Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Wonder Woman #761 Spoilers

I thought it was ok until the last page reveal. Another secret relative? What's next? Steve's evil illegitimate son, Etta's evil twin sister? Also Diana's interactions with Lord seem over the top if the neck snap is no longer in continuity. The art is meh.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Psy-lock View Post
    I thought it was ok until the last page reveal. Another secret relative? What's next? Steve's evil illegitimate son, Etta's evil twin sister? Also Diana's interactions with Lord seem over the top if the neck snap is no longer in continuity. The art is meh.

I agree with all of this. The last page reveal is kind of irritating. Liar Liar would have been a better nemesis for Donna Troy or Cassie Sandsmark. The main issue I had with the art was Diana's faces. Her face was too slim and her eyes were too big in most panels. I didn't like the depictions of Cheetah much either. They weren't dynamic enough and the black portions of her fur didn't stand out enough. This run is mediocre at best especially with Janin having moved on.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Honestly, with the shift in art, I've lost almost complete interest in this run so far. It's not bad, just... not something that appeals to me. I don't like the editorial mandate of using Maxwell Lord when he just doesn't mesh with the rest of the Wonderverse.

I need more drama and thrills and interesting plots and characterization than this.

Incredible Member

I've been a big fan of this run so far. However, for me, this was the first big miss. I had difficulty actually getting through this one. It wasn't the art for me; although that was definitely a step down. For me, Tamaki spent too much time in Diana's head narrating her thoughts. I know that's important in this medium, but for this particular issue it made Diana feel less active and less certain. She didn't seem like a true participant in the story, which is a major letdown for me.

I know I'm going to sound a like a broken record, but I truly hate Etta's design. In one panel, it honestly looked like she had three necks. Why can't they give the character a revamp? I seriosly doubt anyone is emotionally connected enough to this current design to care if it's overhauled.

Speaking of Etta, while I'm happy to see Tamaki using her. I still stand by assertion that only Fontana has actually tried to make the two seem like genuine friends. Etta talked to Diana like a longtime patient who she is somewhat comfortable and not like a decade long bestfriend. I think another reason this issue seemed more disappointing to me is that Tamaki was doing a great job making Diana feel human, but Diana's interaction with Etta went back to that cold and detached strange visitor from a strange land archetype that writers sometimes use with Diana. Diana just felt strangely distant and detached this issue in a way that did not feel fulfilling.

As for Max Lord, I'm on record as loving him as a Wonder Woman rogue and would like to see him as one of her top 4 rogues. With that being said, this issue it felt unearned. I thought the past few issues they had amazing chemistry, but this issue he felt shoehorned in. Again, I think it was because Diana didn't feel genuinely there. I hope this was just a one-off bad issue for Tamaki who I've genuinely enjoyed. This seemed like a "set-up" issue, which I generally do not like. I'm still excited for the next issue even though the idea of Liar Liar being Max's daughter is something I hope is a...well...lie.

Guess I'll kind of take the opposite opinion on the art in that I kind of prefer it to the Janin issues, not saying it's better but just more to my tastes I guess. I thought this issue was mostly O.K., about on par with the rest of the first two issues. Liar, Liar being tied to Max wasn't surprising so I guess I don't really have a problem with being a previously unmentioned daughter.

How did the Nick Fury-lookalike retiree fight his way through an entire army base to activate a nuclear missile?

Quote Originally Posted by PopQuezy View Post
    I've been a big fan of this run so far. However, for me, this was the first big miss. I had difficulty actually getting through this one. It wasn't the art for me; although that was definitely a step down. For me, Tamaki spent too much time in Diana's head narrating her thoughts. I know that's important in this medium, but for this particular issue it made Diana feel less active and less certain. She didn't seem like a true participant in the story, which is a major letdown for me.

I know I'm going to sound a like a broken record, but I truly hate Etta's design. In one panel, it honestly looked like she had three necks. Why can't they give the character a revamp? I seriosly doubt anyone is emotionally connected enough to this current design to care if it's overhauled.

Speaking of Etta, while I'm happy to see Tamaki using her. I still stand by assertion that only Fontana has actually tried to make the two seem like genuine friends. Etta talked to Diana like a longtime patient who she is somewhat comfortable and not like a decade long bestfriend. I think another reason this issue seemed more disappointing to me is that Tamaki was doing a great job making Diana feel human, but Diana's interaction with Etta went back to that cold and detached strange visitor from a strange land archetype that writers sometimes use with Diana. Diana just felt strangely distant and detached this issue in a way that did not feel fulfilling.

