Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default All New X-Factor 12 Preview (Spoilers)

The press conference issue is finally here!!

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...eview&id=23082

Incredible Member

Really happy with the preview because obviously (look at my name). I like that we see Pietro asks Havok if the Avengers really need him as a person and not just as a power set. I think his inclusion in Avengers Academy was because he fit there as a person, but most of the other times in the Avengers, he really is just the fast guy. It's going to be sad when he does go back to the Avengers because of the movie.
    Also, I like the foreshadowing with Luna, and it seems Pietro might actually be slightly peeved at Wanda for M-Day. So now I've got two theories for Wanda being in issue 14: either she wants to go see her brother because she thinks he's avoiding her OR, she gets called in to see if she can find Georgia's parents who might still be alive somewhere.

Astonishing Member Lucyinthesky's Avatar

Love this preview, specially with both Luna and Wanda on the way. Great to see Pietro having the time to deal with House of M, Wanda being back, Lorna and his daughter, it was about time imo

Quote Originally Posted by Quicksilverfan
    Also, I like the foreshadowing with Luna, and it seems Pietro might actually be slightly peeved at Wanda for M-Day. So now I've got two theories for Wanda being in issue 14: either she wants to go see her brother because she thinks he's avoiding her OR, she gets called in to see if she can find Georgia's parents who might still be alive somewhere.
    I think itīs the first option, Wanda has been feeling isolated from the Avengers too even with Wasp and Wonderman on Uncanny Avengers, so she thinking Pietro is also being distant with her because of HOM could be enough to make her go looking for him.Itīs also a nice change imo, given most of the time heīs the one looking out for her. She also could be curious about Lorna.
    Last edited by Lucyinthesky; 08-14-2014 at 09:35 PM.
    "To the X-men then, who donīt die the old fashioned way and no matter how hard we try, none of us die forever" Uncanny X-Men #270, Jean and Ororo

Magneto: The master of magnetism Appreciation 2022
    Polaris: The Mistress of Magnetism Appreciation 2022
    House of M Appreciation 2022

Extraordinary Member

Wow, PAD really makes Havok look bad, bad-mouthing his old team and being a mouthpiece for the Avengers. Pandering to the X-fan base? Maybe, but it's fun.

Quote Originally Posted by gurkle View Post
    Wow, PAD really makes Havok look bad, bad-mouthing his old team and being a mouthpiece for the Avengers. Pandering to the X-fan base? Maybe, but it's fun.
    Havok makes himself look bad....Havok is canonically a jerk

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by S.k.i.d. View Post
    Havok makes himself look bad....Havok is canonically a jerk
    Well I don't know if he's a jerk per say. From what I've read of him, he's wishy-washy. Always doubting himself and his actions, being one way about something and then completely reversing his position. Sometimes it's endearing, and sometimes I just want to shake him and scream "make up your damn mind Havok!"

I found that amusing, and while it definitely makes him look like a jerk, I don't consider it to be the same thing as badmouthing his old team. His old team was a government-sponsored entity, this one is a corporate-sponsored one with dubious intent from its owner. Also, I think Alex going all "the Avengers are the best thing ever" about things is a pure sign of his inferiority complex, and his willingness to abandon things that supposedly mean something to him if something seemingly better comes along. He moves back and forth between supporting mutants and wanting nothing to do with them, and right now he's in the phase of wanting nothing to do with them but trying to reconcile that by thinking and acting like he's supporting them by saying the word they self-identify with, and therefore their entire culture, should be tossed out the window so they can be more "accepted" by the broader society. Whether Alex (or maybe even Remender and Brevoort) knows it or not, Havok is written as being so full of himself that he's essentially saying all mutants should follow his example in what he had to do to become an Avenger.

On the flipside, I found Havok's remarks about Lorna seeming to have it together and not needing Pietro to spy on her anymore to be a rare positive note for him in his treatment of Lorna, as I've seen it. It's also a positive move since his first appearance on ANXF. Before, he sounded like a possessive ex-lover that wanted to sort of retain ownership of her from afar and didn't believe she could do things for herself. This time, you can see him showing more faith in Lorna than he's previously shown, and that hints at what could be a much better relationship between them when/if they get back together at some point in the future.

His desire to keep abreast of what's going on with Lorna for that short term, even though he essentially abandoned her before joining the Avengers also shows that at least in Lorna's case, some part of him does care about her. He didn't just full out wash his hands of her and never look back.

