Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast
    Mighty Member

Red Hood fans care too much when Jason was only relevant to the DCU when he was a villain. Nightwing fans have been crying for their series to be thrown to limbo for years even when things are looking up for him. The optimist Red Hood fans v the pessimist Nightwing fans. Life is suffering.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by yohyoi View Post
    Red Hood fans care too much when Jason was only relevant to the DCU when he was a villain. Nightwing fans have been crying for their series to be thrown to limbo for years even when things are looking up for him. The optimist Red Hood fans v the pessimist Nightwing fans. Life is suffering.
    Can you blame us for not wanting to read a Nightwing title where the main character isn't even Nightwing?

Now that Ric's end is in sight, I haven't seen a single Dick fan ask for limbo, only for a new creative team/relaunch.

Red Hood might have been a mess of a title after Rebirth but at least Jason was still Jason.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Wingin' It View Post
    Can you blame us for not wanting to read a Nightwing title where the main character isn't even Nightwing?

Now that Ric's end is in sight, I haven't seen a single Dick fan ask for limbo, only for a new creative team/relaunch.

Red Hood might have been a mess of a title after Rebirth but at least Jason was still Jason.
    Some are still asking for limbo. I saw some in Twitter, here and Reddit. There was a lot of hate on Nightwing Rebirth here. People wanted him to revert to Grayson. There is also fans that only like Dixon or Tomasi or Wolfman. The last time I felt there was a consesus was that DickBats was great. A wide but fickle fanbase.

I also remember when there was debate who the next Batman will be when Bruce "died" and some Nightwing fans were totally against the idea. It never ends.
    Last edited by yohyoi; 08-14-2020 at 11:53 PM.

The larger the fanbase the more varied opinions will be. The fact that Nightwing fans have such different opinions only speaks to the strength, longevity, and flexibility of the character.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

I like all the robins too, and am a Jason fan.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaresh View Post
    I like all the robins too, and am a Jason fan.
    I like almost all the Robins (just can't warm up to the Son of Batman concept, or Damian being a brat in general), but Dick Grayson's fans make him a tough one to like at times. We get it, he's better than Bruce in every conceivable way and is the best and most respected in universe DC hero and is the greatest thing since sliced bread all hail our Messiah Nightwing. Okay it's probably not that bad, but it gets annoying. But again, that's the fandom, not the character. I like him, would like him better if not for a certain portion of his fans, but he's never impressed me on this epic level as some great character. I like Tim and Jason more.

From my experience it is usually Jason fans that complain about Dick the most. There is always some weird fixation there that you see across the internet. Not all Jason fans of course, but I guess there are some that feel like Dick doesn't deserve all the attention he gets and Jason deserves it more. I consistently see that.

It usually goes like this from my years of following these fandoms: Dick fans bitch about Bruce, Jason fans bitch about Dick, Tim fans bitch about Damian, and Damian fans bitch about Tim. I feel like that is what you see boil to the top the most.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    I like almost all the Robins (just can't warm up to the Son of Batman concept, or Damian being a brat in general), but Dick Grayson's fans make him a tough one to like at times. We get it, he's better than Bruce in every conceivable way and is the best and most respected in universe DC hero and is the greatest thing since sliced bread all hail our Messiah Nightwing. Okay it's probably not that bad, but it gets annoying. But again, that's the fandom, not the character. I like him, would like him better if not for a certain portion of his fans, but he's never impressed me on this epic level as some great character. I like Tim and Jason more.
    Nightwing fans are hardly the only fanbase that does this with a character they love. The respective fanbases of all the Robins can be like this.

And I think they're somewhat justified considering the utter shitshow the character has been through the last couple years in the comics. Some of it at the hands of Jason's main writer who seems beloved by that fanbase but not by everyone else.

I think how bad a fanbase seems can come down to how you feel about a character. If you're less inclined to like Dick, his fanbase might seem worse. Some of us don't like Jason or Tim and theirs can seem worse. In reality, probably none of them are worse than another.
    Last edited by SiegePerilous02; 08-17-2020 at 05:04 PM.

I really haven't seen any Jason fans frustrated with Dick. I think Jason gets treated pretty well in terms of representation nowadays.
    It's the Dynamic Duo! Batman and Robin!... and Red Robin and Red Hood and Nightwing and Batwoman and Batgirl and Orphan and Spoiler and Bluebird and Lark and Gotham Girl and Talon and Batwing and Huntress and Azreal and Flamebird and Batcow?

