Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Wonder Woman #760 Spoilers

This run is not up to a good start...

It's bad enough that Diana shows no concern for the prisoners killed by Lord, but now she herself is responsible for killing (or at least injuring) people because she went into the battle sword first. Maybe this will teach her to use the lasso next time around?

Also, does she really need another villain with mind-control powers? She already has Dr Psycho, Duke of Deception, Hypnota, Osira and Max Lord.

I spent the entire issue looking to see if she could fly.

Still only crumbs...... BiteTheBullet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    I spent the entire issue looking to see if she could fly.
    That is like me waiting for her to fly in the DCEU.....

At this point the lasso, flying and Diana written in-character is all I ask from a WW story. But apparently even that is too much to ask

Astonishing Member WonderLight789's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Psy-lock View Post
    This run is not up to a good start...

It's bad enough that Diana shows no concern for the prisoners killed by Lord, but now she herself is responsible for killing (or at least injuring) people because she went into the battle sword first. Maybe this will teach her to use the lasso next time around?

Also, does she really need another villain with mind-control powers? She already has Dr Psycho, Duke of Deception, Hypnota, Osira and Max Lord.
    To be fair. She would have killed them fighting with her fists too. Since she was under a mind trick making her think she was fighting parademons.

But you are right. She doesn't need another mind control villain. And it seems DC can't even do a good job with her when it comes to trying to tie in her comic with the upcoming WW84. Because Diana is not using a shield and a sword in the film, since Patty and Gal already said that her powers and classic gear is enough. But no, DC must get everything wrong as usual. Sigh.

When one of Diana's basic powers is barely shown I have trust issues with the writer. It seems like Tamaki did not in fact do her research on who Diana is as a character and her powers. She had 0 remorse for human life, Tamaki really need to show that. The sword and shield are just constant. I could actually believe her using it against the parademons under mind control, if she didn't have Athena's blessing of wisdom that protects her from high tier mind control users. And the not flying thing really bugs me. She doesn't seem powerful here at all.
    Zaldrīzes Buzdari Iksos Daor

Quote Originally Posted by masterwitcher88 View Post
    When one of Diana's basic powers is barely shown I have trust issues with the writer. It seems like Tamaki did not in fact do her research on who Diana is as a character and her powers. She had 0 remorse for human life, Tamaki really need to show that. The sword and shield are just constant. I could actually believe her using it against the parademons under mind control, if she didn't have Athena's blessing of wisdom that protects her from high tier mind control users. And the not flying thing really bugs me. She doesn't seem powerful here at all.
    Does she have the power to resist mind control in Rebirth? I don't remember. The flying thing is a minor detail because we have seen other issues where she doesnt fly but we know she can. But it's still annoying i agree. The first issue was a good start. This one was not the tea. Especially because she showed no remorse for the prisioners. The only saving grace at this point, could be that she is out of character because of this new villain playing with her mind. I hope that is the case.

Quote Originally Posted by mystical41 View Post
    To be fair. She would have killed them fighting with her fists too. Since she was under a mind trick making her think she was fighting parademons.

But you are right. She doesn't need another mind control villain. And it seems DC can't even do a good job with her when it comes to trying to tie in her comic with the upcoming WW84. Because Diana is not using a shield and a sword in the film, since Patty and Gal already said that her powers and classic gear is enough. But no, DC must get everything wrong as usual. Sigh.
    Seems an issue across most depictions of WW in media aside from the movie. I remember thinking how tacked and on out of place the sword looked on DCAU Wonder Woman when they did that JL vs. Fatal Five movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Seems an issue across most depictions of WW in media aside from the movie. I remember thinking how tacked and on out of place the sword looked on DCAU Wonder Woman when they did that JL vs. Fatal Five movie.
    I just hope that WW84 can smash hard enough for the sword and shield to go away in the rest of media formats. That would be beautiful.

I haven’t read this issue yet but...anyone have any thoughts on the actual story or do I need to read through another 9 posts about her flying or not before we actually get to discussing what happened?

I love WW and I enjoy reading others thoughts and opinions about her, but honestly, this forum is a drag sometimes...

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Natamaxxx View Post
    I haven’t read this issue yet but...anyone have any thoughts on the actual story or do I need to read through another 9 posts about her flying or not before we actually get to discussing what happened?

I love WW and I enjoy reading others thoughts and opinions about her, but honestly, this forum is a drag sometimes...
    Whisper...I actually enjoyed the issue.

