Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Project#13 View Post
    I believe there is a way to differentiate Jon from his dad:

In Myers Briggs terms:

Superman/Kal-El- ISFJ

Jon Samuel Kent- ESFP

In terms of personality, Jon is like Superman only a bit goofy, energetic and more witty.
    YO!!! I was thinking something similar.

Clark - ISFJ (Think Henry Cavill in interviews)
    Connor - ESFP entertainer (Think Tyler Hoechlin in interviews; or Hal Jordan or Dennis Rodman)
    Jon - ESFJ (Think Chris Evans in interviews)

Personality Database is actually pretty good for DC characters: https://www.personality-database.com/

Lois is an ESTP by the way (like Captain Kirk), so Jon would be more extroverted like she is. (Wallace and Wally West are both also ESTPs)

Also, Damian is an ENTJ (Simon Cowell; Arnold Schwarzenegger; Aquaman; Lex; Thanos; Darkseid; Frank Miller's Batman)
    Last edited by SecretWarrior; 01-11-2021 at 08:47 PM.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

How about jon being like the monkey king-the impulsive trouble maker?They are actually going for that.The kid just bottled an entire city to save a child.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

I think a lot of people here might've already suffered through me arguing for this, but beyond the idea of "personality", I think the idea of schtick matters. Conner had a schtick when he was introduced, he was the pompous kid celebrity. He really changed at a certain point, and not necessarily in a bad or unnatural way, and right now I think his path comes with him landing on another schtick.

I think people have been defining important elements of Jon's personality. What I think Jon would get from Lois is her "What are you hiding from me?" and "I'll attack you before you get the chance to attack me". Young Lois is always butting into people's lives both as a reporter and not. I don't think Jon would go this far, but he would be far more inquisitive than Clark.

I also think those elements should coalesce into a schtick too. I think the idea of surpassing their parents is perfect for both Damian and Jon. And for Jon it would mean wanting to understand the things that Clark never looked for. I think the reporter nature of both Lois and Clark would leave a heavy imprint on Jon of searching and unraveling the unknown.
    Last edited by Alpha; 01-11-2021 at 11:57 PM.

Saying that Jon's personality is "impulsive" feels like defining him by his age. Of course adults are impulsive too, but it doesn't lead to a very responsible person

Well Future State Justice League and Superman/ Wonder Woman feel like a reskinned version of Clark Kent. Jon needs a personality that distinguishes him long term, not just while he is starting out as Superman

Jon Kent in the future state issue with Wonder Woman came off as nothing more than Clark with a different name. Literally nothing to distinguish between the 2 he even had the cape for whatever reason which no other future state comic has used so far the writer doesn't distinguish him from Clark at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    Saying that Jon's personality is "impulsive" feels like defining him by his age. Of course adults are impulsive too, but it doesn't lead to a very responsible person
    Jon ain't peter parker.He doesn't need lecture from his uncle to stop acting like self centered jerk.(except for maybe the personality)altruism is an impulse.It's at the core of a man's being.That's what superman argues for.That at the core, people are selfless.Goldenage/original Superman being impulsive meant.he was altrustic.He jumps in recklessley to protect those weaker than him without ever thinking of conseqances or thinking at all.Even if his own well being is put into question.Even if he became an outlaw.It's instinct.I prefer,Jon keeping the impulsivness.The monkey king is asian cultural icon for a reason.He protects those weaker than him with strength.He internalised true self restraint by choosing it and understanding it,not by fearing his own strength.Sure,you need to curb instinct or learn to direct them.Suppressing them ain't cool.You loose things.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 01-12-2021 at 12:54 PM.

Could you describe whay kind of stories you would like go see come from Jon? For example, how would you continue the whole Mstropolis in a bottle story? And what kind of story would you tell after that one. I wanna get a better sense of how you would make this a constant thing

All-New Member

Default The REAL difference Jon and Clark

After reading Superman: Son of Kal-El #2, I finally realize the true difference between Clark Kent and his son Jon

In terms of Character Alignment, Superman(Clark Kent) is Lawful Good whereas Jon is Neutral Good.

To elaborate:

The key difference between these two alignments is how they view Law and Order in society. For Lawful Good, they view the Law as something that is there to be followed to the letter to get good outcomes. Following the Law is always the right way to achieve Good and they won’t break it, even if they can do more Good by breaking it.

For a Neutral Good character, they will follow the Law if it truly is the best way to achieve Good. However, if they need to break the Law to achieve a better outcome for more people, then they will and they will feel no guilt or remorse in doing so. The top priority for a Neutral Good character is doing good and they don’t care which rules they break to do it.

Source: https://mykindofmeeple.com/neutral-good-alignment/

I’d say they’re both neutral good since Clark breaks laws all the time in pursuit of “good”. A true Lawful Good would be someone like Captain Atom or what not, someone who is actually part of the authorities.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Yeah I'm still not really seeing Jon do anything that Clark wouldn't. They just keep talking about how he will and how much he evidently wants to. Along with that same bullshit about Clark not considering himself a true earthling even though he spent all of five minutes of his life on Krypton. But that's a whole other long discussion XD

Incredible Member

Clark alternates between Lawful Good and Neutral Good all the time depending on how anti-establishment the writer and editorial are feeling that month. A rare few times we've even been blessed with Chaotic Good. Just recently we had a "Superman fights the industrial prison complex" story in Truth & Justice that, if anything, goes further with the "Superman fights the Government" take than the first two issues of Son of Kal-El have.

Jon's current take is less "a departure from how his father operates" and more "okay, so we put all the anti-authority at the very center of the concept of Jon Kent as Superman so that it can't be walked back the way it periodically is with Clark". Taking a few not constant (but not rare either) takes on Superman and making that its own character. That way you don't have to eventually shift back to "oh, I'm a defender of the status quo and the Korean War was totally a good thing" take with Jon, the way they always do with Clark.

As for how to make him different, I feel that's something the Son of Kal-El creators (Taylor, Timms, whoever succeeds them eventually) will have to build over time, because right now he is indeed a "chip off the old block". Granted, him going to a media studies faculty in college and working with activists running a news podcast doesn't really inspire much confidence in me.

Right now, I feel there's a few things that separate him. As Superlad has pointed out elsewhere, he's Young Superman, so short-hand characterization of him would be cockier and more playful than his father tends to be (as exemplified in his recent Shazam cameo; once again, there's versions of Clark that would do something similar, but not the current one). Other than that, a few elements like him not having a secret identity since before he's officially Superman, or simply him being the child of Clark and Lois instead of Martha and Jonathan Kent, could eventually make him a significantly different character from his father if the writers explore how those could affect him.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    I’d say they’re both neutral good since Clark breaks laws all the time in pursuit of “good”. A true Lawful Good would be someone like Captain Atom or what not, someone who is actually part of the authorities.
    Only one version of superman is truly an outlaw..He has been chaotic good as well.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

What people here don't seem to get is the very fact that someone pointed to those moments in Superman: Son of Kal-El #2, and said "oh, I get how they're different" now is exactly the point.

Doesn't matter if you can adjust your glasses and calling back to issue # one-seventy-whatever-the-f%&k to show people proof that this isn't new. It's new to the general lexicon and understanding of the Superman brand. Jason being the "Batman that kills people and uses guns" isn't actually new or distinct to him either. Bruce did that back in the 40s as more of a pulp hero, but no one cares (and they shouldn't) because it's not part of the general understanding of Batman.

So, yeah, Jon's officially the Superman that's about change and Clark has not been. Jon becomes the personification of that the same way that Jason is the personification of "Batman but with guns and killing". So even if I know of an issue of Clark's Superman that's as recent as 2011 I'm not gonna correct anyone because at the point of pushing up my nerd glasses and battling the ingrained general understanding of Clark's Superman in any given person's mind, and it's not a fight that I'll win. Far smarter than me have failed.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue22 View Post
    Yeah I'm still not really seeing Jon do anything that Clark wouldn't. They just keep talking about how he will and how much he evidently wants to. Along with that same bullshit about Clark not considering himself a true earthling even though he spent all of five minutes of his life on Krypton. But that's a whole other long discussion XD
    Yeah realistically... Clark Kent jr simply makes sense as a character direction. As for it being "boring"... ahahaahahaahah being a mild-mannered reporter is way less "boring" than people think.