Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
    Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by salarta View Post
    Verbal communication is different from written communication. I'm pretty sure you meant the latter, but I'm saying that just to keep things on the same page. It's certainly possible to interpret an image in multiple ways, there's always a way to interpret anything in many ways because a lot of art in all its forms is at the mercy of reader/viewer/player prejudice. However, there's more risk of something in writing to get misinterpreted than with art. I'm saying this regardless of level of experience.
    Your original post stated that it was harder for the writer to ensure quality and spots mistakes than for artist. I say that quality control in art is in no way shape or form "easier". There are many mistakes like overcomplicated page layout, cluttered panels, inconsistent character design etc. that artists can't spot easily and obfuscate the meaning of the story. So to reiterate, no, art is not easier than writing.

While we can't definitively say whether he became well-loved by readers or started getting heavy promotion from Marvel first without evidence, what we can say is that at some point Marvel WAS promoting him, and that promotion further drew attention to him, creating a cycle of interest and promotion that kept feeding into itself. Marvel hasn't even made a token effort to give such a cycle a try with ANXF. They provided only enough promotion for fans of the characters to know the book would use them and left it at that.
    I don't think Marvel gives any less promotion to ANXF than they do their other "off-shoot" titles like X-Force, Secret Avengers, etc. Also I think you're overestimating the influence of ads and articles in getting new readership. Companies know that word of mouth marketing is actually a lot more valuable than straight up advertising. Personally, it doesn't matter how many times I see Spiderman store displays or how often Marvel preaches the awesomeness of Spiderman, I still won't read Spiderman. Now if I read a phenomenal review of a Spiderman book, I might give it a try...Actually I probably wouldn't. A friend would have to shove the book in my head and threaten me to read it or else, that's how disinterested I am in the character.
    The point is, the last X-Factor found its niche without the help of ads and what have you, surely this new iteration can do the same.

I figured it'd be obvious that promoting a storyline with family members interacting would need to include details on what the storyline will entail, so I didn't explicitly say anything about that. On the matter of the examples you provided, 1) none of them are two women, sisters to be exact, spending time together; other examples of those relationship types (though not their character-specific dynamics) exist, and 2) on the hardcore reader level, we've seen those interactions in the 616 before
    We already know the details in the Wanda and Lorna meeting: it's a girl's night out, which can only mean it's fun issue with no world-shattering repercussions for the Marvel U, ergo not something a casual fan would be particularly interested in. And just because they're sisters doesn't make it intrinsically more interesting than relationship between other family members. Granted it's unusual in the comic-verse, but I don't see how anybody (who aren't already interested in the characters) getting all excited about two women who share a father having a girl's night out.

Fair enough on explicitly marketing the issue over their being sisters based on Frozen's example, but that doesn't mean the issue wouldn't deserve special promotion thanks to the potential behind implicit marketing of that fact. One reference is still one reference more than no reference, and that's usually enough to get that detail out there in the mix as consideration with the rest of the story. Perhaps advertising the fact they're sisters as the main focus isn't needed to the level I was suggesting, but it's still a big reason for Marvel to give ANXF #14 special promotion.
    First of all, Frozen is a Disney movie aimed at children, so I seriously doubt parents take into consideration whether or not there are siblings / families in the movie before deciding to take their kids to the theater. It's more of a matter "Hey a new Disney animated movie is out. That'll entertain the kids for two hours". The people that do care about inclusion of sisters because it's symbolic of some feminist issue, they're not the target audience.
    Secondly, the articles that came after the film was released, that's not a promotion on the part of Disney. That's word of mouth from people.
    Third, a movie about brothers can be just as compelling and successful even if you can't attach a social movement to it.

Astonishing Member

hey, now girls were part of the target audience. i think it's more a case of look you can include 'girl' stuff without alienating the little boys who hate princesses.

Ultimate Member

Yeah, like making one of them a badass mutant with Ice powers and the other totally adorkable.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by anyajenkins View Post
    hey, now girls were part of the target audience. i think it's more a case of look you can include 'girl' stuff without alienating the little boys who hate princesses.
    Little girls are the target audience. I just seriously doubt the people who write articles about movies are little girls.

nvm. Carry on, nothing to see here.
    Last edited by Neko; 08-23-2014 at 10:15 AM.
    "My superpower? I'm irresistible to women." Gambit- ANXF #9
    Gambit's kittens: Oliver, Lucifer and Figaro: Oliver and Company.