Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Spectacular Member

Default Create Your Own DC Universe

I don’t know if this had been done already, if so, I apologize.

However, if you had the power to create your own interpretation of the DC Universe, what would you do? What would your DCU look like? What are your ideas?

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Well, I need to recheck Bored's timeline first but let's start with the fact that I want Superman to be the first Superhero so I'm going to move JSA back to Earth-2

Spectacular Member randomideaguy's Avatar

I would probably make something SUPER SJW to be honest.

Astonishing Member

I mostly prefer isolated universes, but I can handle a combined one.

Superman: Long ago, a mysterious fleet of aliens called the Coluans attempted to invade the planet Kypton. The Kryptonian military was seemingly able to repel the invasion but a betrayal by by General Dru-Zod and Coluan spy Vril-Dox fated Kypton to destruction. When all hope was lost, scientist Jor-El tried to save whatever survivors, he could but was forced to use an escape pod to save his only son. The pod was sent to Earth, a planet that Jor-El originally intended to study for its inhabitants. Kal-El eventually found his way to John and Martha Kent.

In the year, 1939, Superman makes his debut in Metropolis, after investigating the mysterious death of a wealthy patrician.

Batman: Origin is mostly the same.

Wonder Woman: Wonder Woman is the reincarnation of a woman who found sanctuary in Themyscira. The Amazons were created and controlled by the tyrannical Ares. Diana flees her home to plan a rebellion against Ares and lead her people to freedom.

Regarding Wonder Woman, guess I'd build off the movie/Legend of Wonder Woman and have her have been an active hero since one of the World Wars up to the modern times. Try and create a proper fusion of Martston and the Perez/Rucka modern post-Crisis stuff.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Regarding Wonder Woman, guess I'd build off the movie/Legend of Wonder Woman and have her have been an active hero since one of the World Wars up to the modern times. Try and create a proper fusion of Martston and the Perez/Rucka modern post-Crisis stuff.
    Personally, I would just make it into a "Generations" or "Life Story" where it's just that her continuity doesn't reset every few decades.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

For mine, the Multiverse would be back into play. So the JSA and all related characters would be on Earth-2, Captain Marvel would be on Earth-5, Charlton cast on Earth-4, etc.

Superman: pre-COIE Silver/Bronze Age as the template with stuff from Morrison's Action Comics and All-Star added in. No Super Marriage, though it's pretty much the unspoken truth that Lois is his endgame. Not many post-COIE characters would be here besides Steel and Maggie Sawyer.

Batman: Straight up use the DCAU as the main inspiration, but swap out Tim for Damian. Add in the rest of Morrison's toys (including Gothic and Arkham Asylum) and some of Rucka's stuff (Batwoman, the Gotham Central cast).

Wonder Woman: a combo of Marston, Perez, Jimenez and Rucka. So basically stuff like Steve as her main love interest, Earth One Etta Candy and Holliday Girls, Perez's Amazon cast (+ Mala and Althea) as they will be imagined by Historia but grow into having a technologically advanced island like in Jimenez's first run (Invisible Jets, Purple Rays, Mental Radios), Barbara Ann Minerva as the Cheetah with her dynamic with Diana, characters like Veronica Cale and Ferdinand, the Kapatelis women and Myndi Mayer living in D.C.,etc. Donna would just be an orphaned girl rescued by the Gods and given to Hippolyta to raise.

Titans: the Fab 5 + NTT cast (Cyborg, Starifre, Raven, Beast Boy, Terra, Jericho) with all the original stuff from Wolfman/Perez. Since they were the team who did the original COIE, I would add in members like Harbinger, Lady Quark and Nix Uotan under Nightwing's leadership as they begin the handle Multiverse level threats and travel to other locations like Earth-6 (Quark's home) and battle foes like the Gentry.

Nightwing: As a solo hero, I'm ditching all the Bludhaven stuff and anything that makes him discount Batman. He'd basically be functioning as Agent 37, just as Nightwing. He wouldn't have a regular location in his book and would travel across the entire DC universe, and his main semi-recurring allies would be from the Bat-Family, Titans or Superman. He'd have a rogues gallery of his own, but they would be ones who wouldn't be tied down to one location. Deathstroke would be his arch, but other foes would include Raptor, the Fist of Cain, Dr. Levictus and Deathwing. Since he has an equal claim to them as they first fought Batman II, Pyg and Flamingo are his foes, along with any others seen or mentioned in Batman #666 (Max Roboto, Jackanapes, the Weasel, Loveless, etc).