I didn't have a problem with Diana's lack of concern for the prisoners or even her bringing the sword and shield. In the previous issue, it's specifically stated that these aren't mortal citizens. They are described as "matter transmuters, energy manipulators" before Diana cuts him off with "psychics." These aren't your everyday cat burglars but extremely dangerous criminals.

I also didn't have a problem with Diana's lack of concern because Mariko obviously wanted to focus on the Max/Diana dynamic. Is it an either-or. Of course not. However, what really was Diana supposed to say. "It's so horrible you killed these men." Okay...and then? I'm not heartbroken that Diana isn't devastated at the loss of lives of people who were attempting to harm her just seconds before. Also, considering the end of this issue and the innocent soldiers Diana harmed, it'll seem repetitive to have Diana constantly shocked at the loss of human life as I assume the next issue will deal with the consequences of her harming these individuals.

Lastly, I didn't have a problem with Diana being susceptible to telepathy as I don't think Diana needs to be immune to psychic attacks. Hell, Diana chose to believe the lie of the fake Paradise Island created by the gods for how long? I'm excited to see how Diana deals with the repercussions of her actions next issue. I also wonder if this is Mariko Tamaki's way of somehow alluding to the Sacrifice storyline.

p.s. I really like seeing Diana have downtime with Emma, and I also love how suspicious she is of Max Lord. I'm okay with Diana feeling that some people can't be saved and having a more hard-edged approach to them. this makes her human to me.

Anyway, I guess I'm saying, since you haven't read the issue, I actually recommend it. And I'm looking forward to what Tamaki has next.

Quote Originally Posted by PopQuezy View Post

I didn't have a problem with Diana's lack of concern for the prisoners or even her bringing the sword and shield. In the previous issue, it's specifically stated that these aren't mortal citizens. They are described as "matter transmuters, energy manipulators" before Diana cuts him off with "psychics." These aren't your everyday cat burglars but extremely dangerous criminals.

I also didn't have a problem with Diana's lack of concern because Mariko obviously wanted to focus on the Max/Diana dynamic. Is it an either-or. Of course not. However, what really was Diana supposed to say. "It's so horrible you killed these men." Okay...and then? I'm not heartbroken that Diana isn't devastated at the loss of lives of people who were attempting to harm her just seconds before. Also, considering the end of this issue and the innocent soldiers Diana harmed, it'll seem repetitive to have Diana constantly shocked at the loss of human life as I assume the next issue will deal with the consequences of her harming these individuals.

Lastly, I didn't have a problem with Diana being susceptible to telepathy as I don't think Diana needs to be immune to psychic attacks. Hell, Diana chose to believe the lie of the fake Paradise Island created by the gods for how long? I'm excited to see how Diana deals with the repercussions of her actions next issue. I also wonder if this is Mariko Tamaki's way of somehow alluding to the Sacrifice storyline.

p.s. I really like seeing Diana have downtime with Emma, and I also love how suspicious she is of Max Lord. I'm okay with Diana feeling that some people can't be saved and having a more hard-edged approach to them. this makes her human to me.

Anyway, I guess I'm saying, since you haven't read the issue, I actually recommend it. And I'm looking forward to what Tamaki has next.
    Yeah, my thoughts on the Sword/Shield and Max aside, I thought this was overall a decent issue.

I can understand Gaius and PopQuezy. To me, this is a well-crafted (though I have some quibbles) example of a story that I don't enjoy.

Tamiko has a good sense of story pacing, and I think she has a decent grasp of Diana's character. But having the story involving two mind-controlling supervillains is just heaping on complexity, and I don't think Janin manages to sell the emotional beats of the story well enough. I also think that the story sets Diana up as a reactive hero. There is nothing wrong with that, except that she has been reactive for far too long. I want a more proactive Diana, who sets her own goals and works towards them in-story.

ETA: And I still wish we'd get a lot less sword-and-shield Diana, and an Etta who is out of uniform.
    Last edited by kjn; 08-12-2020 at 01:14 PM.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

This was a good issue. Too bad the art is going to go back to mediocre pencils after this.

Quote Originally Posted by PopQuezy View Post

I finally got around to reading it, and I think I pretty much agree with everything you stated. Especially the point you made about her not being susceptible to mind control, yet she was somehow duped into thinking the “fake” PI was her home for several years.

One thing that stood out was her fight scene with the fake parademons- did she seemingly call down some lighting? Is that something she can do now (perhaps subconsciously)? That would be an interesting new power.

The art was just as beautiful and dynamic as the last issue. I love how beautiful and powerful Diana is depicted without being over-sexualized.

Finally, and I know I’m in the minority, but I like Maxwell Lord. I always have since way back in the JLI days & I think he would make for an interesting long-term antagonist.