Page 25 of 39 FirstFirst ... 1521222324252627282935 ... LastLast
    Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

I'm not "mad" about people wanting black characters...this is comics...there's nothing for me to get "mad" at or about.
    And..I am very much posting in "good faith" (whatever that means)
    It's not my fault some don't want to/can't see an opinion that might prove their logic inane and unfounded.

If this "problem" was occurring continuously across ALL the Marvel books featuring Black and CoC like Black Panther, Miles Morales and Ms. Marvel...then I would be hard-pressed not to see an issue and poitn it out...but I've seen those books, and it doesn't. With a very few minor shifts in skin tones...depending on the colourist...those characters are still illustrated consistently as CoC.

So...the problem is with the X-Offices.

Except...Storm and Monet have both been coloured dark more often than not throughout their many appearances since HoX/PoX, across many different books.

So...It can't be an editorial mandate

Therefeore...it must be this one colourist working on this one issue. Nothing to get a up in arms about (as I saw one person on Twitter trying to raise unholy hell calling down fire and brimstone)

Now..
    Whether or not his intent was to white-wash the black characters because he has issues with black people...I cannot say, (I'm not his drinking buddy) And until there's evidence to say that he is a secret racist, I can't/won't be "mad" at him.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

BANNED

Can anyone name any blatantly black (coloured) washed characters?

Ultimate Member

It's not one colorist. It's MULTIPLE.

With editors letting them get away with it.

Not just at Marvel but DC and others too.

We have folks getting death threats over writing a book with POC in leads with an agenda and badly edited books with ZERO evidence.

Yet here we got legit examples that folks want to brush under the carpet.

All these character should have a model that states what color everything from skin to clothes should be every issue. Animation studios do it.

So conversations like this doesn't happen and we are not seeing a movies with light skin versions of dark skinned characters.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    It's not one colorist. It's MULTIPLE.

With editors letting them get away with it.

Not just at Marvel but DC and others too.

We have folks getting death threats over writing a book with POC in leads with an agenda and badly edited books with ZERO evidence.

Yet here we got legit examples that folks want to brush under the carpet.

All these character should have a model that states what color everything from skin to clothes should be every issue. Animation studios do it.

So conversations like this doesn't happen and we are not seeing a movies with light skin versions of dark skinned characters.
    That will never happen. These colorists don’t work together (unlike animated studios).

Half of them don’t use the same colorist program or technique.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    The point was Marvel puts out books that won't sell as much something else more established. I have been comic book fan long enough to understand the market. My personal feeling on those books or even understanding that they were trying to reach a different market and establish new market doesn't matter in dicussion. The books were toast from day one.

Nothing tone deaf I was talking about viability for solo for bigger name X-men character how Marvel put books with characters with way lower profile and fanbases, Swordmaster and Aero were my examples but I could have chosen Star and Hulkverine.
    The perspective you are looking at those particular books is what's tone deaf, especially when you mentioned they coulda been a Storm book or whatever. Except being a Storm book or whatever instead isn't the point of those books, and those books' existence wouldn't be stopping them from making a Storm book (or whatever) alongside them.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by J. D. Guy View Post
    The perspective you are looking at those particular books is what's tone deaf, especially when you mentioned they coulda been a Storm book or whatever. Except being a Storm book or whatever instead isn't the point of those books, and those books' existence wouldn't be stopping them from making a Storm book (or whatever) alongside them.
    Actually a good point there. Nothing's stopping Marvel from putting out a Storm book except Marvel itself. That's what it amounts to in the end.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Mighty Member

Can we focus on the Black female characters that we love. I was hoping that we could actually talk about things that we hope happen to them in the comic books, cartoon, tv shows and movies in the near future. Hell lets do some fan casting. Arguing about the amount of Blackness in Monet or anyone else is not doing anything for our mental health. Is gonna be what it is. Some see her as Black and others dont. Case closed.

Extraordinary Member Silver Fang's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Paleo_Rage View Post
    Can we focus on the Black female characters that we love. I was hoping that we could actually talk about things that we hope happen to them in the comic books, cartoon, tv shows and movies in the near future. Hell lets do some fan casting. Arguing about the amount of Blackness in Monet or anyone else is not doing anything for our mental health. Is gonna be what it is. Some see her as Black and others dont. Case closed.
    Sadly if you put Monet and "black" in the same sentence there's always that "anti-black" brigaid that swoops in to argue the lack of blackness & that it's wrong. lol

Went through this same thing with Yoruichi in Bleach. Got to a point that the topic of her race was banned on one forum.
    Yoruichi.jpg

Given her complexion, as well as stereotypes like her having a big butt, being the fastest character in the manga, having an afro during a dance sequence, and liking watermelon many saw her as black but you always got the crew swooping in to declare she's Egyptian (which isn't a race), Indian, or Arab.

Never fails. But yes. Always best ignoring & continuing previous discussion. IN any case I am hoping Monet has a better role in Giant Size than she did in Empyre, which she arguably didn't even need to be in.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    That will never happen. These colorists don’t work together (unlike animated studios).

Half of them don’t use the same colorist program or technique.
    It's more than the colorists, they need editors to green light their work for printing. And they're not all on indepedent projects, they all work for big companies like Marvel and DC. It's hard to say how unconscious or not it is but something is occurring to allow this to happen on a big scale. Its cultural, and it's still happening. The first time I noticed this was when I was reading DC Comics, for the longest time I thought Connor Hawke was white because that's how he was colored. This was how he first appeared:

Most of his appearances are like this:

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Inquisitor View Post
    It's more than the colorists, they need editors to green light their work for printing. And they're not all on indepedent projects, they all work for big companies like Marvel and DC. It's hard to say how unconscious or not it is but something is occurring to allow this to happen on a big scale. Its cultural, and it's still happening. The first time I noticed this was when I was reading DC Comics, for the longest time I thought Connor Hawke was white because that's how he was colored. This was how he first appeared:

Most of his appearances are like this:

Whaaaat? thats crazy! lol
    GrindrStone(D)

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Fang View Post
    Went through this same thing with Yoruichi in Bleach. Got to a point that the topic of her race was banned on one forum.
    Yoruichi.jpg

Given her complexion, as well as stereotypes like her having a big butt, being the fastest character in the manga, having an afro during a dance sequence, and liking watermelon many saw her as black but you always got the crew swooping in to declare she's Egyptian (which isn't a race), Indian, or Arab.
    She looks a lot like Karima Shapandar. Pretty sure you know where I'm going with that.

Also Egyptian IS an ethnicity. IE the people that lived in Egypt before the Arabs took over. Most of the modern population of Egypt is Arabs. But it hasn't always been that way.

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    She looks a lot like Karima Shapandar. Pretty sure you know where I'm going with that.

Also Egyptian IS an ethnicity. IE the people that lived in Egypt before the Arabs took over.
    No it's not as the Nubians are an ethnic group WITHIN Egypt and I think the Berbs are another one....I think ....lol
    Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    Most of the modern population of Egypt is Arabs. But it hasn't always been that way.
    I don't think it is now....since this is a genetic breakdown of the pop.
    capture-jpg-700x.jpg
    GrindrStone(D)

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by BroHomo View Post
    Whaaaat? thats crazy! lol
    Yeah. Most people don’t realize Connor is half white, a quarter black and a quarter Asian.

Which still makes him blasian. For lack of a better word.

Quote Originally Posted by Micabe View Post
    Off-topic but who is that beside Jubilee?

Extraordinary Member Silver Fang's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleB View Post
    Off-topic but who is that beside Jubilee?
    Sean Cassidy. They're teacher.