Page 32 of 39 FirstFirst ... 22282930313233343536 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Micabe View Post
    And, once the kids reach their lethal maximum potential -- they can be sent through the Krakoan gates around the globe and actively kill all non-mutants -- within a short amount of time the planet would be baseline Human free and Mutantdom would finally be at peace on Earth.
    … and mutants woud only fight among themselves?

Anyway, most of mutants descend from baseline humans.
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Zelena View Post
    … and mutants woud only fight among themselves?

Anyway, most of mutants descend from baseline humans.
    True... But, back in the day most mutant children were rejected and or orphaned by their baseline parents because of fear and loathing. Today, I can name several mutant children/teenagers that have no backstory much less parents to even speak of. Current mutant narrative makes it seen as if today's young "new" mutants simply appear out of thin air -- no parents. Hell, the last time a known mutant couple naturally gave birth (Rahne Sinclair does not count) was Angel Salvadore and Barnell Bohusk -- where are those kids now?

True... But, back in the day most mutant children were rejected and or orphaned by their baseline parents because of fear and loathing. Today, I can name several mutant children/teenagers that have no backstory much less parents to even speak of. Current mutant narrative makes it seen as if today's young "new" mutants simply appear out of thin air -- no parents. Hell, the last time a known mutant couple naturally gave birth (Rahne Sinclair does not count) was Angel Salvadore and Barnell Bohusk -- where are those kids now?
    Those kids actually showed up pretty recently in New Mutants.

Astonishing Member OopsIdiditagain's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    I am sorry but what does that even mean. It is fiction you can add whatever a character needs the only advantage Moon Girl or Ms Marvel has over Storm. Is that they are a blank slate with no contradictory history. Meaning I can say Kamala is super genius and doctor and nobody says anything if I do the same for Storm there is some fight by audience to buy that narrative because of previous stories.

Literally the more successful soloish X-men like Gambit( Thief) Wolverine (Merc) Domino (Merc), Cable (Merc/Solider) X23(Merc) Bishop (Cop/Solider) . They have built in jobs and skills to supplement stories. The main X-men have had slight problems transitioning to solos because they aren't the traditional save the city heroes and X-men have never establish good jobs for Cyclops or Storm and many of other X-men.

Anyways all of this to say it just takes thoughtful understanding of the character of what direction to take them in a solo and how you are going to fill occupation slot. For example Shatterstar they made him apartment complex owner, Rictor they made him a bar owner. After that its not hard to fill out a support roles/villains then these characters have years of history and built in support cast the team book. Which puts them far ahead of Miles and Kamala who to this day don't have stable cast or rogue gallery.

Anyways awhile back Marvel decided to launch Aero and Swordmaster which was my opinion was dead on arrival. You can't sell me that a Storm or Cyclops solo book wasn't a better use of resources than those books. Worse case scenario you can do the X-men Red approach or even current X-men approach which is heavily spotlight single character in a team setting where the team carries the project when the solo character can't ala mission impossible or fast and furious franchises.

Aero and Swordmaster was marvel trying to tap into the manga market. For that purpose they would do a better job than a Storm or Cyclops book would.

Which is a problem, it seems that no father and mother are ever going to love their own children because they are mutants. Almost a forced narrative.

Or we can assume that this parents exist is just that they are not shown or they are not the current focus.

Either way this is something that Hickman needs to take into account at some point, there has to be a small but reasonable population of humans in Krakoa , if not, the implication is that human parents almost always abandon their mutant children.
    Last edited by Lapsus; 09-12-2020 at 06:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BroHomo View Post
    lol not sure how im supposed to feel about that.....Hounds Rachel...or rattail Rachel?? lol

I Wasnt tryna call you out or anything! Keep posting them pics tho!

I meeeeean Miss Algeria might have something to say about that......

Sorry to revive this dead thread but Amel Bent a mixed french algerian celeb is who monet probably resembles racially

Whether that's black or not depends on the context.

