Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post

So at first there will only be GLC title, focusing on one GL per issue. Then if someone, say Hal, sell higher than others, they'll get the first chance at a solo, and if the fans protest that their fave is not first I can just show the numbers. (Though my personal preference is spread them out to different Corps on League)

if you want details on the Batfam that's gonna take a while since they have way more characters, but the concept is the same.
    Actually DC did that in the early 90s.

John, Hal & Guy all got 4 issue arcs and then it focus on John versus Star Sapphire. Then Hal vs Guy leading to Guy's book. John got his and Hal had the main book.

Excluding Hal going nuts and some editor hating John Stewart-things were going fine.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Actually DC did that in the early 90s.

John, Hal & Guy all got 4 issue arcs and then it focus on John versus Star Sapphire. Then Hal vs Guy leading to Guy's book. John got his and Hal had the main book.

Excluding Hal going nuts and some editor hating John Stewart-things were going fine.
    So it works! Good. Method's proven.

I'm thinking of changing my mind a bit about certain characters. Ideally, I want all of them to start with group first, but since Batman's been number one every month, I can make an exception...

No... You know what... since Batman can be number one every month, he can wait until the second or third month alongside the others and still generate revenue.

Quote Originally Posted by randomideaguy View Post
    I would probably make something SUPER SJW to be honest.
    If it isn't a story arc involving Booster Gold it has failed.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheRay View Post
    Changing the timeline doesn’t seem like it would be that drastic when you can rewrite the whole universe however you want from the beginning.
    forgot to say, the problem is that WWII JSA has kids and those kids have relationships with current-gen people so it's gonna change them too
    if I move them to Earth 2 they can always move to Earth 1 later

My suggestion revolves more around the business side of things.

I would divide DC into three wings:

DC Kids: this will be the books targeted at kinder gardeners, pre-teens and all ages books. This will include comic book adaptations of popular DC animation like DC Superhero High. I would open up slots for popular characters (Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, et al) but also characters like the Zoo Crew who fits the aesthetic and also lesser known characters like Bumblebee who fits into this aesthetic and see if there are Milestone characters who could fit into this as well. Have the kids get acclimated to the child oriented versions of these character then follow them into their older, more mature counterparts in the mainline books. Some of them will directly for kids while others will be more all ages (ala Marvel Adventures). Some of the books will be in continuity but most of them would be standalone. Basically, get the kids hooked and hooked early. I want this line of books to be as diverse as possible.

DC Dark: this will be the 16+, R rated, YA focused line of books. Some of them will be dark and gritty dealing with difficult subject matter while others are more light hearted but still focused on teens and young adults. This will be like the old Vertigo line where the books aren't necessarily meant to be profitable but for experimentation both for up and coming creators and older veterans. This will be truly separate from the DC main line. Digital first and only digital for stuff that won't fly off the book shelves. Make it even more global than the original Vertigo ever was. This will be the place for creator owned work, out-of-continuity tales of established characters like the YA aimed stories of Catwoman, Oracle and Lois Lane they recently released and experimental takes on older properties or just straight up stories (if somebody wants to do a Sea Devils love letter or a Blackhawks one shot unencumbered by continuity, this is the place) and Elseworlds take on popular characters which would help attract more attention and anchor this line up. This wouldn't just be comics but straight up prose stories too. The original Wildstorm characters would have a place here too as well as any comic adaptation or continuation of the darker live action shows. Some of the books will be in their own mini sub verse while most books will be their own thing.

Do audio adaptations and get all the iconic voice actors to do a few books. Get Susan Eisenberg to read a WW novel or a Kevin Conroy to do a Batman Elseworlds or Dana Delany to read a Lois Lane YA book. I would do this for Kids line up too.

DC Main: this will be the main continuity. PG 13. I would take advantage of the multiverse. Earth 1 would have all your favorite heroes in their prime. The JSA existed but in the distant past and some of their exploits will flow into the modern day. Bruce is nearing 40 but not there yet. He's up to Tim Drake and Damian at this point. One year would be equivalent to 4 years in our time so writers would have to plan their runs according.

Earth 2 would be the world where all the heroes are old. Damian and Jon are adults. There will be more of a JSA presence in this world than in the others especially their legacies.

Somewhere in between there will be a book about a group of heroes traveling through the multiverse.

