Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Default Jon fans, do you dread him being characterized like his old man?

When I say his old man I'm talking about specifically about Post-Crisis Superman.
    Rules are for lesser men, Charlie - Grand Pa Joe ~ Willy Wonka & Chocolate Factory

As far as I'm concerned Jon died some time after Super Sons ongoing ended.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Hell, yeah! I do. I want the kid to have the personality that is more sunnier, quirkier, energetic,mischievous, have a bit of Superdickery ... Etc. I want the kid to even have the capacity to bully back the likes of damian wayne. The kid wasn't about the whole farmboy "yes, pa!yes, ma!" nonsense. I would also prefer the kid actually falling on his face with his unstable abilities again and again to get under control.i liked that jon liked to keep the image of goody twoshoes kid in front of his parents, when in fact the kid was upto mischief and breaking rules made by his parents. He seems to really love mischievous adventuring, having fun and ofcourse helping people as chivalry would dicto. Clark on the other hand is more about doing good itself and adventure is just a side effect of that.To put it simply, if clark is into "to kill a mockingbird" then jon would be into zorro, animes, jedis and ninjas.etc.

Also, give the kid the superman sword.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 08-12-2020 at 04:04 AM.

No not really, it makes sense to me that he is like his father. His father is literally one of the most inspiring superheroes in the dc universe, who raised him as a father and trained him as a hero, so it makes sense that Jon is going to pick up on some of his characteristics and mannerisms. How do you think a person would turn out if they were raised by Superman for 10 to 11 years, they would be a smaller Superman. Besides it’s not as if it’s just Bendis’ writing, other writers write him the same way even in an elseworld like DCeased.

But to me personality isn’t the same as character, yes Jon acts like his dad but he’s different because of his own history, friends, and the era he grew up.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    Hell, yeah! I do. I want the kid to have the personality that is more sunnier, quirkier, energetic,mischievous, have a bit of Superdickery ... Etc. I want the kid to even have the capacity to bully back the likes of damian wayne. The kid wasn't about the whole farmboy "yes, pa!yes, ma!" nonsense. I would also prefer the kid actually falling on his face with his unstable abilities again and again to get under control.i liked that jon liked to keep the image of goody twoshoes kid in front of his parents, when in fact the kid was upto mischief and breaking rules made by his parents. He seems to really love mischievous adventuring, having fun and ofcourse helping people as chivalry would dicto. Clark on the other hand is more about doing good itself and adventure is just a side effect of that.To put it simply, if clark is into "to kill a mockingbird" then jon would be into zorro, animes, jedis and ninjas.etc.

I support the energetic mischievous interpretation and he does have an anime poster in his bedroom

Jon having similarities to his dad? Sure. Jon being his dad's clone? Hell no. And that's my issue with Bendis' version of him.

Yes. Even before Bendis I was unsatisfied with how Jon was being characterized. There wasn’t enough of Lois’ traits in him and he acted far too much like a Clark Jr.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Yes. Even before Bendis I was unsatisfied with how Jon was being characterized. There wasn’t enough of Lois’ traits in him and he acted far too much like a Clark Jr.
    What are lois's defining characteristics ? If sassiness and jumping into things over his head are what you want. I mean, this is what happened in his first day out.

I think, The kid has more than enough of that. Only, the physical feature are clarks. Although, jon having purple tint to his eyes wouldn't be bad. As for hair and other design elements jorge jimenez's design is still the best and should be left as is.The guy understands the kid in a way no others does.

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    Pretty much. Jon died up in space after his parents carelessly left him in the care of a man they barely knew. So I guess we don't have to worry about him turning into a Clark clone. Thanks to Clark and Lois' negligence, he never got the chance.

What are lois's defining characteristics ? If sassiness and jumping into things over his head are what you want. I mean, this is what happened in his first day out.
    Agreed. There may have been times where I wish he showed it more but he was definitely just as much Lois' son as he was Clark's.
    Last edited by Blue22; 08-12-2020 at 12:19 PM.

I just want him to have something cause the discount OC super teen protagonist shtick he's got goin on now ain't it cause it's not Jon caisd he's being written by a hack.

this is such a mood

This is a real problem when it comes to Jon, Kara and Conner. Easy to fall into that trap. Makes it all the more important to emphasize the traits that set them apart from Clark. Be it their backgrounds, personalities, and power sets. Injecting a little more Lois into the boy would help a lot. Also I don’t think Jon ever should have developed the ability to fly. I’m kinda ok with Conner not being able to fly either.

Yeah, basically this.

Astonishing Member

The wild thing to me is I remember a time when Superman was a devil may care guy with a love of robotics who made shrines to his friends in his spare time. Who built completely functional robots of people he knew for fun. I remember a time when Superman actually did stuff for fun, not to get his daily amount of good boy points. When he was more than willing to set just about anyone straight.

People use to go on and on about Post-Crisis being "light hearted" and "fun". But he's not "fun" not close to it and he never was. Nobody who has the backstory transformed into "I was a very normal person who did normal stuff" is going to be a fun person. For all the posturing about how Superman needed to be more grounded following COIE, the fact that they ran as far possible from all that with Jon's backstory speaks volumes. They know Superman's Post-Crisis backstory is crap, even if they won't own up to it.
    Last edited by The World; 08-12-2020 at 02:55 PM.
    Rules are for lesser men, Charlie - Grand Pa Joe ~ Willy Wonka & Chocolate Factory

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    No not really, it makes sense to me that he is like his father. His father is literally one of the most inspiring superheroes in the dc universe, who raised him as a father and trained him as a hero, so it makes sense that Jon is going to pick up on some of his characteristics and mannerisms. How do you think a person would turn out if they were raised by Superman for 10 to 11 years, they would be a smaller Superman. Besides it’s not as if it’s just Bendis’ writing, other writers write him the same way even in an elseworld like DCeased.

But to me personality isn’t the same as character, yes Jon acts like his dad but he’s different because of his own history, friends, and the era he grew up.
    Modern Superman standing up for himself, having a spine is considered controversial. No one wants to be like. In modern times he's pretty much one of the most uninspiring heroes in the DCU which why everyone tries to be like Bruce these days for better or worse.

Quote Originally Posted by OpaqueGiraffe17 View Post
    This is a real problem when it comes to Jon, Kara and Conner. Easy to fall into that trap. Makes it all the more important to emphasize the traits that set them apart from Clark. Be it their backgrounds, personalities, and power sets. Injecting a little more Lois into the boy would help a lot. Also I don’t think Jon ever should have developed the ability to fly. I’m kinda ok with Conner not being able to fly either.

Yeah, basically this.
    Kara going into journalism and Kon going to Smallville High was so dumb for both characters, and I say that as someone who liked Lemire’s Superboy.