Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by dkrook View Post
    This is exactly what I thought. We got a very grounded, and good in a different way type of vibe with The Ultimates. I completely picked up on Jekyll and Hyde callback to The Hulk, and loved it! Seeing a more realistic Captain America had me embracing and wanting to see him way more than 616 version. Now that i think about it even the X-Men ended up being something better cause the standard bearers were not off limits to the writers. They were free to give a different voice to the X-Men. Miles was the cherry on top of the whole line.
    Define "realistic". While I hate how romanticized WWII and its veterans are often portrayed, it's hardly impossible for 616 Cap to be as forward thinking as he is.

The problem is that the portrayals were so over-the-top that it often came off as an edgy teen fanfic.

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    Define "realistic". While I hate how romanticized WWII and its veterans are often portrayed, it's hardly impossible for 616 Cap to be as forward thinking as he is.

The problem is that the portrayals were so over-the-top that it often came off as an edgy teen fanfic.
    Realistic (adjective): representing things in a way that is accurate and true to life.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Ultimate Captain America View Post
    Realistic (adjective): representing things in a way that is accurate and true to life.
    Nothing in Ultimate Marvel qualifies then. Ultimate Captain America is not at all accurate or true to life in the slightest. Nor is Ultimate Tony, Ultimate SHIELD and so on and so forth.

This is exactly what I thought. We got a very grounded, and good in a different way type of vibe with The Ultimates. I completely picked up on Jekyll and Hyde callback to The Hulk, and loved it! Seeing a more realistic Captain America had me embracing and wanting to see him way more than 616 version. Now that i think about it even the X-Men ended up being something better cause the standard bearers were not off limits to the writers. They were free to give a different voice to the X-Men. Miles was the cherry on top of the whole line.
    The Ultimate Universe isn't anymore realistic than the normal one. It's just more edgy and cynical. Unfortunately there are a lot of people that confuse cynical with realism.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    The Ultimate Universe isn't anymore realistic than the normal one. It's just more edgy and cynical. Unfortunately there are a lot of people that confuse cynical with realism.
    Cynical (adjective): believing that people are motivated purely by self-interest; distrustful of human sincerity or integrity.

Is Cap motivated by self-interest? No. He is motivated by the American dream.

Are the X-Men motivated by self-interest? No. They are motivated by the dream of human-mutant pacific coexistence.

Is Tony motivated by self-interest? Yes, but only in his exterior facade. Since he knew that he was dying (first miniseries), he is motivated by the will to return something to the world.

Is Hulk motivated by self-interest? Yes... and he's treated like a monster, and with good reason, because of it.

Edgy (adjective): at the forefront of a trend; experimental or avant-garde.

Why, thanks.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post

1610 Cap was “forward thinking” too. When he met Sam Wilson he talked about how he hated racism during his era and hated Zola for experimenting on Jews and blacks because he believed they were inferior

If you mean things like him not liking new movies, music, fashion or equipment that isn’t about forward thinking that is about personal preference. Ultimates 2 had an amazing scene where Steve tells Bucky he doesn’t belong here and he should be in the dirt with everyone else. Steve was frozen for 57 years and look how much culture and society has changed. He acts like an old man because in his heart he is one. Hell im 20 and I dislike newer trends. Basically what’s the point of having Captain America be frozen and a walking anachronism when you’re going to essentially make him a modern man? Stark was captured during the Vietnam war which would put him well over 60 now yet there is no explanation as t why he’s still young. The only reason Steve was retconned to be frozen in ice was because his McCarthyism anti commie 60s comics sold poorly. Like how would you react if you lost 57 years of your life, all your family is gone, most of your friends are dead and you are in an unrecognizable culture

Point is I really don’t see what separates 616 Steve Rogers from being a WW2 veteran vs a Gulf War veteran. 1610 Steve feels like he’s misplaced in time

Incredible Member

Cynical (adjective): believing that people are motivated purely by self-interest; distrustful of human sincerity or integrity.

Is Cap motivated by self-interest? No. He is motivated by the American dream.

Are the X-Men motivated by self-interest? No. They are motivated by the dream of human-mutant pacific coexistence.