Quote Originally Posted by Quicksilverfan View Post
    Well I don't know if he's a jerk per say. From what I've read of him, he's wishy-washy. Always doubting himself and his actions, being one way about something and then completely reversing his position. Sometimes it's endearing, and sometimes I just want to shake him and scream "make up your damn mind Havok!"
    In the immortal words of Lorna, "Why did you have to be such a Summers about it?"

God I wish I had a chance to get a picture of that and post it instead of plain text right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Andru View Post
    I doubt the Marvel characters base their worthiness based on how well their respective books sell.
    Character attitudes toward other characters, teams and events can be, and are, dictated by how the executives, editors and writers feel about Marvel and everything in it. We've all seen plenty of cases where a character that some guy hates gets treated like crap just because the person writing said character has no respect for them or their fans. Children's Crusade, Avengers vs X-Men and from the looks of it Axis all exclude Lorna even though all three objectively should include her. That's human beings, working on a product to sell, letting biases decide where characters are allowed to be instead of letting the characters' history and values dictate that for them.

We then end up with excuses forcibly written in for why a character can't do this thing or that thing, such as how obvious it was that the sides chosen in Regenesis were determined by editorial mandate before any thought went into story and character reasons. That's the one big, glaring fault I see in Marvel's books at the moment: holding personal and business motives in higher regard than what fits the story and characters.

Quote Originally Posted by cybrestrike View Post
    It is kinda odd. Cypher used to be the one ladies were attracted to--pre-ninja Psylocke (yes it was a bit squicky but was back the CC days), Shadowcat (never went anywhere but he could have pulled that if he actually tried), Wolfsbane, and Roulette.

I'd really like to see Polaris move on from Havok. And Quicksilver ought to get with someone new after the whole Crystal/Black Knight mess.
    I'm open to whatever happens between Lorna and Alex, whether they stay apart forever (unlikely) or eventually get back together. The only things I ask are: 1) that they stay apart for 10 years before making moves to get back together, and 2) if they do get back together, they're treated as equals in the relationship, and the relationship shows admirable traits that would make you see why both partners want to be in the relationship. Both characters need to be established well enough as their own characters for writers to not use the bad relationship template they keep getting sucked back into.

In the meantime, I'm definitely open to Lorna having relations with other guys, girls, robots, whatever works! The two most common suggestions I've seen are Iceman and Gambit. Iceman because he's the second man in the Lorna-Alex-Bobby triangle, and Gambit because of both Wolverine and the X-Men and the Gambit stripper from Austen's run. I can see plenty of common ground between Lorna and Remy, so I think they're a natural pair as long as their relationship isn't imbalanced where one is made out to be better than the other. Lorna's more at risk of being treated like a lesser partner than Remy, considering all the stuff Remy's had like solo books, several cartoon and video game appearances, a possible upcoming film dedicated exclusively to him, etc.

If we wanted to carry relations on into deeper Maury levels, Lorna could hook up with Vision. He's made of metal, right?

EDIT: Aaaand I see fod_xp got the scan of Lorna's quote and posted it shortly before my post. Timing! It happens.
    I can also be reached on BlueSky and Tumblr. Avatar by kahlart.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

Polaris 50th anniversary minicomic written by me and drawn by Mlad!

Gallery of Polaris commissions (without NSFW or minicomics)

Great scene, looking forward to reading this. Carmine is a machine, it's crazy this title has STILL not seen a fill-in. I know there is one soon but no-fill ins in a year, with a bunch of issues double-shipped in one month, that's unheard of today.
    Image Comics (TPB):
    Saga, Southern Bastards, Injection, Descender, Deadly Class, Chew, Black Magick

DC Rebirth (Digital):
    The Flash, Batman, Green Lanterns, Aquaman

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by salarta View Post
    EDIT: Aaaand I see fod_xp got the scan of Lorna's quote and posted it shortly before my post. Timing! It happens.
    It's those Summers Brothers crapping all over the good things in their lives. Havok ditching Lorna for that ***** Nurse Annie, and then later ditching Polaris for the Avengers and then sending her estranged half brother to covertly spy on her.

The only reason I am still mad at Scott is he strangled Emma Frost at the end of AvX. I don't really much give a damn about the rest. That was the Rubicon for me in terms of Scott losing my love for him. He broke Emma's heart, and to be honest, mine.

