writers use Storm to fill a quota and thus don't feel the need to use other black women (or many other characters of color).

I'll get into it more tomorrow (it's past my bed time!), but I loved what Mike Carey did with Frenzy. She was a hero in the Age of X reality (and was boning Cyclops/Basilisk) and after returning to the normal reality, she was like "I AM CHANGED AND I WANT TO FEEL LIKE THIS FOREVER". It was so good.

But seriously, besides Storm and the oft-whitewashed Monet, there are just no other grown-up black female X-Men.

Because if the situation of men is bad, the situation of women is worse?
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

Mighty Member

Decay, Cipher should be added to the list . Also locus lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post
    I definitely don't think the love of Storm on the fans side is to blame. Unfortunately, I think many writers use Storm to fill a quota and thus don't feel the need to use other black women (or many other characters of color).
    I think you hit the nail on the head with that point, I was not trying to make it an attack on the character of the Storm or the fans BUT because Storm is such a good character and become an integral part of the X-men and is the one minority character that is grandfathered in as "classic" X-men she just gets thrown on to teams even if she isn't really the best fit. It is not her fault but she is easy choice because she is popular and accepted classic X-men so writers who aren't creative just put her on team because nobody would ever question Storm as the "quota" pick.

I am so happy that Psylocke is not in the Asian body any more because Psylocke and Storm would be put on teams because clearly they are two most popular minority X-men characters. I was seriously rooting for Storm to join the Avengers for awhile so they can remove her as crutch for writers who aren't interested in developing her but use her on teams because she is "Storm".

Since Psylocke has been turn back white there has been an effort imo to use the other Asian characters they have around like Kwannon, Karma, Jubilee, Armor, etc so we have seen something like that work in imo. Storm shouldn't have to leave the X-men or die for more black female characters to be used but considering a quota sort does exist in some form some time away could be good. I prefer the writers
    character selection to improve but when team selection goes like "I am picking the popular characters Cyclops, Wolverine, Jean Grey, Rogue,etc okay I have pick someone diverse now to fill out my roster. Storm and Psylocke aren't around okay let me see who else is interesting" maybe Storm being away could be an good thing. Just to be clear I loved Storm and M interaction in HoX/PoX I would rather see more of that as the fix than Storm gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Paleo_Rage View Post
    Decay, Cipher should be added to the list . Also locus lol.
    I forgot about Cipher, I thought she had a good design.
    Last edited by Killerbee911; 08-11-2020 at 04:11 AM.

Ultimate Member

Ooh, I'd love more of Monet, Bling!, Frenzy, Tempo and Cecelia Reyes, in particular!

(Although I'm fond of Oya and Shard, as well.)

Frenzy feels like she's best suited to step up (although Monet seems more popular), and would have had the best opportunity, IMO, back during that extended time pre-Whedon when Colossus was dead, and the team could use another 'tank' type. Even still, there's a half-dozen X-teams, and every team should have a tank, so she totally should be out there, punching faces and taking names.

I love Monet, but at times, she feels like her personality has been replaced with Emma-Frost-lite, and that's not entirely it, IMO. Upper-class snark and haughty put-downs are fun, for awhile, but they aren't a great substitute for actual characterization.

Quote Originally Posted by Zelena View Post
    Because if the situation of men is bad, the situation of women is worse?

Blink is black?

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    Blink is black?
    I believe her original creator confirmed her to be a black woman of Barbados origin some time ago.

Extraordinary Member Master of Sound's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    Blink is black?
    Blink is Asian, they mentioned Bling! the student with the diamond head
    "COURAGE, DON'T YOU DARE LET ME DOWN"
    ==================================================
    ==================================================

I actually have a question for long time readers. What is Monet’s ethnic background and has she ever self-identified as black? When I started reading I assumed she was of Arab descent.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Master of Sound View Post
    The Gifted TV and Days of Future Past movie Blink's are Asian, but the comic book character is indeed black, although you can't tell, because she's pink, and, AFAIK, it was never mentioned until recently (so it might be a retcon)...

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post

Frenzy feels like she's best suited to step up (although Monet seems more popular), and would have had the best opportunity, IMO, back during that extended time pre-Whedon when Colossus was dead, and the team could use another 'tank' type. Even still, there's a half-dozen X-teams, and every team should have a tank, so she totally should be out there, punching faces and taking names.
    Frenzy is a strange case because the X-men franchise over the years thrived on turning villains into beloved members and Frenzy had a perfect set up to be something interesting after Age of X. I mean even right now with Cyclops and Jean being more "free". Frenzy could be interesting piece in that confusion.

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    I love Monet, but at times, she feels like her personality has been replaced with Emma-Frost-lite, and that's not entirely it, IMO. Upper-class snark and haughty put-downs are fun, for awhile, but they aren't a great substitute for actual characterization.
    With some characters they have to over do their personalities so that fans who don't get them and can quickly pick up who they are so until she becomes more permanent fixture her personality is going to be exaggerated. M was character that made wonder if the thread name is true because M looks to be in the process of catching on. She was on Adjectiveless all female X-men, X-factor, Weapon X ,and she got a little shine HoXPoX . She seems to be a Hickman favorite and the change to Penance feels like there is a story to be told there. I think she is very close to catching on the sell today use her is imagine if Emma Frost could turn Wolverine like character in combat.

Quote Originally Posted by Master of Sound View Post
    Blink is black in the comics, In the recent Exiles her aunt was black. They clearly were drawing her with black features as well. She has always been from Barbados in comics. The TV show changed her name from Ferguson to Fong.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post
    I actually have a question for long time readers. What is Monet’s ethnic background and has she ever self-identified as black? When I started reading I assumed she was of Arab descent.
    Monet dad

Last edited by Killerbee911; 08-11-2020 at 04:44 AM.

Blink is definitely black . It was very clear in the new exiles she was in with that cartoon wolverine.

Screenshot_20200811-082904.jpg
    Last edited by jwatson; 08-11-2020 at 06:18 AM.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/