Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 27 of 27
  1. #16
    Spectacular Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    102

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    i'm not wild about yet more human GLs in general so I'm not familiar with this series or character.

    But how is her mere existence as being a non-white male pushing a leftist agenda?
    It’s not her race, gender, or sexual orientation I have a problem with. It’s how writers use them to prop up her character.

  2. #17
    Mighty Member Jody Garland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,479

    Default

    One of the first posts in this thread is someone calling the series fantastic, which you wouldn't get without a good story. Ultimately, stories are in the eye of the beholder and people come to stories and series for different reasons, so while you miht not like it, others certainly do.

    Also, it's not cool to cast suspicions on writers. Very few writers don't want to tell a good story and just care about clout. I'm not going to dismiss the idea some do- humanity consistently disappoints me- but no one gets into comics for clout or money.

  3. #18
    Astonishing Member Sodam Yat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Daxam
    Posts
    3,409

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Adset View Post
    I guess I’ve never understood why writing a character one way is fine, but writing a character another way is trying to conform to someone’s agenda. If Jo Mullein was Joe Morgan, straight white dude, this thread doesn’t exist. Why is one form standard, and the other an ‘agenda’?

    EDIT: I can’t spell.
    You're right. If this was a straight white dude, this thread probably wouldn't exist, because I doubt the initial core backstory of this character would be about getting fired from the racist crooked NYPD. I'm sure it would be a different story that has nothing to do with what's happening in real life.

    Quote Originally Posted by OptimusPrime114 View Post
    Which thread was this?
    I would have to go and find it.

  4. #19
    Spectacular Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    102

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jody Garland View Post
    One of the first posts in this thread is someone calling the series fantastic, which you wouldn't get without a good story. Ultimately, stories are in the eye of the beholder and people come to stories and series for different reasons, so while you miht not like it, others certainly do.

    Also, it's not cool to cast suspicions on writers. Very few writers don't want to tell a good story and just care about clout. I'm not going to dismiss the idea some do- humanity consistently disappoints me- but no one gets into comics for clout or money.
    Try telling that to Brian Michael Bendis.

  5. #20
    Incredible Member Adset's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    786

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OptimusPrime114 View Post
    Because comic writers care more about earning woke points than telling good stories.
    Except the story is very good.

  6. #21
    Fantastic Member Hol's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Posts
    297

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OptimusPrime114 View Post
    Try telling that to Brian Michael Bendis.
    What does that mean?

  7. #22
    Spectacular Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    102

    Default

    Maybe I’m making too big a deal about this. Sorry I was a jackass.

  8. #23
    Swiss army nerd
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Glasgow
    Posts
    340

    Default

    You know that symbol on Superman's chest? It IS an S, and it stands for SJW.

    The first appearance of Superman had him battling slum landlords, fighting abusive husbands, corrupt senators. Superman is an immigrant with more power than anyone and who uses that power to help the weak. He's the ultimate SJW and it's why he's so fantastic. I especially liked when Greg Pak had him fight for those being oppressed by the police.

    Wonder Woman was created in direct opposition to the sheer maleness of superhero comics, advocating love over violence. Freeing women from oppression. Battling for justice, socially.

    The X-men is basically one massive allegory for social justice issues - take your pick.

    If you believed in these characters and the messages they bring us, the lessons they teach, then you'd be an "SJW" too.

    And quite honestly, I could stand to see a leftist agenda pushed a little more.

  9. #24
    Spectacular Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    102

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by greatmetropolitan View Post
    You know that symbol on Superman's chest? It IS an S, and it stands for SJW.

    The first appearance of Superman had him battling slum landlords, fighting abusive husbands, corrupt senators. Superman is an immigrant with more power than anyone and who uses that power to help the weak. He's the ultimate SJW and it's why he's so fantastic. I especially liked when Greg Pak had him fight for those being oppressed by the police.

    Wonder Woman was created in direct opposition to the sheer maleness of superhero comics, advocating love over violence. Freeing women from oppression. Battling for justice, socially.

    The X-men is basically one massive allegory for social justice issues - take your pick.

    If you believed in these characters and the messages they bring us, the lessons they teach, then you'd be an "SJW" too.

    And quite honestly, I could stand to see a leftist agenda pushed a little more.
    That’s it. I’m shutting it down.

  10. #25
    Fantastic Member Hol's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Posts
    297

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by greatmetropolitan View Post
    You know that symbol on Superman's chest? It IS an S, and it stands for SJW.

    The first appearance of Superman had him battling slum landlords, fighting abusive husbands, corrupt senators. Superman is an immigrant with more power than anyone and who uses that power to help the weak. He's the ultimate SJW and it's why he's so fantastic. I especially liked when Greg Pak had him fight for those being oppressed by the police.

    Wonder Woman was created in direct opposition to the sheer maleness of superhero comics, advocating love over violence. Freeing women from oppression. Battling for justice, socially.

    The X-men is basically one massive allegory for social justice issues - take your pick.

    If you believed in these characters and the messages they bring us, the lessons they teach, then you'd be an "SJW" too.

    And quite honestly, I could stand to see a leftist agenda pushed a little more.
    Very well said....and also what's so wrong with Social Justice Warriors? Since when is that a bad thing?

  11. #26
    Swiss army nerd
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Glasgow
    Posts
    340

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hol View Post
    Very well said....and also what's so wrong with Social Justice Warriors? Since when is that a bad thing?
    Preach, Hol!

  12. #27
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    23,735

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OptimusPrime114 View Post
    Fine.

    Iím all for diverse characters, but I donít like how these writers are pushing her sexuality and race as if those are the only things that makes her an interesting characters
    Her sexuality and race are barely relevant to the story.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •