Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast

There's no plausible excuse for Cecilia's power not protect her from such dumb attack. Her power are always active, not to mention that even if they weren't she could've easily activated them since the nesting doll first grabbed her arm. She had time to say "oh hell no" but couldn't protect herself with her ability? Really?

It all went downhill after this already stupid mistake. Unless those things can block your powers, I wonder what excuse will they have - if any - for what has happened.

I loved the book. My only issue is that Cecilia should not have been killed imo
    Oh, that and Colossus being oversized. Beast looked like a dwarf monkey-cat when he was in front of Colossus.

Quote Originally Posted by orionblue View Post
    Well put; I concur wholeheartedly.
    Thanks... <sigh>. Nice to know I'm not crazy! I think I've even updated it to I hated everything about this issue. It was a dumpster fire and a chore to read.

Quote Originally Posted by franckd View Post
    I loved the book. My only issue is that Cecilia should not have been killed imo
    Oh, that and Colossus being oversized. Beast looked like a dwarf monkey-cat when he was in front of Colossus.
    haha sorry! didn't mean for my exaggerated hate comment to come up right after yours! I'm glad you enjoyed it. I'll try to be more positive with the next issue.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Grunty View Post
    Cecilia Reyes. Survivor of Operation Zero Tolerance. Survivor of a Ru'tai dimensional invasion. Survivor of a secret mutant concentration camp. Medical Doctor with years of experience in emergency rooms. Mutant with the power of a force field that acts like a point defence system. Getting killed by a cheap matrjoshka joke with her own scalpel.

Is it too much to hope that next issue revealed that she managed to use her expertise and mutant power to stop the blood loss and keep herself alive long enough until proper medical help arrived?
    Judging by these current writers track records with death it seems unlikely.

When this whole "people printer" copy and paste system was established (sorry but i will never be able to see it as resurrection system, because it still involves the full termination of the original's mind and body included) in House of X, i was afraid it would cause the comming writers to become too casual with killing characters.

Because it's a weird trend in fiction that if a system to revive or replicate people is established the writers will cause named characters to die a lot more frequent than without such a system. So it's somewhat dissapointing to see these current X-men writers whole heartedly following this trend without apparent awareness of how cheap it can make stories.

Everyone getting "kennied" and the X-men all act incredible casual about dying or seeing their friends and family dying infront of their eyes.
    As i wrote elsewhere, i'm half jokingly expect Kurt to casualy die teleporting himself in a volcano between issues.

What's weird is how quickly they adopted this mindset.
    As far as we know Krakoa was barely established a few months ago (seeing how the rest of the marvel universe didn't had any major time skips) and the people's printer system is even newer than that (though it was noted they had some older cloning technology which they used before like with Proteus), so it's weird how quickly everyone got so used to it.
    There is not looking a gift horse in the mouth and then there is sudden shifts in personality and behaviour, which in most stories would usualy be a sign of worry for the readers.
    Yes death in comics has become a joke to readers, but it's not supposed to be a joke to characters (even immortals don't like dying because it HURTS).

Last week's X-factor had Northstar react to the death of his beloved sister (one of little more than two people he actualy cares about) more like someone who just saw his dog ruining his carpet, demanding an immediat replacement like going to the nearest carpet dealership and finaly dumping the dead body of his sister on the ground like said carpet to prove that yes the thing is ruined and his 1 year warranty for a new one is still on.

It's to the point where i wonder if the writers are unaware of odd/unnerving it can look, or if there is an editorial/writers mandate to up the numbers of casual deaths for some major reveal down the line?

I guess at this point one could do an anti-dead pool about which character won't have stupidly died at least once by the end of Dawn of X.

As for the rest of the issue i have to agree with the notion that it looks quite bad how easily Krakoa gets attacked despite all the claims of superiority.
    Basic secruity seems to be missing frequently and not keeping the bodies of the clearly geneticaly engineered soldiers in highly secured rooms seems oddly careless, given what the X-men have encountered over the years. At least Xavier's assassination can be chalked up to him allowing it to happen.

Mikhails appearance makes me wonder if he still has access to The Hill?
    Since it would essentialy provide someone with their own version of The Vault and The World. A secure pocket dimension in which time runs faster (compared to the marvel universe) the lower you are on said hill, which is also filled with techno-organic flora and fauna. Quite a treasure trove for anyone trying to speed up a gene tech based arms races isn't it?
    Then again The Hill was hardly ever refered to again, so it's possible writers just forgot it. However it might be interesting if it turns out The Hill, The Vault and The World are all somehow connected considering similar design and usage.

His interest in the Sword of Krakoa raises the question if it still can function as memory device? Considering that this Cerebro was made with alien technology, it doesn't seem farfetched to consider the possibility that despite it's reshaped state the data storage or transmission system on it still works.
    I have absolutely no issue with death and resurrections .For one why should you have the protocols if not to show that they really have overcome death?

Another thing is people like saying ,there are no stakes this way but I say in fact the stakes are there coz up until death under Craig Kyle and Yost runs and Second Coming you didn't really have that many mutants dying. I just got tired of always having mutants fighting mutants taking forcefield blasts and walking away like it was a pillow fight! That sort of thing was bordering on ridiculous,at least now we know when there is a showdown,someone not gonna make it out unscathed or alive.Those are real stakes even if temporary.If you look at it like a war it makes sense.In comics it is a continuous war between the select heroes and select villains,you cannot fight a war without casualties AND you cannot win a war with one fighter squadron ,you need thousands of dog fights or sorties,since you are seeing the same actors/mutants in the fight you have to have them die and comeback as a stand in for an entire army...

The gag on Quentin I agree,they can tweak with him by playing with his potential being a little off or his powers acting up after resurrection than him just dying all the time,to switch the fun factor.

As for Reyes all her previous survivals don't mean she went through all those in this (Moira X) life or that her forcefield works the same way in this life.
    Also the Russians dabble in power dampening so maybe they have ,in fact it says as much they have an insider who made them aware who works in the Krakoan morgue so it is easy for one doll with power dampening to target Cecilia specifically,absence of all knowledge of all extenuating circumstances does not mean they don't exist
    Last edited by Rev9; 08-15-2020 at 03:29 AM.

Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

I liked the issue. yes there were some problematic things here and there but overall I thought it was entertaining.
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by superjosh View Post
    haha sorry! didn't mean for my exaggerated hate comment to come up right after yours! I'm glad you enjoyed it. I'll try to be more positive with the next issue.
    No worry at all. Everyone can enjoy or hate a book.

I loved this issue and just love this X-Force run overall. But I can definitely see it's not for everybody.

I’m a big fan as well.

Fantastic Member Captain Buttocks's Avatar

I didn't enjoy this issue. I decided to drop X-Men after it's last boring issue and this one is now hovering near my drop pile (especially with X-Factor and Hellions making promising debuts).

I would point out that whilst X-Men was a boring focus on a boring character, this one wasn't boring. Just a lot less than the sum of its parts.
    Last edited by Captain Buttocks; 08-14-2020 at 07:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackraow21 View Post
    I’m a big fan as well.
    Yes. Big fan here too.

Quote Originally Posted by mikedesil View Post
    I loved this issue and just love this X-Force run overall. But I can definitely see it's not for everybody.
    Actually that was one of the point of the DoX line : to have different books, with different moods, flavors... So, just like you, I understand that X-Force is not for everybody.

Sleeper Piotr be creepin'.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Normal size Colossus

Extraordinary Member

“The hell is this.....”