Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

I would like to say I’ve enjoyed this issue as well! I love the down time diana is getting and also getting a fashion sense (what I’ve been asking for). The only thing that bothers me is her not using her flight and I just think that they need to be consistent. I am glad she can run fast though! I guess it’s no harm if she can run sometimes. She doesn’t always have to fly but let us know if she can. #AskingForFans

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    I can understand Gaius and PopQuezy. To me, this is a well-crafted (though I have some quibbles) example of a story that I don't enjoy.

Tamiko has a good sense of story pacing, and I think she has a decent grasp of Diana's character. But having the story involving two mind-controlling supervillains is just heaping on complexity, and I don't think Janin manages to sell the emotional beats of the story well enough. I also think that the story sets Diana up as a reactive hero. There is nothing wrong with that, except that she has been reactive for far too long. I want a more proactive Diana, who sets her own goals and works towards them in-story.

ETA: And I still wish we'd get a lot less sword-and-shield Diana, and an Etta who is out of uniform.
    I don’t think I’m far off from you. Never been one for mind-controlling villains but while I’m not a fan of this kind of story I think it’s been done decently at the moment so I’m gonna stick with it to see how it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by HandofPrometheus View Post
    This was a good issue. Too bad the art is going to go back to mediocre pencils after this.
    What? Ugh... finally a great artist and we're gonna lose them? Wtf?!?

I like Maxwell Lord too, "Max Lord" not so much and I'm not sorry lack of flight is a deal breaker for me. It's annoying as hell in the DCEU and I'm not putting up with the same shenanigans in the comic.

Incredible Member

It was decent. A little thin on content. The art is great. On a side note, I'm so glad that Janin puts Diana in normal clothes when she's dressed as a civilian without a precious accessory that doesn't let the world forget she's a superhero.

When Diana takes that picture with the little girl - is that the point of transition to the illusory state? I initially thought the halos & points of light just indicated a filter on the photo, but now I'm wondering if the mind control is somehow channeled through technology. We don't know if the construction worker or the mom looked at a phone or some kind of screen before becoming captivated, but if they did, then maybe Liar Liar is some kind of...technopath? I'm also curious about the mania all three of them experience. Since Diana is fighting to protect "people" in her illusory state, her passion makes sense, but that mom was WAAAYYYY excited for ice cream last issue and the construction worker WAAAYYYY excited about doing what I assume is an ordinary part of his job. This point isn't criticism, just curiousity. I guess a manic state might also be an easier way to visually convey what's happening to the characters.

I still think the ultimate reveal a few issues down the line is going to be that Liar Liar is Max's daughter.

Quote Originally Posted by Psy-lock View Post
    This run is not up to a good start...

It's bad enough that Diana shows no concern for the prisoners killed by Lord, but now she herself is responsible for killing (or at least injuring) people because she went into the battle sword first. Maybe this will teach her to use the lasso next time around?

Also, does she really need another villain with mind-control powers? She already has Dr Psycho, Duke of Deception, Hypnota, Osira and Max Lord.
    Sigh. So we are STILL stuck with the sword and shield. Ugh.

Spectacular Member

I'm also in the camp that enjoyed this issue. Not perfect, but I found a lot of things I did like. While the sword and shield were in play, the lasso was as well. And the art itself was lovely. Similarly, she runs because she can and feels like it. Why not?

Fantastic Member

I don't mind the sword and shield. They have been so much a part of WW's character for so long now that I don't find them out of place (though I wish she would use the lasso more).

Also, one of the things that appeals to me about Diana is that she is willing to kill - not in a vicious, bloodthirsty way like, say, Wolverine, but in a methodical and practical way. Her decision to kill Max Lord the first time around was the right thing to do, under the circumstances. I find a warrior who is truly loving, peaceful and kind, but who is willing to make really difficult decisions appealing.

I'm also going to go on about Diana not being able to fly. This general depowering/underpowering of WW in the movies has infuriated me. To see her (apparently) lose one of her basic powers in the comics -even as the character displays the full range of her powers in other titles, like JL, JLD and WW-Agent of Peace (for the most part) is highly aggravating. It is unfortunate that the writer does not seem to have done her research, but this is more of an editorial failure - why aren't her editors filling her in on Diana's basic powers?

BANNED
    Themyscira, Wundagore Mountain, Talok VIII

I am soooooo looking forward to the issue!!!!
    Last edited by FutureWonder; 08-14-2020 at 10:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JackBNimble View Post
    I'm also in the camp that enjoyed this issue. Not perfect, but I found a lot of things I did like. While the sword and shield were in play, the lasso was as well. And the art itself was lovely. Similarly, she runs because she can and feels like it. Why not?
    This is why...

WW FLYING 11 PEREZ 2.jpg

Lack of flight limits her feats, her stories and makes her less wonderful. It took 40 years to fully gain the ability and I hate seeing her go backwards.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    This is why...

WW FLYING 11 PEREZ 2.jpg

Lack of flight limits her feats, her stories and makes her less wonderful. It took 40 years to fully gain the ability and I hate seeing her go backwards.
    She was flying in the 50s though. Did she have self steer control back then or was she more like kite?(goes wherever the wind blows)

Astonishing Member WonderLight789's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    This is why...

WW FLYING 11 PEREZ 2.jpg

It is the same problem with the sword and shield. They take away many oportunities for her to use her super strength, speed and show her durability. When will DC learn. Sigh

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Psy-lock View Post
    This run is not up to a good start...

It's bad enough that Diana shows no concern for the prisoners killed by Lord, but now she herself is responsible for killing (or at least injuring) people because she went into the battle sword first. Maybe this will teach her to use the lasso next time around?

Also, does she really need another villain with mind-control powers? She already has Dr Psycho, Duke of Deception, Hypnota, Osira and Max Lord.

My thought exactly. The story was *meh* at best. I really didn't like Diana delighting in killing what she thought were Parademons. The art was good although not quite as good as last issue. 3 out of 5 mostly due to the art.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

It was an okay installment. I like Diana in her civvies, but I’d like a few more clues of what’s going on with Diana and the mind control that’s affecting her.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mysterious View Post
    She was flying in the 50s though. Did she have self steer control back then or was she more like kite?(goes wherever the wind blows)
    Before Perez, WW could only "glide on air currents," and she'd occasionally run into trouble when the currents shifted or subsided. She didn't technically fly without the jet in the first 45 years of the character's existence. For the last 34 years, she's been able to fly unless injured or de-powered.