Page 1 of 19 1234511 ... LastLast
    Incredible Member

Default DC Speculation -- how will layoffs affect the Bat books?

We're all in the dark on what the future holds, but it seems like the Bat-books (and maybe DC's line as a whole) desperately needed a change up in talent and some clear new directions... in my opinion anyway. It's not that DC doesn't have good talent - they have some of the best talent - but they have a lot of AAA talent, and then a lot of journeymen dudes who can get the job done - put the words and pictures where they're supposed to go until the book eventually gets canceled or handed off. Aside from some notable big names, DC has mostly been shedding promising talent rather than nurturing it, since the Denny O'Neil years at least. Again this is IMO. Now for yours!

How do you suppose the Bat books will be changing going forward? Are there any rising star editor/writer/artists who you'd like to see on the books, or what kind of direction you're hoping comes about?

Quote Originally Posted by gregpersons View Post
    We're all in the dark on what the future holds, but it seems like the Bat-books (and maybe DC's line as a whole) desperately needed a change up in talent and some clear new directions... in my opinion anyway. It's not that DC doesn't have good talent - they have some of the best talent - but they have a lot of AAA talent, and then a lot of journeymen dudes who can get the job done - put the words and pictures where they're supposed to go until the book eventually gets canceled or handed off. Aside from some notable big names, DC has mostly been shedding promising talent rather than nurturing it, since the Denny O'Neil years at least. Again this is IMO. Now for yours!

How do you suppose the Bat books will be changing going forward? Are there any rising star editor/writer/artists who you'd like to see on the books, or what kind of direction you're hoping comes about?
    I doubt much if anything will chnage. Batman is the best selling monthly they have. It's been on fire since Tynion took over. Batgirl was already getting the ax, we don't really know about Red Hood at this point though.
    Pulls: Batman, Detective Comics, SiKtC, Catwoman, Nightwing, Titans, Godzilla, Wonder Woman, Batman & Robin, Brave and the Bold, No/One, Kill your Darlings, and Deviant.
    My runs: Batman #230-, and Detective #420-

Astonishing Member

Batman and Detective Comics will continue.

Dick, Barbara, Jason will still be there, but there is a good possibility they won't mantain their solos. Maybe they appear in team books.

I'm not so sure what will happen with Kate. A Batwoman TV series should protect the character, but she won't be the star of that series anymore.

Damian is the son of Batman and he is popular (in and outside comics). Also, it is possible he will mantain Robin. So, I guess he would be fine.

I fear what will happen with Tim, Stephanie and Cassandra.

Incredible Member

I hope that Tom King's Batman/Catwoman book will still happen. He said he's already done 7 issues.

Incredible Member

I'm curious to see how things resolve with the Bat Family ... there's a lot of different threads about this already but it seems like one of the central things to straighten out, the Nightwing book, Tim Drake, Damian's age/role, Alfred's status, if Batwoman will change identities to incorporate the new character on the TV show...

There's a lot of IP mismanagement with "Robin" and "Batgirl" and "Batwoman" and "Nightwing" -- I think that's a fair statement. So if they're looking to streamline, I wouldn't be shocked to see characters being repositioned to some clearer status quo. Batman The Adventure Continues feels like a way to map out a "streamlined / ultimate marvel" version of the story with revised and streamlined Azrael, Deathstroke, Red Hood, etc.
    Last edited by gregpersons; 08-11-2020 at 05:45 PM.

Astonishing Member

I'm curious to see how things resolve with the Bat Family and "Robin" ... there's a lot of different threads about this already but it seems like one of the central things to straighten out, the Nightwing book, Tim Drake, Damian's age/role, Alfred's status, if Batwoman will change identities to incorporate the new character on the TV show...

There's a lot of IP mismanagement with "Robin" and "Batgirl" and "Batwoman" and "Nightwing" -- I think that's a fair statement. So if they're looking to streamline, I wouldn't be shocked to see characters being repositioned to some clearer status quo. Batman The Adventure Continues feels like a way to map out a "streamlined / ultimate marvel" version of the story with revised and streamlined Azrael, Deathstroke, Red Hood, etc.
    all good points.

and yeah, DC may be headed in a more kid-friendly approach.

It may not be a new era of Superfriends...but no more mature audiences only, i think.

Incredible Member

I think they're going to split it into clean 3s, would be my prediction.

All Ages -- the Adventures book ;a stable Bat family for the most part

PG-13 / Main media and comics -- Batman, Detective Comics, and the feature films and video games. The next game supposedly features the Bat Family. It would make sense to have the Bat Family here but with more cracks in their psyche and more of their troubled backstories incorporated from the previous canons. Think of it as Rebirth 2: Max.

