Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question What could lead DC publishing out of its current situation? WHO should do it?

In light of recent events...

https://community.cbr.com/showthread...-Layoffs-at-DC

...and with the majority of the current editorial staff being laid off, what would not only pull DC from and lead it out of this current situation, but elevate it to permanently being the top publisher in the industry, and having AT&T not view the publishing arm as something that should be gutted, but as something that should receive tons of investment because they see massive return in it?

What exactly would turn DC publishing into a massive money-maker for both WarnerMedia and AT&T, as well as greatly expand its market in terms of the amount of readers, the amount of books sold, in the amount of markets and regions reached globally, and the diversity and range of ethnicities/genders/backgrounds/etc of the readership?

And who exactly would be the one(s) to accomplish this, and what exactly would make them equipped to do so?

in the present economy no division is not worth cutting.

I am more interested in ideas than people. hopefully whoever takes charge keeps people around to challenge him/her and they take ideas from their staff.

First ignore marvel. Just make the best movies you can dont worry about grand interlocked stories.
    Keep building on the TV properties either with CW or HBOMAX.
    Look back in your vault. Many characters there you might consider using in print or otherwise.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by The S0/\/\@7ic Si/\/\[]Dl370n View Post
    In light of recent events...

https://community.cbr.com/showthread...-Layoffs-at-DC

...and with the majority of the current editorial staff being laid off, what would not only pull DC from and lead it out of this current situation, but elevate it to permanently being the top publisher in the industry, and having AT&T not view the publishing arm as something that should be gutted, but as something that should receive tons of investment because they see massive return in it?

What exactly would turn DC publishing into a massive money-maker for both WarnerMedia and AT&T, as well as greatly expand its market in terms of the amount of readers, the amount of books sold, in the amount of markets and regions reached globally, and the diversity and range of ethnicities/genders/backgrounds/etc of the readership?

And who exactly would be the one(s) to accomplish this, and what exactly would make them equipped to do so?
    Easier access to comic books should be a priority. Walmart is a good step, as is Target, now lets get comics back into grocery stores, gas stations, drug stores, etc. Drop the prices (3.99-4.99 is waaay too much) and get someone like Mark Waid as EIC; his time in running a comic book shop and working in the upper echelons of the comic world makes him an interesting choice.

Quote Originally Posted by pageturner View Post
    in the present economy no division is not worth cutting.

I am more interested in ideas than people. hopefully whoever takes charge keeps people around to challenge him/her and they take ideas from their staff.

First ignore marvel. Just make the best movies you can dont worry about grand interlocked stories.
    Keep building on the TV properties either with CW or HBOMAX.
    Look back in your vault. Many characters there you might consider using in print or otherwise.
    Well, the reason I'm asking about publishing specifically is because, outside of streaming, it seems the movie/TV branches will be fine.

Any ideas on how publishing could expand its market?

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Two DC's. One for kids, and the "regular" one. Bring back Karen Berger and give her carte blanche to do whatever she wants. She would be in charge of the regular DC. The kids line would focus more on things like bookstores, school book fairs, and Wal-Marts. These would be lines aimed specifically at kids. Not necessarily ongoings but book series. Things like Gotham Academy, for instance, would sort of be like Harry Potter in the sense that it would be a book series. They might not even be in comic shops. Depending on how things pan out, they could do a sort of Ultimates line with a universe that starts at zero. Sort of like what New 52 should have been. Want a Batman book with Dick Grayson as Robin or a Superman book where Lois doesn't know that Clark is Superman? This would be a line for you.
    Assassinate Putin!

Extraordinary Member

The OP is so full of flawed premises, all I will bother to mention is that whoever DC brings in at the top, just needs to a) not worry about competing with Marvel and b) build the market from the ground up. No more "if we build it, they will come", figure out the market, sell to the market. Success brings more success. Failures rotten the whole line.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by cranger View Post
    The OP is so full of flawed premises, all I will bother to mention is that whoever DC brings in at the top, just needs to a) not worry about competing with Marvel and b) build the market from the ground up. No more "if we build it, they will come", figure out the market, sell to the market. Success brings more success. Failures rotten the whole line.
    Correct.

