Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by ERON View Post
    Mine would basically be like the post-Crisis/pre-Flashpoint DCU, but with the Trinity's pre-Crisis histories restored, thus fixing some of the continuity snags surrounding the JLA, Donna Troy, the Hawks, and the Legion.

I would also make a rule that for roughly every 4 years that pass in real time, the DC characters age 1 year. I used Dick Grayson as my benchmark, figuring he was about 8 years old when he became Robin (1940), around 18 when the New Teen Titans started (1980), and about 28 now (2020). So roughly 20 years have passed for the characters since the public debut of Superman, which was roughly 80 years ago for us. Batman and Superman started in their early 20s, and are now in their early 40s. That way the characters can age, but it will still be a good, long while before Clark and Bruce are eligible for social security in universe.
    I feel like that would defeat the purpose of the slow timeline.

If Dick is 8 years old in 1940 and we go by the "1 year per 4" rule, while he would be 28 years old, the story would take place in 1960.

It would essentially make all of the stories period pieces when the point is to make it so that all of the stories and characters could take place in "modern day".

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post

If Dick is 8 years old in 1940 and we go by the "1 year per 4" rule, while he would be 28 years old, the story would take place in 1960.

It would essentially make all of the stories period pieces when the point is to make it so that all of the stories and characters could take place in "modern day".

I don’t think that would be how it works. Sure, Batman #1 was published in 1940, but with the sliding time line, the story would take place in 2000. The sliding timeline basically tell the readers “ok, I know in 1940, there wasn’t cellphones or laptops, but bare with us.” There are things that should be overlooked. Richard Nixon was President in a ton of Marvel Comics in the 60s, but we know High School Peter Parker isn’t 70 now. You just substitute certain dates people or places in your head Cannon to make the stories fit.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

I've got plenty of ideas for DC universes.

Earth 29: A Noir Earth with no super-powers. With just Batman, Green Arrow, an un-powered Black Canary, and they're all hunted by the police.

Vertigo Earth: This is the Earth of all the Vertigo books. Constantine. Swamp Thing. Shade. Enigma. No superheroes except in comics.

Classic TV Earth: George Reeves Superman, Adam West Batman, Linda Carter Wonder Woman.
    Assassinate Putin!

All-New Member

link to Boreds timeline pleas?

All-New Member

Edit: sorry for the double post.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Speaking about aging characters, I hold the rule of not aging a character until I've exhausted all stories you can make at that age range. Readers understand that these are immortal characters anyway

Umm... the youngest and further generation canon has gone are still the Titans kids right? Lian, Jai and Irey?

BANNED

I would streamline the universe and merge everything known in DC Universe whether it's Pre-Crisis, Post-Crisis, Flashpoint, or Rebirth. So to put it simple everything matters and really important to DC Universe.

Honestly? If I'm going to do my own version of DC? Probably just start from Year One day one and get some amazing writers to pitch me their ideas and go with the ones I like the most.

I wouldn't have anything from previous continuities count since we're starting fresh, but there are stories I love so much that they could inform the direction, tone, or talent I'd like to pursue.

Superman Smashes the Klan. After reading this, I would heartily try to get Yang to do my first "Superman" origin story. Superman is in quotes because the origin I want him for would be Superboy and the Legion of Superheroes! After Smashes I think he's just the perfect guy to get the hopeful positive optimistic tone of the premise right, and give us a diverse Legion that still feels authentic and right. Might also try to get the artist/s from that book too, loved the art.

We need a good Lois Lane series, and an origin is the place to start. I loved the Lois Lane YA novels, so if I can get Gwenda Bond to do another take I'd go for it. Or maybe just adapt her novels into OGNs and get her to make more?

My second choice on Young Lois Lane might be whoever did Lois Lane and the Friendship Challenge depending on how good it is. According to the UPS tracker I should get my copy Wednesday-ish. But I definitely want the artist on that book for Lois Lane no matter which writer I choose, just what I've seen of that art is perfect! Adorable. Don't judge me because I'm a man who likes cute things!

Catwoman. Definitely enjoyed Under the Moon: A Catwoman Tale, think that would work. If there's more story there Lauren Myracle wants to do, could just continue that.

