Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Marauders #11

Quote Originally Posted by Frobisher View Post
    Oh, is that what that was? Kurt seemed to place major import in that number - he's totally going to go all Mutant Pope on our asses, isn't he?
    The fun with numerology is that connections can be found anywhere (as in the also valid Tarot connection mentioned upthread or the 18th stave of the Elder Futhark runes is "Berkano" which can represent "wombs") but I think, due to Kate's heritage, the Hebrew one is most likely the intended one:

THE MEANING OF THE WORD "CHAI" חי

Eighteen is the numerical value of the Hebrew word “chai” which means “life.” It’s a deceptively simple two letter word made up of the Hebrew letters “chet” and “yud.” It is a Jewish custom to give monetary gifts in increments of 18, thus symbolically blessing the recipient of the gift with a good long life. is the reason for the Jews to give money gifts and donations in multiples of 18 — 18, 36, 54,180, 1800 etc.
    When giving charity, the number 18 has another significance. It expresses our prayer that the merit of the charity given stand in our good stead, that we blessed with life and prosperity. For all the many commandments in the Torah, Jews are reminded these are the laws “v’chai bahem,” that you will live through them. It’s also a reminder of how a person should live, in accordance with the commandments and as ethical, moral beings.

According to the Rabbi “Sefer Yetzirah”, the letters of the Hebrew Alphabet are the building blocks of the universe. He explains that there is a connection between objects and ideas that have the same Gematria (numerical equivilant), or other letter connections. Thus in some way, anything that equals 18 has a connection to Chai/Life. There are both positive and negative words that equal 18.

Ohavi – my beloved = 18

Aivah – a type of hatred = 18

Cheit – sin = 18

Perhaps, this teaches us that we can transform hatred into love, and that through Teshuvah (Repentance) we can transform sin (which is deadly) into life.
    https://www.beitchai.org/chaplaincy

Mighty Member

Fantastic issue! The art and story were great. I just wish that some other X-titles is as good as this.

The only thing I didn't like that Kate's closest friends such as Karma and Colossus weren't at the funeral. This doesn't make sense.
    Last edited by ericng; 08-12-2020 at 10:44 AM.

BANNED

the whole cremating a jewsih character is a reaaaaly bad take that pissed off most jewish readers and it takes 2 seconds to research.
    pretty anoyed and disapointed with that

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by ericng View Post
    Fantastic issue! The art and story were great. I just wish that some other X-titles is as good as this.

The only thing I didn't like that Kate's closest friends such as Karma and Colossus weren't at the funeral. This doesn't make sense.
    Was there a funeral or memorial when Kitty got stuck in the giant bullet?

Who showed up for that one?

Quote Originally Posted by ericng View Post

Makes total sense why Peter wasn't there.
    The Krakoans are EEEvil!

THEY MUST BE STOPPED!

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    Was there a funeral or memorial when Kitty got stuck in the giant bullet?

Who showed up for that one?
    No, bc she technically didnt die. She was lost and there was talk about trying to get her back with the knowledge that the longer that lasted, the more likely she would be dead. I think she was presumed dead after AXM but there was no memorial for her.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    No, bc she technically didnt die. She was lost and there was talk about trying to get her back with the knowledge that the longer that lasted, the more likely she would be dead. I think she was presumed dead after AXM but there was no memorial for her.
    I mean, the same thing could apply now, just substitute the bullet with the “resurrection failures.”

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    I mean, the same thing could apply now, just substitute the bullet with the “resurrection failures.”
    Not really bc she did die here. They have a body. She's been confirmed dead. Her status was not ambiguous

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    Not really bc she did die here. They have a body. She's been confirmed dead. Her status was not ambiguous
    But resurrection is not unattainable. Harder but possible.

It’s not like they’ll have a funeral for any other recent deaths.

Edit: Nevermind. I see what you’re saying.

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

This was a fantastic issue. Kurt's letter, the funeral, Emma, Ororo's scene on the train... until Kate's resurrection. I don't know if Duggan wanted Emma to look particularly smart or what, but the revelation was such a dud. An island full of geniuses and no one remembered how Kate's power worked? It didn't really work for me.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by psylurker View Post
    This was a fantastic issue. Kurt's letter, the funeral, Emma, Ororo's scene on the train... until Kate's resurrection. I don't know if Duggan wanted Emma to look particularly smart or what, but the revelation was such a dud. An island full of geniuses and no one remembered how Kate's power worked? It didn't really work for me.
    Moira would definitely know, since she was Kitty's caretaker after Mutant Massacre when her powers changed to always be phased.

Colossus should have been there. Writers may not like pairin but history must be respected. Ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by psylurker View Post
    Also wouldn't Xavier be able to sense the thoughts in the husk and figure out that it was drowning?

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post
    Also wouldn't Xavier be able to sense the thoughts in the husk and figure out that it was drowning?
    It is a newly created brain. Perhaps you could detect primitive drowning instincts but you wouldn't understand why it doesn't just hatch.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post
    What type of “thoughts” would the husk have?