Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

It is amazing that DC doesn't release a Robin series anymore. They had one for years and years with Tim that paved the way for series like Batgirl and Nightwing to happen, and it was even the bigger book compared to Nightwing for a while too. I guess they just never wanted to give Damian a solo Robin book after he took over and always just put him in a Batman and Robin, Super Sons, or Teen Titans book instead. You feel like with DC trying to market towards younger readers again that a Robin book would be a no-brainer, but no one even thinks of it anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Badou View Post
    It is amazing that DC doesn't release a Robin series anymore. They had one for years and years with Tim that paved the way for series like Batgirl and Nightwing to happen, and it was even the bigger book compared to Nightwing for a while too. I guess they just never wanted to give Damian a solo Robin book after he took over and always just put him in a Batman and Robin, Super Sons, or Teen Titans book instead. You feel like with DC trying to market towards younger readers again that a Robin book would be a no-brainer, but no one even thinks of it anymore.
    Technically he did have one in 2015, Robin Son of Batman, thougth it didn't last sadly, it was one of my favorite books at the time. Pity that Gleason didn't finish it.
    "Wow. You made Spider-Man sad, congratulations. I stabbed The Hulk last week"
    Wolverine, Venom Annual # 1 (2018)
    Nobody does it better by Jeff Loveness

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    Technically he did have one in 2015, Robin Son of Batman, thougth it didn't last sadly, it was one of my favorite books at the time. Pity that Gleason didn't finish it.
    Oh yeah, that was the series he got after coming back from the dead I think? Still, I don't get why not just a Robin titled series like there is a Batgirl and Nightwing one. You figure the Robin brand would be strong enough for it.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Badou View Post
    I'm guessing because Morrison planned for him to die and that's what he told DC, they don't bother giving him a title.
    Then he did die, but WB wants him back. They're making Son of Batman movie so they gave him a solo mini.
    Then they're making Damian Teen Titans movie so they gave him Teen Titans series.
    DC is hyped for The Real Superman is Back to attract classic fans back so Super Sons were made.

So I don't know whose idea was it but the moment they pitch Jon growing up AND Damian having a feud with Batman, canceling Super Sons with it, they see no point on continuing making an effort for Damian.

There was that Super Sons OGN but nobody likes those because they pick people who know nothing about them... I don't know if they ever continue it.

So I take it since then no one pitched DC for an out of continuity Robin series either, coz from what I've seen DC won't move and approve if no one's giving them ideas.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Creatively, I have no idea what direction they'll take; I haven't been reading any Bat books for a while (I'll grab Tynion's trades), and who knows what direction the new bosses will want to take, though with Lee being the CCO things might not change much, as far as this goes.

As far as floppies go, I expect Batman and 'Tec to remain. I mean, obviously those books aren't going anywhere. 'Tec will likely keep its numbering, Batman might get a new #1.

Harley is almost certainly getting a relaunch of her solo.

Past that, I'm not sure. It'll depend on how many books DC cuts and how big their publishing line is afterwards. I wouldn't be surprised if Nightwing and Batgirl's solos survive, but it wouldn't surprise me if those characters end up in a team book or as supporting characters in a Batman book either. They'll be around somewhere, just not necessarily in their own books.

Damian will stick around, either with Bruce or a teen team title (probably, but not necessarily, Titans).

Jason, Kate, Cass, Tim and all the rest? I'd be surprised to see any solo books for any of them, which means they'll be supporting characters for Bruce or they'll be in teams, or limbo.

Beyond the LCS, in bookstore OGN's and digital, I think almost anything is fair game. DC will want to experiment and try new things, hoping to expand their audience in those markets (if reports I've read are true). Characters like Raven and Cass have proven that OGN's can do well without one of the Big Name Characters, so I think it'll all depend on who has a good pitch. Maybe we get a Red Hood digital series, maybe we get a Flamebird OGN. The hierarchy and history of DC means basically nothing outside the hobby shop so anyone could get a OGN or digital series if a creator can sell it.
    Sounds good. I hope your right.

My best understanding is that the new TPTB don't care about comic books...they care about IPs.

That's good for characters you named...but my hopes that Bette Kane might finally be taken seriously is dashed. It's about possible as the Silken Spider becoming a major bat-villainess. (No, I didn't make her up.)

