Page 10 of 39 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast

I said this in the Storm thread along time ago but it bears repeating: it's all about exposure outside of the X-universe. Have these characters appear in comics outside of X-titles, have them interact with other non-mutant heroes and face non-mutant villains. Have them connected to other people besides mutants, add some mystery to their background.

In other words overexpose the hell out of them inside and outside the X-verse. Why can't Frenzy be an Avenger(Sunspot, Sam, Wolverine, Rogue)? Why couldn't Celia Reyes be on Strikeforce? Tempo couldn't join the Future Foundation?

Stop limiting the opportunities for these characters and stop thinking that they can only be in books about mutants and dealing with mutant issues.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    What does that even mean??

"Relatable black characters" it sound derogatory.

And where is the data to suppose that claim.

Folks were not going nuts over Black Panther because he was relatable. They were happy to finally see a movie with a black lead as the main start. Same with Miles, Static and Blade.

Because for the longest they got told NO. With reasons ranging from bigoted, racism, privilege and business reasons.

Our kids got tired of see white kids do whatever no matter how what with no excuse. Yet they saw excuses tossed out to them.

And Storm stands out so much-she has to get development in SOMEONE ELSE'S book.

She has 15 solo issues (ongoing and mini).

Most appearances in comics of any Marvel female.

Yet Moon Girl and Ms Marvel have more solo issues than her and both have not been around more than 9 years.

Moon Girl is the most successful solo black female among the big two. She did it with no variants, few very few guest stars and no events.

Ms Marvel will surpass Cassandra Cain as the most solo issues of an Asian character in November.

So what is the excuse for Storm? Monet? Even Bishop?

How many more Miles Morales starter kits are going to bypass them?
    Yeah, relatability isn't the only reason people read comics.

I'm a huge Iron Man fan and I'm neither rich nor white. I just think he's a cool guy in armor.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post
    I said this in the Storm thread along time ago but it bears repeating: it's all about exposure outside of the X-universe. Have these characters appear in comics outside of X-titles, have them interact with other non-mutant heroes and face non-mutant villains. Have them connected to other people besides mutants, add some mystery to their background.

In other words overexpose the hell out of them inside and outside the X-verse. Why can't Frenzy be an Avenger(Sunspot, Sam, Wolverine, Rogue)? Why couldn't Celia Reyes be on Strikeforce? Tempo couldn't join the Future Foundation?

Stop limiting the opportunities for these characters and stop thinking that they can only be in books about mutants and dealing with mutant issues.
    Frenzy has killed humans just for being humans (innocents). Tempo similarly hates humans.
    Cecelia has no choice to be a mutant but she constantly does not want to be a superhero.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    Frenzy has killed humans just for being humans (innocents). Tempo similarly hates humans.
    Cecelia has no choice to be a mutant but she constantly does not want to be a superhero.
    People change. If you don't allow characters to grow then nothing will change. That falls on the writers.

That was her spiel 23 years ago when she was created and first coming to terms with her powers. She;s changed considerably, has delved deep into her mutant lore, embraced her powers and consistently returns to the X-men. She hasnt been running away or denying what she is for quite some time. I actually dont think being on a strike force suits her (bc she isnt a combatant) but she makes for an excellent support character. She can be a superhero and use her abilities in other ways

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    That was her spiel 23 years ago when she was created and first coming to terms with her powers. She;s changed considerably, has delved deep into her mutant lore, embraced her powers and consistently returns to the X-men. She hasnt been running away or denying what she is for quite some time. I actually dont think being on a strike force suits her (bc she isnt a combatant) but she makes for an excellent support character. She can be a superhero and use her abilities in other ways
    Just make sure any X-Men nurses stay far away from her.

Edit: Oops. I thought you were talking about Frenzy. But you meant Cecelia.
    Last edited by Will Evans; 08-15-2020 at 05:48 AM.

Magneto is a supremist, Emma Frost is constantly doing something messed up and Dr Nemesis was Nazi. That doesn't stop them from being used. Conflict and Drama is what drives these books the reason Rogue, Gambit, Wolverine and many more were popular because they were antagonists on very team they were on and they slowly grew into great dependable heroes.

The biggest failure of Gambit and Rogue why they aren't as popular anymore is that they have taken away their edge too much. Which in a way is fine because another character a chance to step in as "the loose canon"

For X-men and even for the Avengers( Scarlet Witch, Quicksilver, Hawkeye,etc) characters being villains and loose canons being redeem are in the dna of the book. I am glad some fans don't get to write books because they put together some boring teams that always get along.