Quote Originally Posted by salarta View Post
    Character attitudes toward other characters, teams and events can be, and are, dictated by how the executives, editors and writers feel about Marvel and everything in it. We've all seen plenty of cases where a character that some guy hates gets treated like crap just because the person writing said character has no respect for them or their fans. Children's Crusade, Avengers vs X-Men and from the looks of it Axis all exclude Lorna even though all three objectively should include her. That's human beings, working on a product to sell, letting biases decide where characters are allowed to be instead of letting the characters' history and values dictate that for them.

We then end up with excuses forcibly written in for why a character can't do this thing or that thing, such as how obvious it was that the sides chosen in Regenesis were determined by editorial mandate before any thought went into story and character reasons. That's the one big, glaring fault I see in Marvel's books at the moment: holding personal and business motives in higher regard than what fits the story and characters.
    I am not sure what our points have to do with one another?

I was pointing out the fact that sales numbers in the real world do not affect the viewpoints of fictional characters. You seem to be focused on a writer's personal feelings and the effect it has on their writing of a certain character.

These are two unrelated things.

BANNED

Default Can't Wait!

Quote Originally Posted by Lucyinthesky View Post
    Love this preview, specially with both Luna and Wanda on the way. Great to see Pietro having the time to deal with House of M, Wanda being back, Lorna and his daughter, it('s) was about time imo ...
    Quote Originally Posted by NewMutant View Post
    This might be the best scene I've read in the title since it launched.
    Quote Originally Posted by cc008 View Post
    Well, this is a pretty awesome preview
    Quote Originally Posted by Andru View Post
    Very excited for this issue! The more Pietro the better.
    Quote Originally Posted by baltiroo View Post
    Loving the preview and PAD writes an incredible Pietro. Can't wait for the inevitable Wanda interactions (not to mention Luna). ... Very frustrated that Lorna does not seem to be featuring into the Genosha storyline of AXIS, but I really like this new iteration of X-Factor and can't wait for more.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivka View Post
    I love this preview! That was "meta" indeed! ... This is character-growth for Quicksilver. I like to think that this is the result of him being with his other sister, as he says ; he needs to take care of a sister, kind of his thing since the 1960s.

I love Carmine's art so much! I hope people pre-order this issue and kick-up the numbers. (Although I buy digitally these days, so I don't know that the Diamond List is as valid any more.)

This is the kind of writing starring the Magnus Family that I've been waiting for, for years. Can't wait to read the entire comic.
    I could've kept on going & quoted A LOT more posts, but the above - the bolded & especially the bigger - is a fairly perfect sampling of EXACTLY how I feel about this preview & upcoming ish, as well as 13 & 14!! This preview has made me want to go back to my not so LCS for the first time in quite a few years, just so I can purchase some actual hard copies - also for the first time in quite a few years - of #12 & the next few! HUGE props to PAD!!!... For wanting to do it, and to Marvel too I suppose, for agreeing to it. They may not be as enthusiastic about the extended Magnus Family as we would like, just yet, but they seem to be coming around more & more... just little by little, unfortunately.
    Last edited by Heroine Addict; 08-16-2014 at 01:12 PM.

If e wrote Havok as anything but a a**, he would be working against all the character development that Remeder has put into Havok He is righting the same Alex as Remeder is.

Nevermind, I wasted my time. Nothing to see here.
    Last edited by Neko; 08-15-2014 at 06:43 PM.
    "My superpower? I'm irresistible to women." Gambit- ANXF #9
    Gambit's kittens: Oliver, Lucifer and Figaro: Oliver and Company.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by jmc247 View Post
    The press conference issue is finally here!!

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...eview&id=23082

It's a shame that Gambit is seemingly the only male on the team getting any action. This cover would have us believe that when compared to QS and Cypher he is a neutered Ken Doll. Snow's wife backed (or banged) the wrong horse, apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by juliankeller View Post
    It's a shame that Gambit is seemingly the only male on the team getting any action. This cover would have us believe that when compared to QS and Cypher he is a neutered Ken Doll. Snow's wife backed (or banged) the wrong horse, apparently.
    It is kinda odd. Cypher used to be the one ladies were attracted to--pre-ninja Psylocke (yes it was a bit squicky but was back the CC days), Shadowcat (never went anywhere but he could have pulled that if he actually tried), Wolfsbane, and Roulette.

I'd really like to see Polaris move on from Havok. And Quicksilver ought to get with someone new after the whole Crystal/Black Knight mess.
    Storm Wolverine Nightcrawler Colossus Shadowcat Rogue Phoenix Magneto
    Mirage Cannonball Karma Sunspot Wolfsbane Magik Magma Cypher Warlock
    Jubilee Synch M Chamber Skin Husk