Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Who was the first Marvel hero to meet an alt reality version of themselves

Ran across a random fact last night, That DC’s Flash was the first Comic Book Character to (among other things) meet his alternate reality self.

Who was the first Marvel character to do so?

To narrow it down I’m speaking strictly from the start of the Marvel Age on up, so, 1961 (FF #1) is the start point.
    I figure it couldn’t have taken too long, right?

EDIT
    I wrote hero in the thread title, but if it turns out a villain or supporting character did it first that’s fine too, I’m just curious as to the answer!
    Last edited by Riv86672; 08-11-2020 at 04:04 AM.

Probably Rama-Tut/Scarlet Centurion/Immortus/Kang the Conqueror. Don't know for sure, though.

Incredible Member

no clue , but probably fantastic four. mr fantastic even has one of his doppleganger , the brute replace him for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Panic View Post
    Probably Rama-Tut/Scarlet Centurion/Immortus/Kang the Conqueror. Don't know for sure, though.

Not sure that counts because that was done retroactively.

Might be when Original Cap met the 50's Cap.

I’d rather not go retro in this case...

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeweasel View Post
    Might be when Original Cap met the 50's Cap.
    Yeah, but they’re from the same reality yeah?

I think the answer might be Kitty Pryde and the X-Men in Days of Future Past. Future Kitty was sent into her younger self's body. Remember, in the silver age, Marvel had one singular universe, but DC had Earth-One and Earth-Two... which is why it only took a few years before Barry met Jay (it would've been considerably longer before anyone met a doppelganger - Barry certainly didn't meet a doppelganger of himself that early). Did Marvel even do multiverse stuff before the 1980s, except for What If which I'm pretty sure never involved anyone meeting a counterpart of themselves?
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

BANNED

This might be something for Brian Cronin to get on the case, or Kurt Busiek.

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    I think the answer might be Kitty Pryde and the X-Men in Days of Future Past. Future Kitty was sent into her younger self's body. Remember, in the silver age, Marvel had one singular universe, but DC had Earth-One and Earth-Two... which is why it only took a few years before Barry met Jay (it would've been considerably longer before anyone met a doppelganger - Barry certainly didn't meet a doppelganger of himself that early). Did Marvel even do multiverse stuff before the 1980s, except for What If which I'm pretty sure never involved anyone meeting a counterpart of themselves?
    Kitty’s an interesting one.

And yeah, all the reasoning you cited is why I asked. I figured it’d be an interesting one to try and figure out.

ANy long time Doc Strange fans? sounds like something that could have happened to him. Other than Kang first one I can think of is Kitty as mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    was the idea of Barry and Jay meeting the whole springboard for earth 2? I thought Jay was in mothballs prior to that story.

It might have been most of the FF members: Reed, Ben and/or Johnny, from the 1970's. I know there are stories where the FF---Ben fo example, meets his other reality version of himself (more lumpy?) and at least one other where Johnny meets himself---this time as Guuard, an alternate reality Johnny who is a cosmic hockey player! Later, Reed meets his alt universe doppleganger in the form of RR of Counter-Earth (but not alt reality) the Brute.

In 1981, we had the X-men Days of Future Past where 2013 Earth-811 character Kate Pryde was exchanged for present day 1981 Earth-616 Kitty Pryde. In that story, we, the fans, met E-616 grown Franklin Richards, Storm, Colossus and elderly wheel-chair bound Magneto. Rachel Summers was introduced, but there is no alt reality Rachel (at least not at that time).
    Last edited by Phoenixx9; 08-11-2020 at 08:04 AM.

1968, in Avengers Annual #2. The Avengers of that time battled their alternate selves at the behest of the Scarlet Centurion.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by DigiCom View Post
    1968, in Avengers Annual #2. The Avengers of that time battled their alternate selves at the behest of the Scarlet Centurion.
    Yes, and I think this was the first Marvel comic (probably not the first comic) to use the story of Alternate Reality versions of the heroes who become authoritarian fascists.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Slightly off topic, but my favorite still has to be Adam Warlock and Magus...even though technically the Magus is who Adam evolves into in the future.