The digital model I'm imagining for this is similar to what they are doing over on Weekly Shonen Jump. I like DCU Online's option for suggesting comics to people who are getting into this through adaptations. Like WSJ, I would include options for the readers being able to view the last 3 chapters of a run for free as well as the first three issues of a particular run for free. Links and ads for adaptations (on whatever platform they end up on) as well as physical collections of books, if you are reading modern day Question, you will get suggestions to read O'Neill's Question digitally as well. Get as many books on the scholastic book fair and get them to as wide an audience as possible.
    Last edited by John Venus; 08-31-2020 at 10:58 AM.

Mine would be a mix of the Tangent Nightwing team, Multiversity's S.o.S., First Wave and Batman: Year One (Miller's).

Lots of pulp style heroes with mortality, often in bandages, with shades of the supernatural in the background.
    No spandex, with most having to make their own costumes by hand with what they had.

My DCU would have to be a side-project like the Ultimate line, though, because Superman and genetically powered heroes really wouldn't fit in it.
    And since Superman sells, he'd have to have a comic.

The main heroes in my DCU:

Batman (Wayne)
    Question (Sage)
    Green Arrow
    Manhunter (Spencer)
    Mr. Terrific (Holt)
    Dr. Midnight (Cross)
    Nightwing
    Huntress (Bertinelli)
    Black Canary (minus the sonic scream)
    Hourman (Tyler; using a formula that safely boosts adrenaline for an hour, but can only be used once every 72 hours)
    Sandman (Dodds)
    Challengers of the Unknown
    Cave Carson
    Sea Devils
    The Blackhawks
    Doc Fate (Nelson; an archaeologist turned adventurer and occultist -think Jonny Quest's dad but instead of 'scientific' research, it's 'occult' research)
    Madame Xanadu
    Nemesis
    Human Target
    Bronze Tiger
    Phantom Lady (Knight)
    Wildcat (Montez)
    Onyx
    Zatanna (but magic works differently here, where results of a spell may take anywhere from three days to a month or longer to appear, and most magic comes across more as coincidental occurrences -often only the magic-user knows if something is the result of a spell they cast, and sometimes they may not even see the result)

So... more pulp-infused, no '60s Atomic Age-inspired genetic powers.
    Magic exists, but those that practice it aren't 'pew pew' mages, except maybe in astral form.
    Psionics exist, but it's subtle ESP stuff, nothing too showy.
    There are strong and fast people, but they're at the maximum possible real-life human levels. Even Hourman wouldn't reach beyond that limit with his pills.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Mighty Member

If I was given unlimited power to shape the DC Universe and release it down to 30 titles I would....

1. Batman
    2. Detective Comics
    3. Batgirl (Cassandra Cain)
    4. The Question (Vic Sage) - Have characters like Lady Shiva, Bronze Tiger & Richard the Dragon make frequent appearances
    5 Nightwing
    6. Red Hood
    7. The Huntress
    8. Birds of Prey (Black Canary, Huntress, Vixen & Oracle & sometimes Power Girl)
    9. Green Arrow

10.. Superman
    11. Action Comics
    12. Steel (Jeremy Irons)
    13. Legion of Super Heroes (Classic line up)

14. JLA. (Brad Meltzer line up with Ollie instead of Roy)
    15. JSA
    16. JLD (Zatanna in the lead, I'd bring in Doctor Occult, The Demon, & maybe Deadman, and drop the monkey and Manbat
    17. Titans (Combination of the original and Wolfman team (Dick, Donna, Cyborg, Beast Boy, Wally, Roy, Starfire, Bumblebee & occasionally Raven & Hawk & Dove)
    18. JSA
    19. The Outsiders (Classic team, with pumping up the diversity as much as possible)
    20. Young Justice or Titans (Don't really care, but younger fans love the young heroes so has to go in)

21. Wonder Woman
    22. Flash (Barry Allen with Wally in the Titans title)
    23. Green Lantern (Hal Jordan)
    24. Green Lantern (John & Guy)
    25. Black Lightning

26. John Constantine (Vertigo)
    27. Swamp Thing (Vertigo)

28/29/30 - The last three titles could include: Hawkman, Aquaman, Blue Beetle (Jamie Reyes) , Booster Gold/Blue Beetle (Ted Kord), or Captain Marvel, Mister Miracle or the Atom.

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    forgot to say, the problem is that WWII JSA has kids and those kids have relationships with current-gen people so it's gonna change them too
    if I move them to Earth 2 they can always move to Earth 1 later
    But if you can write the timeline you don't have to worry about that.