Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Adekis View Post
    To quote Wonder Woman, "It's not about deserve." I fully believe that.

I don't think Superman acts based on whether people "deserve" to be saved either. He's saved Luthor enough times, for example.

Would he oppose humans if they tried to do something wrong, cruel, evil, to others?
    Look, is that even a question? He saves humans from humans like, every damn day. Why wouldn't that extend to an inhuman civilization as well?

Also, if a large scale human organization, like say, an interplanetary military, attacked a defenseless planet, that's a reason to closely examine and possibly to dismantle the systemic sources of the injustice - but not to condemn all of humanity. And that same courtesy should be expanded to both other civilizations - and smaller ones here on Earth. Including, and probably even especially, the US.
    When the US committed Genocide he did nothing except take a walk.

BANNED

You said it yourself, it's not humanity who can turn their back on Superman - it's just governments, militaries, and various organizations. Let's look at it this way, Qurac, as a government, hates Superman, because he once decimated the military they use to threaten and attack others. If they could boot him off the planet, would they? Probably. Does that make a difference regarding how he deals with individual Quaracis in trouble? No.

Why should it be any different if it was the US military?

Now on the other hand, you do make a good point about Superman maybe making his home base on another planet for a change. After all, it's not like Earth isn't in good hands with its abundance of super-heroes. So I could see him doing that, but not out of bitterness or spite.

And obviously, the biggest obstacle to this idea is that Clark Kent lives on Earth, but, well, it wouldn't be the first time that Superman disappeared for months or years and nobody seemed to worry too badly about Clark, so... I'll let it slide.
    The difference is that the US is supposed to be a free country, that the government is chosen by the people, therefore the mistakes of the government are the mistakes of the people. Suicide Squad is not a precisely secret group, Lex and all his crimes either, but the people do not care, if they can get something they support them, even if it means stepping on the one who has always been there, Superman has to have hope but that hope does not It can come out of nowhere, if the government or the people fail him, Superman has to stop and think, he cannot continue as if nothing else, I am not saying that he leaves the earth to his fate, but that if there is the possibility that he thinks that the Earth has many heroes and maybe I can help elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Lokimaru View Post
    There's a name for that too - bad writing.

Quote Originally Posted by NaVi View Post
    The difference is that the US is supposed to be a free country, that the government is chosen by the people, therefore the mistakes of the government are the mistakes of the people.
    That is a ridiculously indefensible position. The average citizen is not responsible for any, for example, war crimes, that the military might commit in the peoples' name.
    Last edited by Adekis; 08-14-2020 at 05:42 PM.
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by The World View Post
    I don't like the idea that Superman is loyal to the Earth. He should be loyal to the concept of the common good and if the Earth was ever the aggressor against some other world I think he'd stand against it. The idea that he's going to back the Earth no matter what paints the picture of a guy with no thinking brain in his head. Just adds to the image of him being empty headed that he's developed in modern times.
    Superman should be loyal to Earth!! Why wouldn't he be!! He grew up on Earth!! I don't remember how long go it was, Superman took his family on vacation to Washington DC!! I remember some had a problem with that!! Because his son was learning American history!! Why wouldn't Superman want his son to learn American history. He's being brought up in this country, his father and his mother grew up in this country!!
    Last edited by lotchj; 08-14-2020 at 06:12 PM.

BANNED

That is a ridiculously indefensible position. The average citizen is not responsible for any, for example, war crimes, that the military might commit in the peoples' name.
    If tomorrow Donald Trump loses his head and presses the red button, it is Trump's fault, but also the one who gave him the power to be there. the people choose for better or for worse.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    Once you start down this path, it never ends. Whatever stance he takes on any issue, whatever he does, half the readers will like it and half will accuse the writers of projecting their opinions onto Superman and Superman would never have such an opinion that disagrees with the readers.
    I prefer a controversial Superman and stories to bland one that says nothing. Goldenage gives a clear view what his leanings are. You can then expand and take those cues to more contentious/relevant issues.

It reminds me an old Wonder Woman story, when the heroin learned about the Manhattan Project.

I don’t remember how it ended but she was quite upset. But then Wonder Woman grew up on a peaceful island.
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

Quote Originally Posted by OpaqueGiraffe17 View Post
    If General Zod or Jax Ur are any indication and how they abused their environment at least as bad as us, Kryptonians don’t have much of a high horse to stand on. I mean we Americans have a truely shameful prison system, but we don’t banish our criminals to barren dimension for all eternity. Not saying Kal and Kara aren’t awesome people or are in any way responsible for their people’s mistakes, but yeah.
    We've also managed to avoid blowing up our own planet.

The U.S. defended themselves from a hostile alien invasion.

Yeah, if we take NaVi seriously, then Superman should be held accountable for every crime the Kryptonian government ever committed.

If tomorrow Donald Trump loses his head and presses the red button, it is Trump's fault, but also the one who gave him the power to be there. the people choose for better or for worse.
    Except not everyone chose to have Trump in office.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Yeah, if we take NaVi seriously, then Superman should be held accountable for every crime the Kryptonian government ever committed.

Except not everyone chose to have Trump in office.
    If krypton commits crimes and superman supports them, he must give explanations, just like the US government (comic) commits crimes every weekend and his people support them, they must give explanations, there is a reason why a child cannot vote.

If krypton commits crimes and superman supports them, he must give explanations, just like the US government (comic) commits crimes every weekend and his people support them, they must give explanations, there is a reason why a child cannot vote.
    Except the people of the US do not support Trump. His presidency has been marred with protests, law suits, criminal investigations into himself and his associates and a record-breaking low-level approval rating.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Except the people of the US do not support Trump. His presidency has been marred with protests, law suits, criminal investigations into himself and his associates and a record-breaking low-level approval rating.
    It has always been known that the guy was not well at all, even so they voted for him, they made him the most powerful man on the planet, **** them and assume their responsibility

Fantastic Member

It has always been known that the guy was not well at all, even so they voted for him, they made him the most powerful man on the planet, **** them and assume their responsibility
    I voted for Trump!! I still support him and will vote for him again in Nov. 2020!!

Quote Originally Posted by lotchj View Post
    I voted for Trump!! I still support him and will vote for him again in Nov. 2020!!
    That somehow remindsmef of the Legends mini-series from the late 1980s where G. Gordon Godfrey destroys himself by slapping that kid. Today, if it was Trump, those same people would be saying, "Hey, he slapped that kid. The kid must have said something to deserve it, probably a mealy-mouthed liberal. Throw him in a cage".

Or, as a friend of mine put it, "Give up. After all the things Trump has said and done- his abysmal "All a hoax" response that caused numerous deaths, his injection with cleaning solution suggestion, his mocking the handicapped, his horrible response to racial injustice, his removal of environmental protections, and on and on and on, a legacy of disaster that's going to take years to fix if some of it even can be fixed- if someone is still going to vote for him, they are too far gone for anything we can say to make any difference".
    Power with Girl is better.