Spectacular Member randomideaguy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    Wonder Woman: Wonder Woman is the reincarnation of a woman who found sanctuary in Themyscira. The Amazons were created and controlled by the tyrannical Ares. Diana flees her home to plan a rebellion against Ares and lead her people to freedom.
    Speaking of Themiscrya, I recently heard this idea and liked it. Basically it’s like a Neverland for women. So instead of just one group of battered women from Ancient Greece, it’s a collection of all women scorned across time, having escaped to a better life. So for example you could throw in Amelia Earhart running the Amazonian Air Force.
    Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Deathstroke would be his arch, but other foes would include Raptor, the Fist of Cain, Dr. Levictus and Deathwing. Since he has an equal claim to them as they first fought Batman II, Pyg and Flamingo are his foes, along with any others seen or mentioned in Batman #666 (Max Roboto, Jackanapes, the Weasel, Loveless, etc).
    I thought Loveless was Harley Quinn post Joker’s death. Or was that fanon?
    Last edited by randomideaguy; 08-12-2020 at 01:44 PM.

I would completely streamline the universe to where it is not only reader friendly, but also full of history. Everything matters, to a degree and is able to fit in properly.

Earth Prime is the center of publication stories. This is the main Earth. Earth Prime is set up a lot like how Post Crisis Earth was, but without hiccups or headaches.

The JSA started in the days of WWII. Flash was the first public hero, followed by others. However, The early JSAers were inspired by another hero. We will get to that later.

The modern era of heroes began when Superman made is debut roughly 22 years ago. Batman followed. Etc.

The first 6 years of the modern hero era pretty much covers the Silver and Bronze Age, with slight tweaking. Year 7 is Crisis. Year 12 is Zero Hour. Year 19 is Infinite Crisis, followed by year 20 of Final Crisis and Blackest Night. Years 21-22 ate pretty much everything since, using a sliding timescale.

Basic, if something happened, you slap that is the correct spot. We know The Death of Superman happen in 1992, which was right before Zero Hour, so we say it happened in Year Ten. Barry came back during Final Crisis, so year 20. Batman Hush happened a little before Infinite Crisis, so we will say it’s Year 17. Etc.

So, back to JSA. We use an old story from the 90s to handle JSA and their inspiration. Superman Timd and Time again had him go into the past around the beginning of WWII. His secret adventures inspired the JSA so it makes him the first Superhero without screwing up what works.

Ages. This I will take out of what we thought Generations was supposed to be. The Age of Mystery Men began in 1938 (when Superman appeared in the past and inspired Flash, etc) and lasted until the early 60s with the last five years having the majority of the All Star Squadron working in secret.

The next age is the Age of Science. From 1963-about 22 years ago. This is where we get the far out SciFi tales of the Sea Devils and Challengers of the Unknown and towards the end the early days of the Doom Patrol.

The Age of Heroes are what we would be in now. With a sliding timeline, we would see this as being 1998 or so. Superman debuts, etc.

To make this work, you need to keep everything in check. It’s ok to add to the past as long as it does not completely contradict what came before. We don’t need any Pre Crisis Hawkman-type issues in the timeline. We can fold certain things in to place without destroying the timeline. Jon Kent was born roughly ten years ago. Ok. So year 12. We say that Lois got preggers during Final Night when Clark was powerless. Tim Drake is now 10 when he became Robin, right before Superman died, so he’s roughly 22 now. Dick would be pushing 30. Batman is @43-45. With the right editorial mandates, this outline would work, everyone can find SOMETHING that should make them happy.

For the new 52 lovers, hey, guess what, we make Earth 52 for you guys. We throw four or five titles out there.

There is an Earth 2, based loosely on the OS Earth 2. We might have an all star squadron book and an infinity inc book for you guys.

Basically, there would be rough 40 monthlies out there for the main title. Five for New 52. Two or three for earth 2. And so on. The multiverse lovers have a price of the pie, the die hard continuity buffs have their fixed time line. Rainbows and Pepperments and Crimson and Clover and happiness blah.

That’s my ideal DC universe.

Quote Originally Posted by Superfly Frankenstein View Post
    I would completely streamline the universe to where it is not only reader friendly, but also full of history. Everything matters, to a degree and is able to fit in properly.

Earth Prime is the center of publication stories. This is the main Earth. Earth Prime is set up a lot like how Post Crisis Earth was, but without hiccups or headaches.

The JSA started in the days of WWII. Flash was the first public hero, followed by others. However, The early JSAers were inspired by another hero. We will get to that later.

The modern era of heroes began when Superman made is debut roughly 22 years ago. Batman followed. Etc.

The first 6 years of the modern hero era pretty much covers the Silver and Bronze Age, with slight tweaking. Year 7 is Crisis. Year 12 is Zero Hour. Year 19 is Infinite Crisis, followed by year 20 of Final Crisis and Blackest Night. Years 21-22 ate pretty much everything since, using a sliding timescale.

Basic, if something happened, you slap that is the correct spot. We know The Death of Superman happen in 1992, which was right before Zero Hour, so we say it happened in Year Ten. Barry came back during Final Crisis, so year 20. Batman Hush happened a little before Infinite Crisis, so we will say it’s Year 17. Etc.

So, back to JSA. We use an old story from the 90s to handle JSA and their inspiration. Superman Timd and Time again had him go into the past around the beginning of WWII. His secret adventures inspired the JSA so it makes him the first Superhero without screwing up what works.

Ages. This I will take out of what we thought Generations was supposed to be. The Age of Mystery Men began in 1938 (when Superman appeared in the past and inspired Flash, etc) and lasted until the early 60s with the last five years having the majority of the All Star Squadron working in secret.

The next age is the Age of Science. From 1963-about 22 years ago. This is where we get the far out SciFi tales of the Sea Devils and Challengers of the Unknown and towards the end the early days of the Doom Patrol.

The Age of Heroes are what we would be in now. With a sliding timeline, we would see this as being 1998 or so. Superman debuts, etc.

To make this work, you need to keep everything in check. It’s ok to add to the past as long as it does not completely contradict what came before. We don’t need any Pre Crisis Hawkman-type issues in the timeline. We can fold certain things in to place without destroying the timeline. Jon Kent was born roughly ten years ago. Ok. So year 12. We say that Lois got preggers during Final Night when Clark was powerless. Tim Drake is now 10 when he became Robin, right before Superman died, so he’s roughly 22 now. Dick would be pushing 30. Batman is @43-45. With the right editorial mandates, this outline would work, everyone can find SOMETHING that should make them happy.

For the new 52 lovers, hey, guess what, we make Earth 52 for you guys. We throw four or five titles out there.

There is an Earth 2, based loosely on the OS Earth 2. We might have an all star squadron book and an infinity inc book for you guys.

Basically, there would be rough 40 monthlies out there for the main title. Five for New 52. Two or three for earth 2. And so on. The multiverse lovers have a price of the pie, the die hard continuity buffs have their fixed time line. Rainbows and Pepperments and Crimson and Clover and happiness blah.

That’s my ideal DC universe.

Well, all this without the five to ten typos I overlooked.

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    Personally, I would just make it into a "Generations" or "Life Story" where it's just that her continuity doesn't reset every few decades.
    Something like that, yeah. What I was going for. Feel it'd be a good way to steamline and combine a lot of interesting/good but disparate elements from her history into one continuity.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Oh and I also have no reason not to use Morrison's Multiversity map or Snyder's Dark Multiverse, the problem is whether I'll be making a book lineup starring anything but the main Earth

My books probably started with Earth-1 Justice League and Earth-2 JSA and that's it for the first month.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by randomideaguy View Post
    I thought Loveless was Harley Quinn post Joker’s death. Or was that fanon?
    As far as I know, Loveless was a name thrown out there for Damian's rogues gallery that wasn't elaborated upon. I think it's fanon, but it's possible that was elaborated on elsewhere.

Either way, Pyg and Flamingo debuting in that issue but later emerging in the modern day as foes for Dick makes me want to develop a pattern of villains from Damian's future (which is never going to happen) showing up in the present for Nightwing. It's not like anyone will use them otherwise, so free villains!

Extraordinary Member

Short version, strictly from a publishing standpoint: Every major DC property has at least two books, one set in a “now,” and one set in a “then.” “Then” books are set in the last for the heroes and teams, but can bounce all over the timeline however they see fit, as long as the writers of the “now” books are in communication with the “Then” book writers. Continuity is extremely flexible and at times even explicitly dubious until audience reaction is gauged - editors are in charge of managing the overall continuity, but with an understanding that writers can make agreements to forgo or “bet” against each other sometimes.

Long version, in more personal detail for me...:

Pre-Superheroes - “Demigods”/“Saints”/“monsters” exist throughout history, some magical, some extraterrestrial, and some meta-human. Vandal Savage is the original forefather of the last group (like in Young Justice), and may be the Biblical Cain as well, though his immortality has seen him forget lifetimes-worth of information, and flit between hero, ruler, and monster depending on his mood and adjustment to his contexts. The Olympian Gods raised an exiled Scythian queen and her court to become the first of the immortal Amazons, sunk Atlantis when Atlantean elders began combining science with magic, made a pact with the Wizard Shazam to impart some of their power on his champion after the Egyptian Gods fell to the Spectre and their remaining power was absorbed by the treacherous and imprisoned Teth-Adam... and then fell into civil war amongst themselves that saw Zeus, Hera, and Poseidon overthrown and cast down among mortals and Athena and Ares ascend in a tense alliance.