Batman's a bit harder. I liked both Overdrive and Nightwalker, but neither were quite there. Still, I like the direction and feel of both, so young Bruce/Bats can be done.

If all this is a little YA heavy with teen versions of the big name characters, that's because that's the point. Basically if I'm doing s shared universe, I'm going to start at the beginning, I'm going to go after writers and artists who have done work I enjoyed, and I'm going to try to expand the market. My DC universe is going to basically be what the YA line would be if the YA books had to share a universe. And yes, it'll be skimpy on floppies, mostly being OGNs.

Of course the characters won't stay teens and will eventually become adults, but it'll be a good few years at least before we get back to a Batman who is of drinking age.

I only named Superman, Lois Lane, Batman, and Catwoman, but that's mostly because they're the easiest ones for me. I'd also have Wonder Woman show up in a YA/kids context/age starting out, but I have no idea what that should look like. I should put Wonder Woman: Warbringer and Diana: Princess of the Amazons on my reading list. But for sure I would ask The Legend of Wonder Woman: Origins writer Renae De Liz for a pitch, love that story!

I'd also want more POC and minority characters to get books. Black Lightning, Mr. Terrific, Vixen, so on. It's kind of hard since a lot of the diverse characters are from the younger generation, and they won't be introduced for a while if the first generation is starting so young, but there are characters who work or can be changed to fit the same generation as Superman and Batman. I'm not as much of an authority on those characters, but I don't have to be. If I'm in a position to make my own DC I obviously have access to people who can inform me. But a diverse DC, both characters and creatives, is a must. For every male led book a female one, for every white character led book a POC one. Comicsgate and incels can suck it.

Obviously a lot of people will hate that their favorite legacy characters won't be in it, but I'm assuming that this is like a Ultimate Marvel deal and the regular DC books still exist for them to read. And since the characters will be allowed to age (slowly) we'll eventually get all the Robins and Titans.
    Last edited by Vakanai; 08-17-2020 at 02:52 AM.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 243 View Post
    link to Boreds timeline pleas?
    https://community.cbr.com/showthread...e-(Update-2020!)

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post

No, the story would take place "now," and stories published in 1940 would take place "20 years ago." In 2100, stories published today would take place "20 years ago," and stories from 1940 would be "40 years ago." Nothing would be tied to a specific year.

I wouldn't start from Year One, because the newest generations have their fans and it's annoying having to wait another twenty years to reach them.
    So my initial launch would be
    Earth-1 JLA
    Earth-2 JSA
    History of DC Universe

The second month or later would add
    Earth-1 Batman Family
    Earth-1 Superman Family
    Earth-1 Wonder Woman Family
    Earth-1 Aquaman Family
    Earth-1 Flash Family
    Earth-1 Green Arrow Family
    Earth-1 Hawk Family
    Earth-1 Shazam Family
    Earth-1 Green Lantern Corps
    Earth-1 Teen Titans
    Earth-1 Suicide Squad
    History of Batman Family
    History of Superman Family
    History of Wonder Woman Family
    History of Aquaman Family
    History of Flash Family
    History of Shazam Family
    History of Green Arrow Family
    History of Green Lantern Corps
    History of Teen Titans
    History of Suicide Squad
    The history series are mini that will stop once they reach the present day

The third month or maybe in a few months after all the characters involved is introduced would add these if the family/group title sell well
    Earth-1 Trinity
    Earth-1 Birds of Prey
    Earth-1 Gotham City Sirens
    Earth-1 Aquaman
    Earth-1 Flash Barry Allen
    Earth-1 Green Lantern Hal Jordan
    Earth-1 White Lantern Kyle Rayner
    Earth-1 Red Lantern Guy Gardner
    Earth-1 Star Sapphire Carol Ferris
    Earth-1 Titans
    Earth-1 Outlaws
    Earth-1 Outsiders
    Earth-1 JLD
    Earth-2 Power Girl
    The characters that get a solo or a smaller group will only appear as a cameo in the family title or the larger group title

Quick question: Do you prefer Donna, Kyle, Starfire, and Roy Harper in Dick's team or Jason's team? Pick one.