Black Label -- Things like the Joker film, Frank Miller's DKU, the White Knight series, etc.

They're already doing this for the most part, I just imagine they will make the distinctions clearer and simpler. Instead of the All Ages and Black Label being off-shoots, maybe they're all 3 equally staffed doing different things within their own pocket Gothams.

If I had to make a guess, Nightwing and Red Hood and The Outlaws will probably take a break. I could see Tom Taylor putting The Outlaws in Suicide Squad and use it as a backdoor for a Red Hood and The Outlaw relaunch. Batgirl, I really think they're doing a Babs/Cass/Steph book with all three. Catwoman I could see taking a break after it's overarching story reaches its conclusion. Damian needs to be set aside to cool off for a bit, editorial needs to know what direction to take him in, especially if they're taking the title of Robin away from him and giving it back to Tim. If they were to relaunch Teen Titans, I could see Duke being on the team.

Luke, Kate, and Jean-Paul could all support OGNs.

What I'm really interested in is how it could affect Post-Joker War, in particular Tynion's unannounced Bat-project. If I make an assumption, it's probably about Clown Hunter and The Narrows through the perspective of Leslie Thompkins and Harper Row. I think there's probably a Punchline miniseries on it's way, based on how big DC went in on marketing the character after seeing character reception. I can't imagine Tynion not being the writer on it, though with all of his projects I'd say it's already written.
    I'm currently reading Batman, Detective Comics, DCeased: Dead Planet, Dark Knights: Death Metal, Daredevil, Thor, Nightwing, The Rise of Ultraman and Red Hood and The Outlaws. I'm also trade-waiting the Hickman-era of X-Men comics.

I think with the next wave of whatever is coming after Joker War they’ll see how what does what and go from there. Who knows though.
    Part of me is nervous about all the changes, another part of me is glad to see it. Which sounds more insensitive then I would like it to because these are real people losing their jobs. But when you got guys like Jurgens and Lobdell writing and influencing a good chunk of a lines books something needs to change. And even Tynion, not to be harsh but he seemed like a desperate safety net to try and get back to a the formula they did during the New 52 with Batman. To me DC seems like they have been spinning to find order for a while now. So restructuring might not necessarily be the worst thing to happen. We’ll see though.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 08-11-2020 at 10:33 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Westbats View Post
    I could see Tom Taylor putting The Outlaws in Suicide Squad and use it as a backdoor for a Red Hood and The Outlaw relaunch.
    Based on how underused he was in Injustice and DCreased I doubt that Taylor particularly interested in Red Hood.
    In both cases he was imo used to generate interest for the titles, but it was very little done with him in the actual story.

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    I think with the next wave of whatever is coming after Joker War they’ll see how what does what and go from there.
    I think it will take a little bit longer, the post Joker War stuff has been probably allready planed and written at this point.

That’s what I’m saying, they’ll proceed with that and then go from there based on how what does what, and what they see from that.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 08-11-2020 at 10:42 PM.

I'm curious to see how things resolve with the Bat Family ... there's a lot of different threads about this already but it seems like one of the central things to straighten out, if Batwoman will change identities to incorporate the new character on the TV show...
    Considering the backlash before the CW's OC has even hit the screen, that wouldn't go down well at all, if they did the same with the comics.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Just judging by the sales in the last months
    Batman and Detective stay
    Batgirl and Harley are maybe
    Nightwing, Red Hood, Birds of Prey, Batwoman and Outsiders are out

Just judging by potential media synergy
    Batman, Detective and Harley stays
    Batgirl gets a new direction for young girls
    Nightwing and Red Hood are going to Titans
    Batwoman's getting a relaunch with the new main character
    Cass Cain will join in Harley and Birds of Prey
    Tim and Steph remain in Young Justice
    Last edited by Restingvoice; 08-12-2020 at 12:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    Just judging by the sales in the last months
    Batman and Detective stay
    Batgirl and Harley are maybe
    Nightwing, Red Hood, Birds of Prey, Batwoman and Outsiders are out

Just judging by potential media synergy
    Batman, Detective and Harley stays
    Batgirl gets a new direction for young girls
    Nightwing and Red Hood are going to Titans
    Batwoman's getting a relaunch with the new main character
    Cass Cain will join in Harley and Birds of Prey
    Tim and Steph remain in Young Justice
    Batgirl and Outsiders are getting their final issues in October.
    I don't think Birds of Prey currently has an ongoing.
    Last edited by DurararaFTW; 08-12-2020 at 03:27 AM.

Yeah, I think the triple Batgirl theory (based on the Batman #100 art) is probably right - in which case, Batgirl is ending so it can relaunch as Batgirls.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman