Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spectacular Member

Question What will happen to the comics in the DC Universe app if it gets shut down?

Hi guys

There are reports that the DC Universe app will shut down, are these reports true?

And if they are, is there a specific date of when the shut down will happen?

And more importantly to me, what will happen to the comics in the DC Universe app?
    Last edited by Mr_E_88; 08-11-2020 at 09:07 PM.

So far, they're just rumors.

If anything, it will continue as just a comics subscription app, like Marvel Unlimited (and still be cheaper than MU), while any new tv shows could easily be moved to HBO.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

I have no idea. Maybe they would do a rebranding with a cheaper price point?

Quote Originally Posted by HandofPrometheus View Post
    I have no idea. Maybe they would do a rebranding with a cheaper price point?
    Cheaper than $8 a month?
    It's already $2 less than Marvel Unlimited, and unlike MU it uses the same digital copies DC gives to Comixology, meaning they're the same quality as the 'paid-for' copies.

Boisterously Confused

Honestly, I could see them keeping access to the shows, just not exclusively. Maybe impose a delay on their release so they're not in direct conflict with other streaming services. Aside from the subscription fee, the real money in apps is the data collection, so they wouldn't want to reduce what they provide to customers.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

The $8 price point is fine, just put more material on it. Vertigo stuff, especially. Hell, I'd pay slightly more for that.

I 'get' why something like Gaiman's SANDMAN isn't on there, since it sells a ton in TPBs- but there's a ton of other stuff out there.
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 08-13-2020 at 07:35 AM.

You'll never get Vertigo on DC Universe. Marvel Unlimited doesn't have MAX and other mature readers content.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    You'll never get Vertigo on DC Universe. Marvel Unlimited doesn't have MAX and other mature readers content.
    Yes, that's why I'm saying charge a lil more and add more content.

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    Yes, that's why I'm saying charge a lil more and add more content.
    There might be ownership or participation issues with some of the Vertigo stuff, depending on the initial contracts. DC may not own the content to put it up in a lot of cases, as some of the creators have taken the content and republished it at other publishers. DC probably owns stuff like Hellblazer, Swamp Thing, etc. but not some of the other Vertigo material.

-M
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Quote Originally Posted by MRP View Post
    There might be ownership or participation issues with some of the Vertigo stuff, depending on the initial contracts. DC may not own the content to put it up in a lot of cases, as some of the creators have taken the content and republished it at other publishers. DC probably owns stuff like Hellblazer, Swamp Thing, etc. but not some of the other Vertigo material.

-M

Oh yeah, totally- I mean the DCU stuff that they own.

SWAMP THING and the tail end of DOOM PATROL (where it becomes a Vertigo title) are the only Vertigo books on the app. Morrison's ANIMAL MAN was on and it's still advertised under the GRANT MORRISON page they have up, but it's not there.

I'd like HELLBLAZER, Nocenti's KID ETERNITY, Morrison's ANIMAL MAN, BLACK ORCHID, SANDMAN MYSTERY THEATRE- stuff like that.
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 08-13-2020 at 11:34 AM.

I agree in that if a Vertigo title in some way is involved with the DC Universe, it should be included.

Stuff like Sandman Mystery Theatre, which crossed over with Starman, for example.
    The Books of Magic mini-series had a big impact on the magic side of the DCU, and it's also the best primer for someone wanting to read those types of characters.
    Killing Joke had a lasting impact on Batgirl for decades, but it's not on there, either.

If Swamp Thing disappeared tomorrow off DCU, I would list him, too.
    The American Gothic storyline gave us the debut of John Constantine, the deaths of Sargon and Zatara, and was one of the biggest milestones in Zatanna's history, not to mention one of the first major get-togethers of the magic community, if not the first.
    #50 was a virtual Who's Who of DC's mystic characters.

Of course, then there was the Rann/Thanagar issues.
    And the climax of the opening story of Moore's run where the Justice League appear and are helpless to defeat the Floronic Man.
    These two stories didn't impact the overall universe as much as American Gothic did, but they do show Swamp Thing as being very rooted (heh) in the DC Universe.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    So far, they're just rumors.

If anything, it will continue as just a comics subscription app, like Marvel Unlimited (and still be cheaper than MU), while any new tv shows could easily be moved to HBO.
    I hope that happens. DC Universe is my primary way of reading comics these days. I do like the shows, but I'll be okay if they move to Max - I'm planning to get it anyway, eventually. But if I can't read those comics digitally on my TV, I'll honestly be devastated.
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Is paying subscription to read/watch the only way to read there?
    If that's the case then it's like closing a yearly or monthly paid library or rental.
    If they can't close after everyone ends their subscription, then they should reimburse each costumers by the months left, but they don't owe you the contents, since you're just paying for the place.
    Anyway, that sounds like a hassle since everyone start subscribing at different times, so it's easier to just not close it.

What is going to happen to DC Universe?

The original content that is on DCU is migrating to HBO Max. Truthfully, that’s the best platform for that content. The amount of content you get, not just DC , but generally from WarnerMedia, is huge and it’s the best value proposition, if I’m allowed to use that marketing term. We feel that is the place for that.

In regards to the community and experience that DCU created, and all the backlist content, something like 20.000 to 25,000 different titles, and the way it connected with fans 24-7, there is always going to be a need for that. So we’re excited to transform it and we’ll have more news on what that will look like. It’s definitely not going away.
    https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/he...comics-1307413

Writer At Comic Watch Dylan Davison's Avatar

Looks like they have a plan for DC Universe App, that is not about original shows. My guess is a comic reading and community app, with maybe some old cartoons and movies?
    Pulls:
    Coffin: La Muerta, Lady Death, Hellwitch. Valiant: Shadowman. DC: Poison Ivy.
    Check Out My Comic Reviews And More At Comic Watch!