The Hawks began their reincarnation cycle. The Guardians of Oa sealed away two of the Emotional Avatars (Butcher, held captive by Ion) in the Starheart deep below the Earth. Early Speedsters connect to the Speed Force, but don’t yet understand it. In distant space, the Planet Krypton begins its long, slow decline into stagnation and self-destruction, as repetitive generations of the same people are replicated, follow the rigid commands of Kem-L, founder of their society and the High Council, and die.

Rise of Heroes and Villains - As the Industrial Revolution dawns, the first prototype superheroes and villains arrive, as the invention of mass communication, transportation, and Education causes some virtuous defenders to wear masks, and other cads and monsters to do the same. This is the era of Jonah Hex, Max Mercury, Nighthawk and Cinnamon, and Jim Corrigan’s Spectre (he will serve the lo gets in the role, almost 100 years, thanks to his restless spirit and discontent with a Spirit of Vengence he regards as too apathetic to humanity.)

The Cape and Cowl Golden Age - starting in the 1910’s, other members of the Justice Society begin to emerge - the first Hourman, the Sandman, etc., create their tools and begin to ally at times. The Justice Scoiety itself forms in the late 1930’s, with its youngest members, Alan Scott and Jay Garrick, emerging, and in reaction to an alliance of Vandal Savage, Ra’s Al Ghul, Ares and Cersei that first coins the name “Society” (as in “Secret Society of Supervillains) ; the JSA chooses that word as a shorthand to describe itself as a reaction against the villains. When Orincess Diana runs away from home to join them in fighting the Nazis, the JSAa foils the evil Society... but is wounded in the process. After WWII, a combination of McCarthyism, old age, reprisals from the immortal Secret Society of Supervillains, and just plain weird stuff (Alan Scott’s “Starheart” lantern begins manifesting his dark side as Lord Malvolio, and he can only be imprisoned if Alan puts the Starheart away... even as it begins to modify his body.) Diana returns to Themiscyra with a captured Ares. Still, some heroes and legacies survive in hiding to the current day...

”Year One” of the Modern Era This begins with some smaller, more humble heroes making their appearances/reappearances first (Green Arrow is the highest profile, and will end up being mockingly treated as an elder statesman for it)... before the age really kicks off with the return of Wonder Woman in pursuit of an escaped Ares. He evades her, but she finds that the evil Society is reforming, and begins to try finding new allies to oppose it. Shortly after her return, Bruce Wayne emerges from his “sabbatical”, and Batman makes his premier, slowly becoming aware of the higher technology that Gotham Criminals have. Barry Allen becomes the Flash alongside his would-be-nephew and student, Wally West as Kid Flash. We then crest with the public debut of Superman, who’s battles with Brainiac, left-over Kryptonian tech, and emerging Fourth World-connected Intergang begins slowly but surely raising the technological level of the entire planet. In reaction to this developments, the Guardians of Oa recommission retired Green Kantern Johns Stewart, and recruit Hal Jordan and Guy Gardner as well.

”Then” in the Modern Era - stuff happens. The Justice League forms, Batman takes on multiple Robins and Batgirls, Superman's cousin is found and both of them are targeted for attempted replication by cloning, creating Bizarro, Power Girl, and Superboy, Wonder Woman tracks down Ares only to find that Athena is the real threat, and she is forced to overthrow her, causing chaos among the remaining Olympians, and allowing Atlantis to re-emerge on the world stage with its king, Aquaman Arthur Curry. Eventually, the League manages to unite with the few remaining, reincarnated, or heirs of the Justice Society, and defeats a resurgent Secret Society of Supervillains for good... though partially because the Society’s “lieutenants,” including Lex Luthor, Bane, Circe, and Talia Al Ghul, betray their masters and quietly create a new organization - the Legion of Doom.

“Now” in the Modern Era - Most of the “families” are fully formed and into younger generations, as in the last season of Young Justice (so... Jon, Damian, etc. are born and growing up.) Wally has become the Flash as Barry becomes unstuck from time due to Reverse Flash, Hal fought off a Parallax possession but splintered the Guardians of Oa into the Guardians, Zamorrans, and Controllers accidentally, Kyle Rayner became Ion, and Superman was forced to reveal his connections to a possible future with the Legion of Superheroes...
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Mine would basically be like the post-Crisis/pre-Flashpoint DCU, but with the Trinity's pre-Crisis histories restored, thus fixing some of the continuity snags surrounding the JLA, Donna Troy, the Hawks, and the Legion.

I would also make a rule that for roughly every 4 years that pass in real time, the DC characters age 1 year. I used Dick Grayson as my benchmark, figuring he was about 8 years old when he became Robin (1940), around 18 when the New Teen Titans started (1980), and about 28 now (2020). So roughly 20 years have passed for the characters since the public debut of Superman, which was roughly 80 years ago for us. Batman and Superman started in their early 20s, and are now in their early 40s. That way the characters can age, but it will still be a good, long while before Clark and Bruce are eligible for social security in universe.