Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Incredible Member

Default DC Speculation -- how will layoffs affect the Bat books?

We're all in the dark on what the future holds, but it seems like the Bat-books (and maybe DC's line as a whole) desperately needed a change up in talent and some clear new directions... in my opinion anyway. It's not that DC doesn't have good talent - they have some of the best talent - but they have a lot of AAA talent, and then a lot of journeymen dudes who can get the job done - put the words and pictures where they're supposed to go until the book eventually gets canceled or handed off. Aside from some notable big names, DC has mostly been shedding promising talent rather than nurturing it, since the Denny O'Neil years at least. Again this is IMO. Now for yours!

How do you suppose the Bat books will be changing going forward? Are there any rising star editor/writer/artists who you'd like to see on the books, or what kind of direction you're hoping comes about?

Quote Originally Posted by gregpersons View Post
    We're all in the dark on what the future holds, but it seems like the Bat-books (and maybe DC's line as a whole) desperately needed a change up in talent and some clear new directions... in my opinion anyway. It's not that DC doesn't have good talent - they have some of the best talent - but they have a lot of AAA talent, and then a lot of journeymen dudes who can get the job done - put the words and pictures where they're supposed to go until the book eventually gets canceled or handed off. Aside from some notable big names, DC has mostly been shedding promising talent rather than nurturing it, since the Denny O'Neil years at least. Again this is IMO. Now for yours!

How do you suppose the Bat books will be changing going forward? Are there any rising star editor/writer/artists who you'd like to see on the books, or what kind of direction you're hoping comes about?
    I doubt much if anything will chnage. Batman is the best selling monthly they have. It's been on fire since Tynion took over. Batgirl was already getting the ax, we don't really know about Red Hood at this point though.
    Pulls: Batman, Detective Comics, SiKtC, Catwoman, Nightwing, Titans, Godzilla, Wonder Woman, Batman & Robin, Brave and the Bold, No/One, Kill your Darlings, and Deviant.
    My runs: Batman #230-, and Detective #420-

Astonishing Member

Batman and Detective Comics will continue.

Dick, Barbara, Jason will still be there, but there is a good possibility they won't mantain their solos. Maybe they appear in team books.

I'm not so sure what will happen with Kate. A Batwoman TV series should protect the character, but she won't be the star of that series anymore.

Damian is the son of Batman and he is popular (in and outside comics). Also, it is possible he will mantain Robin. So, I guess he would be fine.

I fear what will happen with Tim, Stephanie and Cassandra.

Incredible Member

I hope that Tom King's Batman/Catwoman book will still happen. He said he's already done 7 issues.

Incredible Member

I'm curious to see how things resolve with the Bat Family ... there's a lot of different threads about this already but it seems like one of the central things to straighten out, the Nightwing book, Tim Drake, Damian's age/role, Alfred's status, if Batwoman will change identities to incorporate the new character on the TV show...

There's a lot of IP mismanagement with "Robin" and "Batgirl" and "Batwoman" and "Nightwing" -- I think that's a fair statement. So if they're looking to streamline, I wouldn't be shocked to see characters being repositioned to some clearer status quo. Batman The Adventure Continues feels like a way to map out a "streamlined / ultimate marvel" version of the story with revised and streamlined Azrael, Deathstroke, Red Hood, etc.
    Last edited by gregpersons; 08-11-2020 at 05:45 PM.

Astonishing Member

I'm curious to see how things resolve with the Bat Family and "Robin" ... there's a lot of different threads about this already but it seems like one of the central things to straighten out, the Nightwing book, Tim Drake, Damian's age/role, Alfred's status, if Batwoman will change identities to incorporate the new character on the TV show...

There's a lot of IP mismanagement with "Robin" and "Batgirl" and "Batwoman" and "Nightwing" -- I think that's a fair statement. So if they're looking to streamline, I wouldn't be shocked to see characters being repositioned to some clearer status quo. Batman The Adventure Continues feels like a way to map out a "streamlined / ultimate marvel" version of the story with revised and streamlined Azrael, Deathstroke, Red Hood, etc.
    all good points.

and yeah, DC may be headed in a more kid-friendly approach.

It may not be a new era of Superfriends...but no more mature audiences only, i think.

I'm curious to see how things resolve with the Bat Family ... there's a lot of different threads about this already but it seems like one of the central things to straighten out, if Batwoman will change identities to incorporate the new character on the TV show...
    Considering the backlash before the CW's OC has even hit the screen, that wouldn't go down well at all, if they did the same with the comics.