I guess that's the loss I'm really morning. I not upset at losing DC comics as is. (I was only reading 2 titles. Young Justice was one.)

I feel I have lost all hope for what might have been. (yeah, it was a slim hope...but it's gone)

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    I'm guessing because Morrison planned for him to die and that's what he told DC, they don't bother giving him a title.
    Then he did die, but WB wants him back. They're making Son of Batman movie so they gave him a solo mini.
    Then they're making Damian Teen Titans movie so they gave him Teen Titans series.
    DC is hyped for The Real Superman is Back to attract classic fans back so Super Sons were made.

So I don't know whose idea was it but the moment they pitch Jon growing up AND Damian having a feud with Batman, canceling Super Sons with it, they see no point on continuing making an effort for Damian.

There was that Super Sons OGN but nobody likes those because they pick people who know nothing about them... I don't know if they ever continue it.

So I take it since then no one pitched DC for an out of continuity Robin series either, coz from what I've seen DC won't move and approve if no one's giving them ideas.
    In general, OGNs don't take continuity into account, especially considering direct market isn't the main audience. These are independent stories and the characters could be pretty different, so the author don't really need to read past stories.

People was especially angry about Super Sons, because it was one of the first cases. I don't think they will be so angry anymore about this.

If I'm not mistaken, the third volume will be released in October 2020. So, it should be enough popular.

My poor steph I don't want her to go to limbo. Her only hope is that the batgirl or nightwing titles stay around. She could be one of the batgirls in batgirl or as spoiler be the robin to nightwing's batman.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Since Tynion's Batman is the only going consistenly selling well, I hope they just let him keep running the book. I'd rather not see a new writer so soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Creatively, I have no idea what direction they'll take; I haven't been reading any Bat books for a while (I'll grab Tynion's trades), and who knows what direction the new bosses will want to take, though with Lee being the CCO things might not change much, as far as this goes.

As far as floppies go, I expect Batman and 'Tec to remain. I mean, obviously those books aren't going anywhere. 'Tec will likely keep its numbering, Batman might get a new #1.

Harley is almost certainly getting a relaunch of her solo.

Past that, I'm not sure. It'll depend on how many books DC cuts and how big their publishing line is afterwards. I wouldn't be surprised if Nightwing and Batgirl's solos survive, but it wouldn't surprise me if those characters end up in a team book or as supporting characters in a Batman book either. They'll be around somewhere, just not necessarily in their own books.

Damian will stick around, either with Bruce or a teen team title (probably, but not necessarily, Titans).

Jason, Kate, Cass, Tim and all the rest? I'd be surprised to see any solo books for any of them, which means they'll be supporting characters for Bruce or they'll be in teams, or limbo.

Beyond the LCS, in bookstore OGN's and digital, I think almost anything is fair game. DC will want to experiment and try new things, hoping to expand their audience in those markets (if reports I've read are true). Characters like Raven and Cass have proven that OGN's can do well without one of the Big Name Characters, so I think it'll all depend on who has a good pitch. Maybe we get a Red Hood digital series, maybe we get a Flamebird OGN. The hierarchy and history of DC means basically nothing outside the hobby shop so anyone could get a OGN or digital series if a creator can sell it.
    Why would Jason be in limbo when he has a live action appearance (where he was very well received), game appearances and a movie coming soon?

Same with Kate and Tim. Even without a book, Kate still show up from time to time and unlike Dick and Barbara, she actually had her own tv show (even if it was a bit of disaster). I also doubt Tim will be limbo since he is a former Robin and I think Cass has more likely chance to have book now than before.
    “Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain but it takes character and self-control to be understanding and forgiving.”
    – Dale Carnegie

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rise View Post
    Why would Jason be in limbo when he has a live action appearance (where he was very well received), game appearances and a movie coming soon?

Same with Kate and Tim. Even without a book, Kate still show up from time to time and unlike Dick and Barbara, she actually had her own tv show (even if it was a bit of disaster). I also doubt Tim will be limbo since he is a former Robin and I think Cass has more likely chance to have book now than before.
    Kate doesn't have a TV show anymore. There is a Batwoman TV show, but Kate isn't Batwoman there anymore.

