Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Default Twilight Sparkle vs Star Butterfly

Twilight Sparkle, the little Pony Princess of Friendship

vs.

Star Butterfly, the Underestimated queen of Mewni

Which of these two magic using royals will come out on top?

Bonus: They sit and talk

E-Liter3K Scoped Headshot The MunchKING's Avatar

Twilight had a power-up that let her rip magic out of other people. Star is plucky, but no match for an alicorn without her magic.
    The MunchKING is Back! And he is AWSOME!

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The MunchKING View Post
    Twilight had a power-up that let her rip magic out of other people. Star is plucky, but no match for an alicorn without her magic.
    Couple of questions on this.

Strongest being that magic removal worked on?

How quick is it to activate and take effect?

Speed feats for Twilight indicating she can go first?

Star has extensive feats of mucking with the source of her own magic and overcoming it being corrupted or otherwise blocked from her. Further to that, said magic isn't necessarily contained within her, it's in her connection to another dimension of boundless magical energy and additionally in her wand which serves to focus that connection, so I don't know if Twilight could remove that necessarily.

Also, Star has a hell of a lot of at will high explosive destruction at her fingertips. If Twilight is anything less than immediate in the debilitating effects of this drain, Star can just nuke her face off.

Just to expand a little, this sequence has Star busting out point-and-click transmutation, significant maiming of an opponent with a chantless spell (she blows Toffee's arm off) and the difference in scale of her power when she actually focuses rather than just firing things at will.

And this is first season Star. Before she had read the dark chapter of her ancestral spellbook, before she accessed her butterfly super form and before she learnt to commune with magic without the assistance of the wand.

Star is no toy.

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    Couple of questions on this.

Strongest being that magic removal worked on?
    A magic centaur guy who had absorbed literally all the other ponies' AND Discord's magic across Equestria.

How quick is it to activate and take effect?
    LOOKED like it was an at will thing, she actually DID give Friendship speech ahead of time though.

Speed feats for Twilight indicating she can go first?
    She didn't need to come up with a doofy rhyme first? Or even "calling her attacks" like Star did for almost all her spells.

I mean she was pretty fast with the combat magic for a Pony, I don't remember Star having legit Superspeed.

Star has extensive feats of mucking with the source of her own magic and overcoming it being corrupted or otherwise blocked from her.
    Usually by going to the Dimension of Magic and messing with it at the source.

Further to that, said magic isn't necessarily contained within her, it's in her connection to another dimension of boundless magical energy and additionally in her wand which serves to focus that connection, so I don't know if Twilight could remove that necessarily.
    She has drained all the magic out of a being that had absorbed all the magic out of Equestria. Including what was basically a Magical Q.

Just to expand a little, this sequence has Star busting out point-and-click transmutation, significant maiming of an opponent with a chantless spell (she blows Toffee's arm off) and the difference in scale of her power when she actually focuses rather than just firing things at will.
    May I introduce you to MLP: The Dragon Ball Z edition?

Admittedly that's when she was powered up with the magic of all the other Alicorns. But in a way that makes it an even better speed-of-casting feat. Even with the power incontinence she was showing at the beginning of the clip, she was throwing out teleports, beam spam, and mountain-proof shields at the speed of the battle. She's a powerhouse when she get serious too.

And this is first season Star. Before she had read the dark chapter of her ancestral spellbook, before she accessed her butterfly super form and before she learnt to commune with magic without the assistance of the wand.

Star is no toy.
    Well even if we don't go with Rainbow power Super Sayin Twilight, she did have TK strong enough to freeze two large families that were in the middle of warring in place which also worked on some of the most powerful ponies in Equestria. Then there's the bit where she disincorporates people and send there magical essence back into a magic pond. Whereas Star can some Narwhales Twilight can summon MUCH more dangerous things! Also her teleport worked even OUTSIDE OF THE CARTOON at the end of that episode. So if Star kicks Twilight into the Void or something like she did to Ludo, Twilight can probably teleport back.

EDIT: looking at the feat for the last one, it's more like she tears a hole in the dimensional barriers for her to walk out of the cartoon. Same basic principle though.

Extraordinary Member

Most of Twilight's best feats have her powered up by external sources (absorbing the other princesses' magic, the rainbow box) or working with her friends to summon up the magic of friendship, and we never really get to see her do anything once she's become a fully fledged alicorn princess in the final episode.

But she is an experienced combatant with potent TK and teleportation as well as flight, powerful energy blasts and magical shields. If nothing else she'll be a pain to pin down.

