Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default What would you add to Superman stories?

I don't mean exclusively things that have NEVER been done. Things that have rarely been done are fine too I guess.

So I'll do an example.

I suspect this one is something that didn't get done often, if one can say it's happened ever, largely due to the "last son of Krypton" story angle that editorial apparently likes more than readers. In Superman stories there's been quite a few teen sidekicks. Full Kryptonian(Kara Zor-El, Lor-Zod), part Kryptonian(Kon-El, Cir-El), or other metas(Mon-el, Natasha Irons), there's a variety of them.

You're probably thinking 'but what's it missing'? Teen antagonists! Sure you don't technically NEED them, but stories with teen antagonists are just... different than adult antagonists. They've dabbled with this in LoSH because LoSH is mostly late teens early 20s characters. But rarely touch on it in the main books. It's the sort of thing they might have done with New Krypton... if they hadn't blown it up.

At any rate thought teen troublemakers feel like a natural counterpart to teen sidekicks.

Incredible Member

Better action.

Steel would be Clark’s go to for tech and any science problems he couldn’t solve on his own instead of Batman. He’d also be involved in the corporate warfare that goes on in Metropolis

I’d like to see Kelex get fleshed out into an actual character. My take on him would be to make him Clark’s snooty French butler as a contrast to Alfred. So Kelex doesn’t think Clark should be Superman because saving humans and living among them is “beneath” him. He’d speak with a French accent to maximize disdain for Clark’s involvement in human affairs
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Steel would be Clark’s go to for tech and any science problems he couldn’t solve on his own instead of Batman. He’d also be involved in the corporate warfare that goes on in Metropolis
    this is something I always kinda saw as odd, but the longer things go on the more it's true. Steel is generally seen as having good tech... for a Human. But loses out to all the alien tech users. At least at first, but the more he does the more he learns or something.

https://dc.fandom.com/wiki/Davood_Nassur_(New_Earth)

Davood Nassur aka Sharif/Sinbad comes back and gets the Tim Fox treatment. It's redemption for this oversight/jerk move.
    https://comicsalliance.com/superman-712-muslim/
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbr...superhero/amp/

I'd go a step further and make him Future State Superman. But I'd settle for a spinoff set in LA.

Livewire gets a spinoff where she tries to go legit and Superman is her case worker. It's better call Saul in the DCU.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 05-31-2021 at 11:21 AM.

Astonishing Member

I'd add a fully fleshed out Clark Kent. It's been done, but not recently. I mean a guy who has a job that doesn't revolve around finding lame excuses to become Superman and demonstrating comedic clumsiness. Give me a guy who isn't known to be Superman and who handles the undercover investigative parts of being a superhero, dealing with regular people in everyday situations, and when necessary finds a covert way to use his powers to resolve a situation.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    I don't mean exclusively things that have NEVER been done. Things that have rarely been done are fine too I guess.

So I'll do an example.

I suspect this one is something that didn't get done often, if one can say it's happened ever, largely due to the "last son of Krypton" story angle that editorial apparently likes more than readers. In Superman stories there's been quite a few teen sidekicks. Full Kryptonian(Kara Zor-El, Lor-Zod), part Kryptonian(Kon-El, Cir-El), or other metas(Mon-el, Natasha Irons), there's a variety of them.

You're probably thinking 'but what's it missing'? Teen antagonists! Sure you don't technically NEED them, but stories with teen antagonists are just... different than adult antagonists. They've dabbled with this in LoSH because LoSH is mostly late teens early 20s characters. But rarely touch on it in the main books. It's the sort of thing they might have done with New Krypton... if they hadn't blown it up.

At any rate thought teen troublemakers feel like a natural counterpart to teen sidekicks.
    Leaving aside the sidekicks, Superman dealing with a teenage villain is interesting because Clark, who tends to see the best in people, would be inclined to do so even more when it comes to a kid (especially since he's now a father himself). This might lead him to underestimate the villain or ''go easy'' on him/her.

More young Clark as Superboy type stuff in modern day.
    More big kaiju/mecha foes for him to punch.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

A hat.and just that...
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    A hat.and just that...
    "Just" a hat? Sir, you do that stellar hat a grave injustice!

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    "Just" a hat? Sir, you do that stellar hat a grave injustice!
    Yeah! i mean,it's essential when dodging bullets like a badass.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EsBu2pWm7-E

Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 05-20-2021 at 12:13 AM.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

Astonishing Member The Frog Bros's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    Yeah! i mean,it's essential when dodging bullets like a badass.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EsBu2pWm7-E

Yep, hats are generally great. Maybe he could square off against Oddjob

unnamed.jpg
    “Look, you can’t put the Superman #77s with the #200s. They haven’t even discovered Red Kryptonite yet. And you can’t put the #98s with the #300s, Lori Lemaris hasn’t even been introduced.” — Sam
    “Where the hell are you from? Krypton?” — Edgar Frog

I really like the Archivist in Batman/Superman. Maybe he could splice together a reality where Batman is evil and Superman takes him down.
    “Look, you can’t put the Superman #77s with the #200s. They haven’t even discovered Red Kryptonite yet. And you can’t put the #98s with the #300s, Lori Lemaris hasn’t even been introduced.” — Sam

Quote Originally Posted by bat39 View Post
    Leaving aside the sidekicks, Superman dealing with a teenage villain is interesting because Clark, who tends to see the best in people, would be inclined to do so even more when it comes to a kid (especially since he's now a father himself). This might lead him to underestimate the villain or ''go easy'' on him/her.
    This is kinda like the way he's dealt with Livewire.

But also... Superboy Prime. Kal-el was like "but you're an alternate me! Surely you can't be irredeemably evil!"

In the case of Livewire it does eventually pay off and she decided she'd rather be his sidekick than a supervillain. But Superboy Prime? Not so much. If anything he got WORSE the more Superman tried to help him.

The upcoming Jon book has the opportunity to add some underused or not before used team ups. They'll certainly be taking this route (Damian already confirmed?) but would like to see lesser used Super family rep like Kenan (fresh off his recent appearance) and Natasha Irons. Also a good opportunity to bring in some underutilized rogues.

Similarly, any opportunity to have large scale Super family team-ups like at the end of the Bendis run. Of course, that would require a pretty high level threat...