Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 91516171819
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Zaresh View Post
    Perhaps women and teens don't buy toys, but they (we) buy other stuff when they can. And sure, subs are a thing.
    That's totally true. In fact, women are one of the best buyers (for merchandise they care about).

In Japan, anime toward teens or woman also depends on merchandise sales (all anime depends on merchandise sales). However, the merchandise they sell isn't superhero toys (or even toys).

Matel likely doesn't want to create other things. It makes sense since they are mainly a toy company.
    Last edited by Konja7; 08-22-2020 at 10:03 AM.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Konja7 View Post
    It isn't really out-dated, it is still pretty important.

In Japan, they also rely in merchandise sales for anime.

However, "animation is only for kids" is not a concept there. They could create anime for teen and adults and the merchandise that they create is for this audience (not superhero toys).
    I am not speaking to merchandise generally, just limiting it to toys made only for little kids. If I had a different means to support Young Justice or GL:TAS when it was airing on CN other than the kids toys and watching the show when it aired, I would have. Collectables, shirts, pins, etc...there are a lot of options out there.

I do think it's fair to say that kids today don't play with as many toys as they used to since streaming/video games became bigger. Even the MLP toys got a huge bump because there were adults buying them as collector's items.

I wouldn't compare Japan's market, which has a much greater emphasis on physical collectables (manga, DVDs, CDs, action figures, etc) than the US does. Not saying that culture doesn't exist in the states; it totally does, but not to the same extent by a long stretch.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Konja7 View Post
    If I'm not mistaken, most sponsors finance the creation of a cartoon, because these sponsors are the companies that create and sell these toys.

That is why good toys sales are so important, because if the toy sales aren't so good, sponsors will stop financing.
    It varies based on what show you are talking about and what contract they have with the network.

Netflix's She-ra-we did not see toys until season 4.
    Netflix's Voltron-if that show had toys I NEVER saw them.

Most shows at least on Cartoon Network don't have toys. Adult Swim do at times and if you can find them.

Part of the issue with toys is-who gets made into a toy and can you FIND it without going online.

If Young Justice had tossed Static in season one-Young Justice would be in season what 10 by now?
    Part of the issue is way too many lines keeps tossing out the same 4-5 folks.
    I look at the Macfarlane DC figures. You know how many I see who are NOT named John Stewart or Harley collecting dust?
    I can look at a line and tell you who will sell. I don't see Vixen or Duke or Jessica or Wallace figures on pegs warming.
    Power Rangers? Blue and Velvet Bug Buster yes-Red and the others no.
    Marvel Rising-everybody wanted Patriot.
    If I was the WWE I would STOP making Cena, HHH, Roman and diva figures.
    Marvel needs to be more selective too. Who asked for Rock Python? Can I get Speedball, Firestar, Marvel Boy, Narmorita & Nova? SO I can have the New Warriors?
    DC needs to tone down on Batman. Unless there is a movie and he wears that outfit-then no more.

And I KNOW it's them being cheap and reusing old stuff-but come on.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    It varies based on what show you are talking about and what contract they have with the network.

Netflix's She-ra-we did not see toys until season 4.
    Netflix's Voltron-if that show had toys I NEVER saw them.

Most shows at least on Cartoon Network don't have toys. Adult Swim do at times and if you can find them.

Part of the issue with toys is-who gets made into a toy and can you FIND it without going online.

If Young Justice had tossed Static in season one-Young Justice would be in season what 10 by now?
    Part of the issue is way too many lines keeps tossing out the same 4-5 folks.
    I look at the Macfarlane DC figures. You know how many I see who are NOT named John Stewart or Harley collecting dust?
    I can look at a line and tell you who will sell. I don't see Vixen or Duke or Jessica or Wallace figures on pegs warming.
    Power Rangers? Blue and Velvet Bug Buster yes-Red and the others no.
    Marvel Rising-everybody wanted Patriot.
    If I was the WWE I would STOP making Cena, HHH, Roman and diva figures.
    Marvel needs to be more selective too. Who asked for Rock Python? Can I get Speedball, Firestar, Marvel Boy, Narmorita & Nova? SO I can have the New Warriors?
    DC needs to tone down on Batman. Unless there is a movie and he wears that outfit-then no more.

And I KNOW it's them being cheap and reusing old stuff-but come on.
    I'm not surprised toys aren't so important for She-Ra and Voltron in Netflix, since the main goal with these Cartoon is increase the subscriptions. After all, that was the reason why YJ returned.

I don't think more toys of different characters would be the solution for YJ, when the main problem seems to be that the audience this Cartoon is attracting isn't so interested in toys.
    Last edited by Konja7; 08-22-2020 at 05:32 PM.