Page 15 of 39 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617181925 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Fang View Post
    Any time she's drawn? Did you ever see her in Generation X? You're gonna tell me none of these look black to you?
    Attachment 99812
    Attachment 99814

And when she first appeared as a character, she looked like this.
    Attachment 99813
    Still not black?

With Monet it's reversed. her father is black. Meanwhile because there was a white character named St. Croix, people headcanon it as her grandfather & use that to say she's not black. A white Ancestor doesn't = white.

Her skin has gotten whiter and her features have changed because in general, America still deals with tons of racial bias & they don't advertise what's seen as "too black."

The Rock is mixed but he's VERY ambiguous-looking & could pass for damn near any & everything. But in general, his blackness is not focused on much as a celebrity. During his years in wrestling, his Samoan heritage got all the attention, as a result he's not recognized by many fans as the first black WWE Champion, and instead Kofi gets that attention. Namely because he looks more black & many black people can identify with him before they can The Rock, who's seen as getting a lot more opportunity because he's "not too black." As someone questioned, would he & Vin Diesel be getting so much push & stardom if they were dark as Tyrese.

Storm's skin has gotten tan like Halle Berry over the years. Only time they really use dark skinned black women is if they're villains. Otherwise, they mostly stay in the back to get used sparingly if they aren't lightened up & toned down.
    She never looked black to me. To me she looks half Monacan half Algerian.
    TO KNOW HER IS TO FEAR HER: JESSICA DREW THE SPIDER-WOMAN
    BE SURE TO CHECK OUT THE NEW 2024 SPIDER-WOMAN SERIES by STEVE FOXE!!!

MISSING:
    Synch's Aura
    Northstar and Aurora's shiny hair
    Spider-Woman’s cowl costume

Quote Originally Posted by Leirus View Post
    Biracial and black are the same thing in the States anyway, no?
    LOL...no its not.

Funny that in order for a character to be black, it has to be "declared" and"proven." But if they're anything else, it's fine. Wolverine never has to declare his whiteness.

I don't think Synch ever said he was black, so I guess he's not either.

Darn, did Frenzy ever say she was black, if not we have no black X-characters besides Storm...and did she ever even say she was black? From Africa, sure but since it's different races in Africa, she may not be black either, if she didn't specify. Tsk tsk.
    lol Yes! the only bright spot in this ignorantly common discussion

Quote Originally Posted by blinkingblah View Post
    She is biracial at this point in time. Until I see otherwise that is where I stand. Stop making her something that she is definitively not. Fans and colorist alike.
    I don't see how that doesnt also mean shes black.

It is not like that. When M showed up her father had not been introduced yet, just the white looking Saint Croix old man, who was in the Mutant underground movement. At the time I assumed she was just some mix of french and algerian. Since then she has been drawn more arab bereber looking and more black looking. You do not need to assume bad faith just because people thought an algerian caracter with a french surname was some mix of french and algerian.
    Again She is all those things...French...Algerian..Mutant..Muslim..Black

Quote Originally Posted by danielsan52 View Post
    She never looked black to me. To me she looks half Monacan half Algerian.
    You seriously narrowed it down to specific countries?
    Last edited by BroHomo; 08-16-2020 at 04:52 PM.
    GrindrStone(D)

Extraordinary Member Silver Fang's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    LOL...no its not.
    Not much more to add than this. lol

Well until many others see otherwise, she's black given how she was predominantly drawn in her very first appearance & GenX. She never declared to be biracial either. Stop making her biracial which isn't definitive either. See, the dismissal goes both ways. lol

And if one really doesn't care about her race, it shouldn't bother them that some will classify her as black given how she looked early on.
    Just check your facts dude. Do a Wikipedia search. I have read Gen X since day one.

Whoa I am talking about the fans in this forum not the colorist. I am a huge fan of M and not everyone has their facts in order. I just don't like people making a character something that she may or may not be. I don't care what that character becomes just idon't act as if there's already a flag planted in place telling you which one it is that's what gets me a little annoyed. My eyes she is biracial because she has never said otherwise. I love M for her personality not her race.
    I’m confused by your statement. You can very easily be bi or multiracial and still consider yourself black.

LOL...no its not.
    Well, not if it is between any other ethnicities, but in the States any amount of black and white is always black. Like Kamala Harris is black, when in Europe she would be seen as birracial. I am not american, btw, it is always helpful if you explain instead of going lol.

Just check your facts dude. Do a Wikipedia search. I have read Gen X since day one.
    I'm not a "dude", and there's no facts for me to check. Reading GenX and being familiar with Monet's character is enough. lol

LOL...no its not.
    Ehhh it depends on what features you inherit/are expressed
    GrindrStone(D)

She’s bi-racial and I think that’s awesome. We need more bi-racial characters.
    TO KNOW HER IS TO FEAR HER: JESSICA DREW THE SPIDER-WOMAN
    BE SURE TO CHECK OUT THE NEW 2024 SPIDER-WOMAN SERIES by STEVE FOXE!!!

MISSING:
    Synch's Aura
    Northstar and Aurora's shiny hair
    Spider-Woman’s cowl costume

Quote Originally Posted by BroHomo View Post
    Again She is all those things...French...Algerian..Mutant..Muslim..Black
    Of course she is, now. I was just saying that when she first appeared she could have easily been understood as french/algerian.

I'm not a "dude", and there's no facts for me to check. Reading GenX and being familiar with Monet's character is enough. lol
    Sorry to call you dude. I'm going to agree to disagree with you.

Well, not if it is between any other ethnicities, but in the States any amount of black and white is always black. Like Kamala Harris is black, when in Europe she would be seen as birracial. I am not american, btw, it is always helpful if you explain instead of going lol.
    It depends on how the person looks which determines how much black they actually got.

Example The Rock is biracial.

But for the most part, he's recognized as biracial or Samoan.

If he's referred to as just "black", it's as controversial as Monet is right now. Even among black people who don't think he counts as an advertisement for black given how ambiguous he is which is pleasing & passing among the non-white media. When he wanted to play John Henry, he got a HUGE amount of blow-back on that and wasn't chosen either.

On the flip, people like Obama or Tia & Tamera Mowrey are biracial but classified as black without much blow-back because they look more black than anything else. They clearly got a heavier dosage of black than The Rock did.

If they get pulled over by the police, they'll get harrassed as black quicker than the Rock will, and it's still many people who don't know he's half-black and just recently found out.
    Last edited by Silver Fang; 08-16-2020 at 05:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by danielsan52 View Post
    She’s bi-racial and I think that’s awesome. We need more bi-racial characters.
    Yesssss to highlight the ignorance/confusion most fans have over the difference between race/ethnicity/nationality/hair color,
    &so the characters can be portrayed onscreen by a white actor but Hey, that's half right so oh well!
    GrindrStone(D)

Maybe if one is non-black thats the attitude you have but its quite an oversimplification. A black person knows theres a difference between a black and biracial individual. Theres a level of racism associated by lumping al into the same category especially since their experience is not the same. This isnt the thread for it, but society just viewing any biracial as black comes with its own problematic issues which is felt across industries and every day life