The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Default Favorite Batman comics narrative voice?

When THE DARK KNIGHT RETURNS was published in 1986, Frank Miller popularized having Batman/Bruce Wayne narrating his own stories. It was so influential that nearly all Batman writers of the second half of the 1980s and 1990s followed this approach. Since the turn of the century, however, having Batman/Bruce narrate his stories has fallen out of favor, and most current Batman stories are done by allowing readers to be voyeurs into his actions and words, but not his thoughts. Which approach do you prefer for the narrative voice of Batman stories?

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Incredible Member

A little narration always helps especially when your reading a book and the artist isn't as skilled that you don't understand what the artist is trying to convey.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Since he's quiet most of the time I prefer the first person narration

Quote Originally Posted by Mace Dolex View Post
    A little narration always helps especially when your reading a book and the artist isn't as skilled that you don't understand what the artist is trying to convey.
    I don't mind the narrator approach. I prefer it to be the author of the comic. It should include details not obvious in the art. But, the artist should be good enough that the action is always clear. I always liked William Dozier's voice.

I've always been a fan of the traditional third person omniscient narrator.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Oh, tbc from above, first person narration as long as they don't get too noir.
    A good noir is good for the atmosphere, but people trying to do noir can end up with lines like this

"I can smell the tobacco in the air, it enters my mouth. Dark. Bitter. The taste reminds me of gunpowder. The two shots that killed my parents. I can still feel the tears mixed with the smoke. Pearls falling on the sidewalk."

Like... don't do that. You're just gonna make me laugh.

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    Oh, tbc from above, first person narration as long as they don't get too noir.
    A good noir is good for the atmosphere, but people trying to do noir can end up with lines like this

"I can smell the tobacco in the air, it enters my mouth. Dark. Bitter. The taste reminds me of gunpowder. The two shots that killed my parents. I can still feel the tears mixed with the smoke. Pearls falling on the sidewalk."

Like... don't do that. You're just gonna make me laugh.
    That's good!!! You could have a lot of fun with that idea!