If Batman works in the direct market-FINE.

Lets take those who can't and figure out what format they can work in.

Does Vixen work as a OGN? Hawkman a 5 part mini? Jaime Reyes digital first and then trade?

But make sure you get your books out there BEYOND the direct market.

Things like Gotham Academy, for instance, would sort of be like Harry Potter in the sense that it would be a book series.
    I miss that book. That is a book line of at least 6 books.

Quote Originally Posted by The S0/\/\@7ic Si/\/\[]Dl370n View Post
    What exactly would turn DC publishing into a massive money-maker for both WarnerMedia and AT&T,
    A time machine. The value DC and Marvel have to their respective parent companies are mostly as IP farms.

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    Two DC's. One for kids, and the "regular" one. Bring back Karen Berger and give her carte blanche to do whatever she wants. She would be in charge of the regular DC. The kids line would focus more on things like bookstores, school book fairs, and Wal-Marts. These would be lines aimed specifically at kids. Not necessarily ongoings but book series. Things like Gotham Academy, for instance, would sort of be like Harry Potter in the sense that it would be a book series. They might not even be in comic shops. Depending on how things pan out, they could do a sort of Ultimates line with a universe that starts at zero. Sort of like what New 52 should have been. Want a Batman book with Dick Grayson as Robin or a Superman book where Lois doesn't know that Clark is Superman? This would be a line for you.
    Super Sons (prior to Bendis) was a good series for kids. Light-hearted, but with something at stake. I would just add someone from the Wonder Family, maybe Lyta Trevor, and possibly have "Super Kids" be its own continuity.

Astonishing Member kingaliencracker's Avatar

Well, for better or for worse it looks like it's going to be Jim Lee...

https://www.comicbookmovie.com/justi...7450#gs.d756h8

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    I would go a step further... 3 DC's: One for kids, one for adults and the "regular" one.
    Some people may not want kiddie stuff in their comics, but some also may not want mature stuff in their comics, either.
    The kids line could be sold primarily at bookstores, the adult stuff at comic shops (with trades sold at bookstores) and the mainline stuff could bridge the gap and be sold at both.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Do what nobody seems to realize is necessary for digital to take over - drop the damn prices. With the back catalogue that DC has, with cut prices they could do wonders. Sadly they don't seem that interested in that.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    Super Sons (prior to Bendis) was a good series for kids. Light-hearted, but with something at stake. I would just add someone from the Wonder Family, maybe Lyta Trevor, and possibly have "Super Kids" be its own continuity.
    What exactly was at stake in those books ? Everything was played off as a joke in Supersons, nothing seemed to matter or impact the characters. Which is great for a Kid book I guess, but then don't use Damian, ffs !
    Last edited by Korath; 08-12-2020 at 03:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by cranger View Post
    In what way?

I'm not saying the market (or potential market) is going to be receptive to whatever DC publishes.

In fact, "how do they find that market?" is exactly what I'm asking.

Boisterously Confused

As much as I dislike Injustice (in both concept and story-execution), the model has merit.

Design a self-contained DC continuity interchangeable with online games. Keep the publishing digital to keep cost down. The contemporary analog to the growth-source populations that supported comics have migrated to gaming. Leverage that.

I know the OP asked specifically about publishing, but very few entertainment sources can afford to be single-media channel these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    Do what nobody seems to realize is necessary for digital to take over - drop the damn prices. With the back catalogue that DC has, with cut prices they could do wonders. Sadly they don't seem that interested in that.
    Yeah, if they offered their back catalogue in particular for eg 25 cents a copy, digital-only, it would grab a lot of people I think. People who are bent on owning physical copies would still pay for those regardless.