Since when could just anybody do what we trained to do? It makes it all dumb instead of special. Like it doesn't matter anymore.
    -Dick Grayson (Batman Inc.)

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Nightwing fans are hardly the only fanbase that does this with a character they love. The respective fanbases of all the Robins can be like this.

And I think they're somewhat justified considering the utter shitshow the character has been through the last couple years in the comics. Some of it at the hands of Jason's main writer who seems beloved by that fanbase but not by everyone else.

I think how bad a fanbase seems can come down to how you feel about a character. If you're less inclined to like Dick, his fanbase might seem worse. Some of us don't like Jason or Tim and theirs can seem worse. In reality, probably none of them are worse than another.
    I don't know, it feels like I've been hearing about how awesome and amazing Dick is for a solid decade at least. In this forum it feels like he's more popular than Bruce himself, and as a Batman fan first and foremost over any of the Robins...it feels a bit much. But maybe it's just me.

But you're right that it feels like it's gotten worse past couple of years. Guess Ric has made that fanbase a bit rabid...

And again, I don't dislike Nightwing. I just don't find him to be that great.

Quote Originally Posted by Pohzee View Post
    I really haven't seen any Jason fans frustrated with Dick. I think Jason gets treated pretty well in terms of representation nowadays.
    Jason has had the same writer for nearly 9 years now. They haven't had a lot to complain about, but like with Dick fans complaining about Bruce the most I think Jason fans tend to complain about Dick the most even if that isn't as much as it was in past years. It's just what you see the most often within the fandoms. You don't tend to see Jason fans complain about Tim or Damian at all really.

I have to somewhat agree with you here. I have had a hard time with certain fans (certain mmeanin a few across all the net) of Dick and also Damian. I probably have grown bitter towards them a tinny bit because of that (which is silly, because the character isn't at fault). But still, I like the characters, especially Dick. They've given me a lot of fun with my reads. Dick a lot more than Damian, that's true; but Damian was a fun read when paired with the right partner. He's just kind of a bit too much when he's in his True Blood Son or Super Ninja Al Ghul or Arrogant Leader mini Batman mode.. and taken seriously when he's like that. Which.. I have a hard time taking seriously. He's a kid, or a teen, with lots of issues, and behaviours that need a role model to help in getting them corrected (or better guided). I like it when the writer aknowledges and works with that. Or, well, when the writer is aware of those not so great depictions and doesn't take them seriously.

But, just my opinion. Well, I think it's not just mine, but, I mean, it's an opinion nevertheless.
    Last edited by Zaresh; 08-17-2020 at 05:34 PM.

I don't know, it feels like I've been hearing about how awesome and amazing Dick is for a solid decade at least. In this forum it feels like he's more popular than Bruce himself, and as a Batman fan first and foremost over any of the Robins...it feels a bit much. But maybe it's just me.

But you're right that it feels like it's gotten worse past couple of years. Guess Ric has made that fanbase a bit rabid...

Yeah but on here, you would think Bruce is the worst character in his own franchise. Dick fans aren't the only ones who complain about him, Jason fans do as well and they have had less to complain about in recent years.

I'm mainly here for Batman as well, I love Bruce and Dick almost equally...in general. Specifically mainstream comics Batman sucks right now, the only recent run that reminded me why i love the character is Morrison's and it's been downhill again ever since. I'd greatly prefer a better Batman, better treatment for Nightwing and a much smaller Bat-Family in general (as in, mostly just them and Barbara).

Astonishing Member

In this forum, Nightwing/Dick is more popular than Batman/Bruce.

Batman is one of my less favorite member of the Bat-family, but I feel the hostility towards Batman is exagerated.

However, Dick fans aren't the only one, Jason fans and Damian fans could be pretty hostile towards Batman too.

Quote Originally Posted by Konja7 View Post
    In this forum, Nightwing/Dick is more popular than Batman/Bruce.

Batman is one of my less favorite member of the Bat-family, but I feel the hostility towards Batman is exagerated.

However, Dick fans aren't the only one, Jason fans and Damian fans could be pretty hostile towards Batman too.
    Indeed. Jason fans are quick to call out Bruce's horrific behavior...though at least some of it was written in Jason's book by Jason's writer presumably to further Jason's arc.

Damian fans get annoyed that his biological son was written out of the book, so complain about Bruce being a neglectful father and Bat/Cat sucks because it might result in a planned biological character, or whatever.