Quote Originally Posted by Lapsus View Post

Or we can assume that this parents exist is just that they are not shown or they are not the current
    Yuuuup preeeeety sure that's a safe bet lol
    Either way this is something that Hickman needs to take into account at some point, there has to be a small but reasonable population of humans in Krakoa , if not, the implication is that human parents almost always abandon their mutant children.
    or ya know it's like mutant boarding school
    Quote Originally Posted by OopsIdiditagain View Post
    Sorry to revive this dead thread but Amel Bent a mixed french algerian celeb is who monet probably resembles racially

Whether that's black or not depends on the context.
    what'd context would it not be black?
    Yeah you're probably right But Ms Dad is a black mixed guy from Monaco and The only royalty in Algeria seems to be among the nomadic tribes of the Sahara who have Dark skin....and Ya know which genes would show up more lol
    GrindrStone(D)

Yuuuup preeeeety sure that's a safe bet lol

or ya know it's like mutant boarding school

what'd context would it not be black?
    Yeah you're probably right But Ms Dad is a black mixed guy from Monaco and The only royalty in Algeria seems to be among the nomadic tribes of the Sahara who have Dark skin....and Ya know which genes would show up more lol
    Because in a Francophone context people from north African countries like Morocco, Algeria and Tunisia are considered "Maghreb" rather than Black/Renoi or Middle Eastern. Some Maghrébins/Maghrébines people like Iman Hammam consider themselves black, that's why I say "depending on the context".

People are viewing this from an American racial context which is different from an African and Francophone context.
    Last edited by OopsIdiditagain; 09-12-2020 at 07:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    Monet is starting to catch on in more recent years and right now. AoA Blink is legit commodity but light bulb hasn't clicked to use her mainstream X-team. Oya had a little momentum going but it has stop. Cece Reyes has started to get use recently she had potential to stick because of her job and she clicks two check marks in the diversity box.

Those imo are 4 closest to doing something.M is really close being used in a movie or show would cement her imo.
    Oya got a lot of push but is now more of a background character in Hickman's X-men era. Cece's appearances in this era have been pretty consistent so far.

Because in a Francophone context people from north African countries like Morocco, Algeria and Tunisia are considered "Maghreb" rather than Black/Renoi or Middle Eastern. Some Maghrébins/Maghrébines people like Iman Hammam consider themselves black, that's why I say "depending on the context"..
    I mean that's ignoring the fact her dad is a black man from Monaco So there's still some 'black genetics in there...groovin'
    If Monet thought of herself as black what would be the context that'll change that?
    People are viewing this from an American racial context which is different from an African and Francophone context.
    I agree that this is true. I had no idea about the Maghreb people.
    I've Noticed in these discussions...Most fans view this from a non-black perspective which skews and is vastly different than black fans
    GrindrStone(D)

Extraordinary Member Silver Fang's Avatar

I mean that's ignoring the fact her dad is a black man from Monaco So there's still some 'black genetics in there...groovin'
    If Monet thought of herself as black what would be the context that'll change that?

I've Noticed in these discussions...Most fans view this from a non-black perspective which skews and is vastly different than black fans
    Plus it's viewed in American racial context because the creators are American and I am sure did not do any research on Africa & it's people when creating characters. So keeping it in simplistic terms, Monet is black, along with her siblings. Who knows with her mother. She was only seen 3 times, and looked vastly different all three times. And didn't she have 2 names? Lol

Probably. Race in European countries like France can be complicated because:
    1. Most biracial/mixed people do not identify with/are not viewed as one race
    2. People tend to identify more with their nationality than race
    3. North Africans tend to be viewed as seperate from black ethnicities.

But I understand why M being black is brought up during whitewashing. There are still North Africans who look black:

Ultimate Member

Which is a problem, it seems that no father and mother are ever going to love their own children because they are mutants. Almost a forced narrative.

Or we can assume that this parents exist is just that they are not shown or they are not the current focus.
    For that reason, I would like to see more of the occasional human parent who doesn't have a problem with their mutant child, like Lucinda Guthrie and her, so far, five mutant kids.

Now that we've got precedent that Northstar's human husband lives on Krakoa, they've got room for a few more human family-of-mutants, I think.

It has been an unfortunate case that human family who *are* accepting of their mutant kids, like Colossus' parents, tend to get ganked off, leaving only the endless parade of mutant-hating churches and whatnot. It is somewhat ironic that the core X-Men *who grew up in an orphanage* is the one of the rare ones with a living parent left alive, and that's probably only because said parent ran off to be a space pirate...

I didn't like how X-men featured Oya just to put her in a coma on the 1st issue.
    december 21st has passed where are my superpowers?

Mighty Member

Some yall are just.... For Billionth time M is Black..... Anyways, I wonder if M and Storm are gonna have some feats next week.. I also want to know the backstory on the Black Female Gambit character... I am calling her Shambit until we get a name.. I also hope her powers are much more than kinetic charging..