A magic centaur guy who had absorbed literally all the other ponies' AND Discord's magic across Equestria.

LOOKED like it was an at will thing, she actually DID give Friendship speech ahead of time though.
    Okay, but that is a specific power up and appears to involve all of the 6 ponies working in concert to do. It also shows them all in different forms to their default and Twilight specifically notes that she's not using her natural abilities but said powerup.

I am very dubious on this being a thing she can just bust out at will unless you have other clips to support it.

She didn't need to come up with a doofy rhyme first? Or even "calling her attacks" like Star did for almost all her spells.
    As shown in the clip I posted earlier, Star doesn't /need/ to call spells for powerful magical effects. She can transmute her with a flick of the wrist. Star's magic generally becomes more powerful is she practices proper casting form or uses actual verbal spells but it's by no means a requirement for her.

I mean she was pretty fast with the combat magic for a Pony, I don't remember Star having legit Superspeed.
    Star was also "pretty fast," for a Mewman, you got anything solid that suggests a speed advantage.

She has drained all the magic out of a being that had absorbed all the magic out of Equestria. Including what was basically a Magical Q.
    Again, with the support of five other ponies and a big old one off-looking external powerup that is not part of her standard ability set as far as I can see.

May I introduce you to MLP: The Dragon Ball Z edition?

Admittedly that's when she was powered up with the magic of all the other Alicorns. But in a way that makes it an even better speed-of-casting feat. Even with the power incontinence she was showing at the beginning of the clip, she was throwing out teleports, beam spam, and mountain-proof shields at the speed of the battle. She's a powerhouse when she get serious too.
    Again, if it's a specifically amped Twilight outside of her normal abilities, this isn't relevant to the thread. Star couldn't beat Twilight if she jacked the powers of her entire race, but how about Twilight herself?

Well even if we don't go with Rainbow power Super Sayin Twilight, she did have TK strong enough to freeze two large families that were in the middle of warring in place which also worked on some of the most powerful ponies in Equestria.
    Now this is a good feat, impressive scale and targetting. Had a small amount of charge and cast time I note but that's likely a facet of range. The other duel feat you showed also showed her having pretty good at will TK with a small charge on her horn glowing. So... she could freeze Star but I'm not sure if she could do so before Star blasts her with a transmutation beam.

Then there's the bit where she disincorporates people and send there magical essence back into a magic pond. Whereas Star can some Narwhales Twilight can summon MUCH more dangerous things! Also her teleport worked even OUTSIDE OF THE CARTOON at the end of that episode. So if Star kicks Twilight into the Void or something like she did to Ludo, Twilight can probably teleport back. EDIT: looking at the feat for the last one, it's more like she tears a hole in the dimensional barriers for her to walk out of the cartoon. Same basic principle though.
    That's a comic relief sequence at the end of an episode, hardly indicative anything significant. I am dubious on how much "breaking the fourth wall," is a feat of power as not all fiction treats it as equal.

The duel feat has some neat feats but I'm not sure what you mean by summoning? She summoned some flies to eat a pie?

The discorporation feat looks like she's just blasting clones of Pinky and then they go back to the pool from whence they were summoned of their own accord. It's unclear if she's doing all of that.

Currently I'm leaning Star gets transmutation beam out roughly at the same time Twilight freezes her. One move is more debilitating the other so I'd back Star. Seems close though.

As shown in the clip I posted earlier, Star doesn't /need/ to call spells for powerful magical effects. She can transmute her with a flick of the wrist. Star's magic generally becomes more powerful is she practices proper casting form or uses actual verbal spells but it's by no means a requirement for her.
    Well yeah, but when you're fighting someone with good shields and teleporting capabilities is when you want the precision/power that comes with focus. Which, focusing fast was something Twilight (as a nerd) was good at, and Star wasn't.

Star was also "pretty fast," for a Mewman, you got anything solid that suggests a speed advantage.
    Not really, I mean she can throw out spells really fast, but I don't remember her reacting super-fast to things. That's why I phrased it in such a way as to suggest they were probably close enough neither had the major advantage, and little things like "speed of casting time" would be more of a factor.

Again, if it's a specifically amped Twilight outside of her normal abilities, this isn't relevant to the thread. Star couldn't beat Twilight if she jacked the powers of her entire race, but how about Twilight herself?
    Well yes, but I meant that as a "look at how fast she can throw magic around" feat. she thinks and reacts at the speed of the fight, even when she's having trouble controlling her powers. She does it other times too, like the laser Gatling thing I posted above.

