Page 4 of 39 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    So if you owned a business and you knew there was an undeserved segment of people with money that could increase your bottom line you would tell your employees to do what they believe in rather than to adjust your business practice to increase your wealth and serve all customers better?
    I said I prefered authors that believe in what they do, I’m not a publisher.

Interesting authors have varied characters, they know it would look odd that all characters in a comic are white, nowadays…
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

Quote Originally Posted by Zelena View Post
    Interesting authors are also interested by showing the humanity in all its diversity. Also, when people from all the world were enrolled in the X-men, it was a way of saying: “Xavier’s message, dream was universal.” I prefer authors that believe in what they do rather than obeying to quotas.

Of course, eventually, they don’t make comics for themselves. So, in my opinion, it’s between the editor and the author: comics need to be read and the readership, satisfied.

So then the solution is to hire writers that value diversity, which should honestly be a prerequisite for writing the X-Men.

Extraordinary Member

During the first half of New Mutants, Claremont had Stevie Hunter as a teacher of the team. Serving as a mentor, whenever Charles or Magneto weren’t around.

Making her an unofficial member like Moira was to the X-Men.

While black female contributions to the team, outside of Storm is low, the X-Men have had a lot of Indian female members like Omega Sentinel, Dr Rao, and Trinary.

But this play into the higher factor of large Asian female influence on the team but low Asian male influence: barely any Sunfire, Indra or Neal Sahara. Meanwhile: Kwannon, Jubilee, Sway, Deathstrike, Surge, Armor, etc.
    Last edited by Will Evans; 08-11-2020 at 10:02 AM.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    I always saw Monet’s grandfather as a light skinned black.
    This is the only picture I've ever seen of him, is there any others? He's clearly white here.

In the end it doesn't matter, Monet is black, but she's also a couple of other things which don't erase her black heritage, just as her being black doesn't erase her other heritage.

I just think that the artists who drew her in lighter shades only drew her as French-Algerian and didn't bother to find out her whole origin rather than intending to whitewash her.

Quote Originally Posted by cyclops_was_right View Post
    This is the only picture I've ever seen of him, is there any others? He's clearly white here.

In the end it doesn't matter, Monet is black, but she's also a couple of other things which don't erase her black heritage, just as her being black doesn't erase her other heritage.

I just think that the artists who drew her in lighter shades only drew her as French-Algerian and didn't bother to find out her whole origin rather than intending to whitewash her.
    I wouldn't say clearly white. My older brother and sister are lighter than he is in that picture and i'm darker than monet.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    So if you owned a business and you knew there was an under served segment of people with money that could increase your bottom line you would tell your employees to do what they believe in rather than to adjust your business practice to increase your wealth and serve all customers better?
    Try to entice those people while still making money from your existing customer base.
    "Cable was right!"

Extraordinary Member

There is another comic where he’s talking to Xavier. He didn’t have wavy hair in that one though.

Mighty Member

Also, for those in the bac,k Jet Stream was never considered Black by anyone. It was always known he was a brown North African man.

Also, another addition is Pirouette, she was a genoshan mutant. Jo Beth should have been added to the X factor cast tbh. Another missed opportunity by Pad. She would have been a good member.It also started Guido's love of Black women lol.
    https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Jo_Beth_(Earth-616)

Extraordinary Member

I always thought Guido was mostly after Lila. With the occasional interest in his teammates like Lorna and Monet.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    I always thought Guido was mostly after Lila. With the occasional interest in his teammates like Lorna and Monet.
    Well this was a side storyline with Jo Beth, he had lila, and then really he flirted with Polaris and then there was Monet.

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    Try to entice those people while still making money from your existing customer base.
    Exactly which a 30% quota would ensure.

Team of 7 = 2.1 for each race which rounds down to two

examples

Wolverine, Jean, insert other racial percentages.

Cyclops, Betsy- insert other racial precentages

Warren, rogue- insert other racial percentages

if those white characters are so "essential" i don't see why people wouldn't still get the book to see them if that were the case.

heck a team of 9 you get 2.7 so we can round that up to 3.

example"
    jean, wolverine, scott, insert people of color.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.

Though Monet is pretty mixed race-wise. Her paternal grandfather was white IIRC and her Algerian mother looks Arabic in origin. Doesn't mean Monet isn't black, but these other things are also a part of her heritage.

Looking at the way she was drawn in Generation X, her looks originally leaned towards her Algerian rather than her black roots.

As Kingdom X's question was about M's ethnic background, I think it's best to give the full picture. The whole thing with M is not as simple as her being black and whitewashed. Her background is such that she could easily end up looking in some of the lighter tones she has been drawn. There are plenty of mixed race people out there who also can be represented in the media. I'm not saying they should draw Monet as white, but there's nothing wrong as drawing her Arabic with darker skin than most Algerian women have (some of whom have a shade of skin almost as pale as a white person).

She’s not black. She’s mixed race. And we needed a mixed race character.

Now let’s add established mutants to one of the teams. Lightbright. Laura Dean....
    Last edited by danielsan52; 08-11-2020 at 11:00 AM.
    TO KNOW HER IS TO FEAR HER: JESSICA DREW THE SPIDER-WOMAN
    BE SURE TO CHECK OUT THE NEW 2024 SPIDER-WOMAN SERIES by STEVE FOXE!!!

MISSING:
    Synch's Aura
    Northstar and Aurora's shiny hair
    Spider-Woman’s cowl costume

I’d love to see these two !
    Attached Images Attached Images
    TO KNOW HER IS TO FEAR HER: JESSICA DREW THE SPIDER-WOMAN
    BE SURE TO CHECK OUT THE NEW 2024 SPIDER-WOMAN SERIES by STEVE FOXE!!!

MISSING:
    Synch's Aura
    Northstar and Aurora's shiny hair
    Spider-Woman’s cowl costume

Quote Originally Posted by danielsan52 View Post

Now let’s add established mutants to one of the teams. Lightbright. Laura Dean....
    I've never seen the one drop rule added in reverse. That's interesting. In that case theres a HUGE number of unrepresented black people in america that are mixed as if they don't have a white grand father somewhere along the line there was a white great great great grandfather or great great great grandmother, especially those who are descended from slaves.
    Last edited by jwatson; 08-11-2020 at 11:26 AM.
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by danielsan52 View Post

She black.