Lastly Celia Reyes is pretty much over that characterization I am pretty sure Margerie Lui run on the Astonishing X-men she clearly moved on from that but even if I am remembering wrong I am pretty sure all those crisis where they hunting mutants and she was forced be around the X-men again has changed her mind.

People change. If you don't allow characters to grow then nothing will change. That falls on the writers.
    Sadly, I think that some authors change the characters, make them grow but other authors like them exactly how they were before like Magneto.
    The result is a mess.
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

Astonishing Member

They don't have to change the much to rise high in Krakoa. Gorgon, who nearly destroyed Madripoor a few years back by unleashing a huge dragon on it, is a high ranking Hand and HYDRA leader - who claim to fame before that was by "auditioning" with a terrorist cult he created himself a teenager. They made him their "bodyguard" equal to Cyclops at a global summit. Apocalypse does whatever he wants to Excalibur and Xavier couldn't care less, all he has do is show loyalty to the Krakoa government, shift into a sexy form and be nicer to people while he does horrible things.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    For X-men and even for the Avengers (Scarlet Witch, Quicksilver, Hawkeye, etc) characters being villains and loose canons being redeem are in the dna of the book.
    Tempo's pretty much at the same place Scarlet Witch, Hawkeye, Wonder Man, Quicksilver, Swordsman, Vision, Black Widow, etc. (various Avengers who started out as foes) started.

Frenzy has a bigger lift, since she actually killed someone as a villain, but it's still doable.

Wolverine and Deadpool have big body counts, and they've both been Avengers. (And I'm not in love with that, in either case, since I like the Avengers to have *slightly* higher standards than that, but the precedent is there, and I'd rather see someone like Frenzy get that 'well, just to keep an eye on her, I guess' pass than either of the regenerating stabby-shoot boys in any case. It might even go in a 'supervised work-release' situation, where another member of the team is actually serving as a sort of parole officer, and she's serving out a sentence, with her time as an Avenger counting as time served. A much less sketchy version of DC's Suicide Squad.)

A writer might even try to backsplain the killing by rationalizing that somebody (Exodus? Anna-Marie Cortez? Spoor? Some creepy empath/telepath we didn't see?) was inflaming the anti-human sentiments and pushing the various Acolytes into being more murder-y at the time, and give her a partial out (which might also fanwank why she's usually not so over-the-top neck-snappy). So, thanks to mental influence, she might get backed down to manslaughter, instead of murder, allowing her to get by with a lesser sentence.

It's do-able. For a writer willing to put the five minutes thought into it I just did.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post

The cartoon version of Aqualad became gay because of the COMIC.

Firstly, cartoon Aqualad is bisexual not gay. Secondly, it's the other way around. Greg Weisman wanted to have him be bisexual but couldn't because of Cartoon Network's censorship. Since the show is no longer on CN, it was no longer an issue.

Extraordinary Member

I not sure what race Marrow is suppose to be, but she also helped kill an entire club of innocent humans, just for being humans.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spinster Sinister View Post
    I'd say Magik got a push beyond just being Colossus' sister. Writers/editorial really took strides to make her happen with appearances outside of the X-Books, a central role in the revamped New Mutants, a radical redesign (including being one of three adult X-Men in a flagship), a big role in a crossover (AvX), one-shots, miniseries, and mini-events (X-Infernus).

It's very similar to how intentional Marvel was/is with Cable and Deadpool--the majority of these stories might be bad or mediocre, but we'll keep trying!

Would love to see the same effort into Monet who has a big horror family lore to explore, off-topic but Bishop who has time-traveling adventures in him as much as Cable.

That intent and follow through just has to be there.
    Was mostly saying it to highlight that the few breakouts even then are still connected in some way to the initial breakouts.

I do agree however that the movement to push a character matters the most. Which is what ingrains a character.

I also agree with another sentiment, that usage outside of X-titles helps ingratiate people to certain characters who they may have no been.

Like there are fans of Rogue, who are fans entirely due to her run time in Avengers. Like I know a not insignificant amount of comic readers, who very much want her to be THE Avengers leader for a while.

And it might be blasphemous to say, but POC and LGBTQ characters are getting a lot more screen time outside of X-men, than within them.

is there a comprehensive list of who is still currently alive? Why not a team of black female mutants for a mini series...?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    is there a comprehensive list of who is still currently alive? Why not a team of black female mutants for a mini series...?
    You'd have to find more black female mutants to create a female team.