Now this is a good feat, impressive scale and targetting. Had a small amount of charge and cast time I note but that's likely a facet of range. The other duel feat you showed also showed her having pretty good at will TK with a small charge on her horn glowing. So... she could freeze Star but I'm not sure if she could do so before Star blasts her with a transmutation beam.
    Also like Dragon Ball Z I could point out she can explicitly use her powers while transformed. ALTHOUGH she does have her horn in that one, and she couldn't use her magic in Equestria Girls because she didn't. SO i would guess it would depend on whether whatever Star turned her into was close enough that her Anima would keep her having a horn

That's a comic relief sequence at the end of an episode, hardly indicative anything significant.
    It's MLP. A LOT of their feats are comedy sequences because the show is comedic in nature.

Big Evil villains you need to bust out all your plot devices for tend to only come along once or twice a season after all.

The duel feat has some neat feats but I'm not sure what you mean by summoning? She summoned some flies to eat a pie?
    Magic self-replicating, all devouring flies with the powers to make everything think they are cute. basically tribbles crossed with locusts and you've got the basic idea.

The discorporation feat looks like she's just blasting clones of Pinky and then they go back to the pool from whence they were summoned of their own accord. It's unclear if she's doing all of that.
    *shrug* she's definitely blasting them out of their bodies though.

Currently I'm leaning Star gets transmutation beam out roughly at the same time Twilight freezes her. One move is more debilitating the other so I'd back Star. Seems close though.
    Yeah Twilight has a lot of good feats. And I haven't even gotten around to watching the last three seasons or so, so she may have gotten even more.

Star does have her own transformation via the butterfly form that gives her rather impressive shields(fight with Meteorah), maneuverability, and power. Should tip the scales in her favour just fine.
    Saint Seiya Online:
    https://reborngn.com/?page=register&ref=408192
    ^-my referral

Star, it should be noted, can stop time.
    Hazard's Playhouse - Episodic anime reviews and other things. Current Post: Houshin Engi: What was Skipped
    My Fanfiction.Net Profile

Quote Originally Posted by Hazard View Post
    On a universal scale, at that. And that was with her original wand.
    Ichigo: What even *are* you?!

Kenpachi: Some say my mother was a train. Some say that I'm a rejected Godzilla monster too strong for the series canon. But everyone says: I'M THE KEEEEENPACHIIIIII!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Hazard View Post
    I completely forgot that this episode happened.

Looking up the clip, she did it with a flick of the wrist.

That might be game there.

Uh... no. Twilight did not 'rip' magic out of other people. She AND her friends were able to do so with rainbow magic or elements of harmony that they embody. She didn't solo them. She was able to keep up with a powered up Tirek due to having all the alicorn magic in Equestria, so that doesn't fly either.

Twilight's certainly no slouch, but she doesn't have the versatility or raw power (unaided) that Star does. I mean, Star's first spell was to imbue a broom with life and many of her spells are sentient and could potentially gang up on Twi.

Now, if it were the Mane Six or Twilight, Starlight, and maybe a few others, it could be a different story, but alone, no.

If they sat and talked? I think Star would get bored pretty quick with Twilight's lectures, theses, and theories, but they would still become good friends, as they can share advice and stories about ruling, friendship, and other commonalities. Star does share some qualities with Twilight's friends, so if Star doesn't get so bored she leaves and/or Twi doesn't get carried away, I think they can bond.

I completely forgot that this episode happened.

Looking up the clip, she did it with a flick of the wrist.

That might be game there.
    Well as noted, unlike Twi, Star needs to say her spells name and do a bit of movement with them a lot of the time, which is the glaring problem here since Twi can just fire them off at will.

In her butterfly state this isn't as much of an issue but it is still there.
    Saint Seiya Online:
    https://reborngn.com/?page=register&ref=408192
    ^-my referral

Quote Originally Posted by Cody View Post
    Well as noted, unlike Twi, Star needs to say her spells name and do a bit of movement with them a lot of the time, which is the glaring problem here since Twi can just fire them off at will.

In her butterfly state this isn't as much of an issue but it is still there.
    Are you not reading my post? She flicked her wrist and stopped time. No spell, no flourish.

Also, as stated at length in this thread, she doesn't need to do any of that for most of her spells beyond specific exceptions that are complex or very powerful spells. Proper form and vocal spells only serve to make her regular magic stronger, they are not requirements.

She disintegrated Toffee's arm, or rather turned it into butterflies, with a wordless beam she just shot from the hip. If she transmutes Twilight's head into a cloud of butterflies, that's game.