Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Correct.

If Batman works in the direct market-FINE.

Lets take those who can't and figure out what format they can work in.

Does Vixen work as a OGN? Hawkman a 5 part mini? Jaime Reyes digital first and then trade?

But make sure you get your books out there BEYOND the direct market.

I miss that book. That is a book line of at least 6 books.
    Okay, then I'll start with Gotham Academy. Make it a manga, as in black and white. That's their target audience anyway, so make it cheaper with many pages instead of fewer pages but with gorgeous art. Yes, there are people who can afford that but if they really want kids and teens to buy them it should be more pages for pocket money.

No, better, since we're in COVID mode, turn it all digital. People are reading on their smartphones. Also, don't sell it more than 99 cents apiece, because, in the general audience's mind, digital comics don't worth as much as prints. This way you can even keep the art full color with fewer pages.

Also, they need to take a look at the Webtoon format from Korea. Those are really popular.

You ask the impossible. DC couldn't do that in the best of times, never mind now. AT&T isn't ever going to be interested in publishing. Just pray that they don't axe it entirely, or license it out.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by The S0/\/\@7ic Si/\/\[]Dl370n View Post
    In what way?

I'm not saying the market (or potential market) is going to be receptive to whatever DC publishes.

In fact, "how do they find that market?" is exactly what I'm asking.
    The question is fair but it is framed with some inaccurate (there are no reports that a majority of editorial staff have been fired, yet) or presumptuous (AT&T's view on the publishing division) claims, that is all. Nothing about the current situation, whether your take on the situation is legit or not, really has anything to do with how DC can thrive. The same question could have been asked of the situation at pretty much any time going back at least the last 20 years. Of course the current predicament leads to looking at it differently, there is seemingly a shift, if not an opening, of the leadership position; and at the least DC is not immune from the financial dealings of their overlords.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by The S0/\/\@7ic Si/\/\[]Dl370n View Post

In fact, "how do they find that market?" is exactly what I'm asking.
    The market has always been there. A lot of the time it comes down to WHO you use to try to get into it.
    Sometimes Batman or Superman are not the solution. Sometimes you have to look at others.

Take Gotham Academy. NOTHING says you can't start with them. Along the way you introduce a rival school...... that looks a lot like the Young Justice kids. A few crossover and then you spin them off.
    Now you got two series. Repeat the process with Supersons. Dc Super Hero Girls (MAYBE-not sure how they would fit). Mystic University. Gotham High with the We Are Robin and Duke group. Do one with the Titans in college.
    None of them had to give up what made them popular in the first place.