Is Tony motivated by self-interest? Yes, but only in his exterior facade. Since he knew that he was dying (first miniseries), he is motivated by the will to return something to the world.

Is Hulk motivated by self-interest? Yes... and he's treated like a monster, and with good reason, because of it.

Edgy (adjective): at the forefront of a trend; experimental or avant-garde.

Why, thanks.
    Even Hank and Janet were motivated by science and wanting to be superheroes. And Hulk was only a cannibalistic monster in Book 1. After Banner “died” in Ultimates 2 he was able to reconcile with Hulk and act more like 616 Hulk

Astonishing Member

The Goblin Formula and Oz Formula both grant their subjects the same abilities, but the Oz Formula goes the extra mile of turning you into a demon, making you immortal, and letting you create and shoot fireballs from your hands. I wonder which of the two is more realistic and therefore harder to make in real life.
    Last edited by Kaitou D. Kid; 08-22-2020 at 10:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dboi2001 View Post
    Even Hank and Janet were motivated by science and wanting to be superheroes. And Hulk was only a cannibalistic monster in Book 1. After Banner “died” in Ultimates 2 he was able to reconcile with Hulk and act more like 616 Hulk
    Hank? The wifebeater? The same I said about Banner, but double.

Incredible Member

Hank? The wifebeater? The same I said about Banner, but double.
    Yeah. At the start of book 1 when Hank is testing out the Giant Man formula he and Janet keep talking about how cool it was to become part of a superhero team. Even after the incident with Janet, Hank did regret his actions not to mention getting his comeuppance (almost to borderline excessive degrees, key word almost) getting his ass kicked by Steve, fired from SHIELD, joining the Defenders and subsequently getting humiliated, joking the Liberators before betraying them and being locked up at SHIELD

Like when people mention the negatives about the Ultimates they either ignore that those were the point (Hank and Hulk) or it joke about how dumb things were (“A is for France”)

I was super into the ultimate universe when I was younger. It shaped my interest in comics as a young teen. Looking back on it now though, a lot of it holds up very badly. I still like Ultimate Spider-Man, but all of millar’s stuff comes off as edgy garbage now. I’ll always have nostalgia for the Ultimate Universe, but time hasn’t done it any favors. I would like to see a revival of a similar line though.
    Books I’m pulling: Justice League Dark, Batman and the, Outsiders, Suicide squad, Daredevil, Tynion’s Batman, X-men, X-force, Marauders, Hellions, X-Factor, Three Jokers, Deceased Dead Planet

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChaosIncarnate View Post
    I was super into the ultimate universe when I was younger. It shaped my interest in comics as a young teen. Looking back on it now though, a lot of it holds up very badly. I still like Ultimate Spider-Man, but all of millar’s stuff comes off as edgy garbage now. I’ll always have nostalgia for the Ultimate Universe, but time hasn’t done it any favors. I would like to see a revival of a similar line though.
    care to expand on how Millar’s stuff was edgy garbage?

Astonishing Member

I like Ultimate Marvel when there were no crossovers with Marvel-616. What's sad is the fact that Marvel killed off the brand before it had the chance to grow. There was so much potential. Let's hope that Marvel revives the brand so that Miles Morales is returned to the Ultimate Marvel Universe along with Spider-Gwen.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Darthfury78 View Post
    I like Ultimate Marvel when there were no crossovers with Marvel-616. What's sad is the fact that Marvel killed off the brand before it had the chance to grow. There was so much potential. Let's hope that Marvel revives the brand so that Miles Morales is returned to the Ultimate Marvel Universe along with Spider-Gwen.
    ehhh honestly Ultimate Marvel more than filled its purpose. It was never suppose to last forever like 616 marvel and in fact it began inheriting the problems of 616 marvel. As fun as it was I’m glad it’s over since it ran its course

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dboi2001 View Post
    ehhh honestly Ultimate Marvel more than filled its purpose. It was never suppose to last forever like 616 marvel and in fact it began inheriting the problems of 616 marvel. As fun as it was I’m glad it’s over since it ran its course
    And it's with this logic that we keep on getting issue ones.