In the case of Tim, I really think it depends if he is Robin or not. I don't think DC has a lot of for Tim if he isn't Robin. I even doubt they will use him for OGNs, since they can use Dick.

I think Cass has more opportunities in OGNs. The number of comics are reduced in monthly floppies (and only big name will probably mantain a solo), so I really doubt Cass will have a book there. It is even possible she could dissapear in main continuity again.
    Last edited by Konja7; 08-13-2020 at 05:36 AM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Konja7 View Post
    Kate doesn't have a TV show anymore. There is a Batwoman TV show, but Kate isn't Batwoman there anymore.

In the case of Tim, I really think it depends if he is Robin or not. I don't think DC has a lot of for Tim if he isn't Robin. I even doubt they will use him for OGNs, since they can use Dick.

I think Cass has more opportunities in OGNs. The number of comics are reduced in monthly floppies (and only big name will probably mantain a solo), so I really doubt Cass will have a book there. It is even possible she could dissapear in main continuity again.
    I don't think DC will have much use for Tim as Robin.

I think DC will want Grayson or Damian for Robin.

I fear we need to stop think 'comic books' and start thinking 'coloring books'...because TPTB care about IPs and not stories.

Quote Originally Posted by Konja7 View Post

I know that she was replaced because of her actress, but I still think she is safe because she had her own solo show once which more than the majority of bat characters got. She still has a chance to have her own OGN.

Tim might not have much of a chance, but I completely doubt he would disappear or left in limbo. Who says that DC won't do a digital or Wal-Mart robins book? Even if they didn't, he can still show up in Batman or Detective as a supporting character.
    “Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain but it takes character and self-control to be understanding and forgiving.”
    – Dale Carnegie

Astonishing Member

They can just use Detective Comics to tell Batfamily stories there. Even if Nightwing and Batgirl will be canceled. Tynion has already proven that this series is perfect for a comic about them, and not just about Batman.
    And also Batfamily at least will appear in future media. Gotham Knights is basically game about Batfamily, Titans have Dick and Jason, and will have Tim and Barbara, if rumors are true. Maybe Damian also will appear in future seasons. They all are part of Young Justice. And there were news about Batgirl movie. So, I doubt there's a chance they completely disappear in limbo.
    Last edited by Morgoth; 08-13-2020 at 06:05 AM.

Astonishing Member Charlie_1981's Avatar

Just wondering if with all of recent DC mess, we are going to have Batman: Three Jokers miniseries that was suppposed to be released this month.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    Just judging by the sales in the last months
    Batman and Detective stay
    Batgirl and Harley are maybe
    Nightwing, Red Hood, Birds of Prey, Batwoman and Outsiders are out

Just judging by potential media synergy
    Batman, Detective and Harley stays
    Batgirl gets a new direction for young girls
    Nightwing and Red Hood are going to Titans
    Batwoman's getting a relaunch with the new main character
    Cass Cain will join in Harley and Birds of Prey
    Tim and Steph remain in Young Justice
    I would not be surprised if this is exactly right. We'll have to revisit in a year or whatever, and it's funny because you're just being entirely logical, but seeing it all laid out like that is like -- wow yeah, its gonna be a bit of a change, but maybe a good one.

Like, I think having Nightwing & Red Hood both as Titans makes a ton of sense, I am sort of like -- why aren't they already the backbone of the team, as a yin/yang ex-Robin dynamic? Heck, it's already set up in the DCU show that will eventually come to HBO Max, theoretically... both are highly visible IP through the animated films and games, not to mention the comics and cartoon series.

I suspect Tim Drake will return to being Robin as more of a "Disney Spider-Man" type of character, whereas Damian could retire from the Robin role by choice and remain in the mix as a supporting character, but just as "Damian" because he doesn't need a codename if he's just a ninja dude. My preference is for Damian and Robin to both be Robin simultaneously, and indeed, expand "Robin" to be the ongoing function of what "Batman Inc" was, and what "We Are Robin" continued, which is the idea also notably central to "Batman Begins" that the idea of Batman is to inspire people.
    Last edited by gregpersons; 08-13-2020 at 07:46 AM.