Then if you pick Roy for Dick, can I use Mia Dearden for Jason's team?
    Last edited by Restingvoice; 08-17-2020 at 02:43 PM.

Spectacular Member

Out of curiosity, has Atlantis and Themyscira ever had conflicts with each other in the comics?

hate cant reach you here Harpsikord's Avatar

I don't think that I would create one single universe. Everyone has a particular thing that they want to see, different eras for different characters that they would like to write and that they'd like to experience. There are people that want to see the early days of Batman, the Justice League, etc. There are people who want to read stories about the Justice Society of America in the 1940s. There are people who want to read about the original Teen Titans or a version thereof. There are people that wanna their heroes at their peak, etc. As a result of that I'd break things down into sections of books and what have you that would compartmentalize and allow for all of that. There might be some sort of relation between some of the universes, but it would never really be defined one way or the other.

Earth Prime would basically be the same as the Earth that we have now. It would feature all of the heroes basically as they are presently; Batman with his extended family, Superman as a father with a CHILD AGED son, Wonder Woman doing her thing, and other heroes existing besides them. This would obviously be the most storied universe, featuring long histories. This world would have:

Batman
    Superman
    Wonder Woman
    Green Lantern Corps
    Flash
    Aquaman
    Justice League - featuring the big seven.
    Young Justice - an extension of Super Sons, featuring Damian, Jon, Iris West, and the rest of their generation.
    Birds of Prey
    Gotham Knights -

Earth One would basically be as it exists now in it's graphic novels except for the fact that it would be a little more cohesive. The stories told on this Earth would tell the origin stories of our heroes, and other tales of them in their early days before any sort of families and extended stuff like that came about. Here we'd see:

Detective Comics
    Action Comics
    Sensation Comics
    Green Lantern
    Secret Origins of the DC Universe - operates as an episodic vehicle showcasing the origins of other heroes without solo titles.

Earth Two would, well, be set in the 1940s and feature the adventures of the Justice Society of America. This is the universe where Superman debuted in 1939 - as a reference to real time - and naturally features all sorts of wacky period piece shenanigans while also featuring the adventures of the JSA as they're fighting Nazi's and all that jazz. Featuring:

All-Star Comics - operates as an episodic vehicle highlighting characters of the era not featured elsewhere, like Secret Origins.
    The Justice Society of America
    Superboy & The Legion of Superheroes - technically not set in the 1940s, but it'd feature the adventures of that era's Superman as Superboy and the Legion's future would be a super classic retropunk vibe.
    Hawkman & Hawkgirl
    Shazam!

Earth Sixteen is all about Legacy; this is a world that's not unlike the Earth 16 in the cartoons, featuring the adventures of Young Justice. The older heroes and the Justice League exist, but those aren't the stories that are being told here. The stories being told here are the ones that feature the iconic versions of the younger generations of characters. Featuring:

Robin - featuring the solo adventures of Dick Grayson's Robin.
    Batgirl - featuring the solo adventures of Barbara Gordon as Batgirl.
    Supergirl
    Cyborg
    Teen Titans - Probably the NTT lineup of Titans, using that classic group to tell modern stories.

And then leave an assorted amount of room for titles that are either involved in the same universes but are mini's/maxi's/etc or other imprints such as Milestone, Vertigo, etc.
    "We come into this world alone and we leave the same way. The time we spent in between - time spent alive, sharing, learning together... is all that makes life worth living." - Jean Grey

Quote Originally Posted by OptimusPrime114 View Post
    Out of curiosity, has Atlantis and Themyscira ever had conflicts with each other in the comics?
    Injustice, Flashpoint, that's all I know

I have to recheck Amazons Attack
    Last edited by Restingvoice; 08-18-2020 at 10:13 AM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by ERON View Post
    No, the story would take place "now," and stories published in 1940 would take place "20 years ago." In 2100, stories published today would take place "20 years ago," and stories from 1940 would be "40 years ago." Nothing would be tied to a specific year.
    No presidents, landmarks, celebrities or anything?