As for Max Lord, I'm on record as loving him as a Wonder Woman rogue and would like to see him as one of her top 4 rogues. With that being said, this issue it felt unearned. I thought the past few issues they had amazing chemistry, but this issue he felt shoehorned in. Again, I think it was because Diana didn't feel genuinely there. I hope this was just a one-off bad issue for Tamaki who I've genuinely enjoyed. This seemed like a "set-up" issue, which I generally do not like. I'm still excited for the next issue even though the idea of Liar Liar being Max's daughter is something I hope is a...well...lie.
    I didn't get the sense of that from this issue but yeah, this has been an annoying characterization of Diana that's really picked up steam with some writers the past two decades.

Still only crumbs...... BiteTheBullet's Avatar

so......does she actually fly in this issue?

Quote Originally Posted by BiteTheBullet View Post
    so......does she actually fly in this issue?
    She jumps out of a plane to go after a rogue nuke and the posturing looks like a general flying pose, so yeah probably unless it's "falling with style".

Meh. The previous issue was better for many reasons. Also, the twist at the end was nice though.
    "I swear to god, if I get banned..."

I feel like this whole run is just filler. Like nothing noteworthy is really going to take place. You know that feeling when your watching a tv show and the story is moving along, pacing is good then BAM... filler episode. That's what this feels like.
    Zaldrīzes Buzdari Iksos Daor

Wow, I actually came back to the forums just to vent about this book. It's been, like, 6 months. I gave Tamaki a shot, I really did. But this whole thing has just been empty. There's nothing interesting here to keep me reading and the art has taken a huge hit—what a serious downgrade. Diana's face is so squished up, and in the scene where she talks to Lord she looks like she's got a huge crush on him lmfao.

When I read the first issue, I liked that they brought Maxwell Lord into the story. Yeah, it's totally because of the movie, but I assumed Tamaki and co. were going to do something interesting with him since he has a bit of a history of going after Wonder Woman. I'm not saying he's her biggest villain, but they can easily make him that. But you need a better writer for that...

The reveal at the end is so obvious, even before they spoiled it in the solicitation, I think most people knew the neighbor was evil. What a cliche. And she's Lord's daughter? I didn't know he had one. If he didn't until now... Hmmm... Telepathic villain? His rivalry with a woman hero? Mysterious child of villain? I can't help but think Tamaki read Jessica Jones: Purple Daughter and decided to mimic that. Hilariously enough, that would've been really cool if they wanted to make Maxwell Lord be tied much more intimately to Diana and the Wonder-verse; just like how Kilgrave is tied intimately to Jessica Jones and her life, but the writing here is kinda boring and empty. Comparing this to Purple Daughter and this is such a weak story. Purple Daughter was great. Really intimate and personal that follows Jessica doing detective work on her most hated villain.

I can't help but think they could have begun making Lord a powerful figure in Diana's mythos like Kilgrave. I think they could have done something really good here with Diana and Lord, but this is a flop. I wanna say this is because editorial plans on restarting everything after Death Metal so they're okay with mediocre, empty stories like this, but I honestly think Diana's solo book has been like this for about a year—weak.
    Last edited by KangMiRae; 08-28-2020 at 08:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by masterwitcher88 View Post
    I feel like this whole run is just filler. Like nothing noteworthy is really going to take place. You know that feeling when your watching a tv show and the story is moving along, pacing is good then BAM... filler episode. That's what this feels like.
    Yeah, how I've felt about this and the Orlando run honestly (even though I mostly enjoyed what he did there). Book's had a real "spinning it's wheels" feel for a while.

Everyone, hear me out with this theory. What if Emma isn't Max's daughter but, Ares's daughter? I just find the imagery of Max wearing Ares's helmet to be a bit suspect. This new villain is a princess of lies and Ares was known as "the deceiver". And the line about her greatest enemy, that would be Ares. Max being involved seems like a easy answer just dangling right in front of you.

Maybe I'm over thinking it, maybe I want to hope that Tamaki has put in a bit more effort than this into the story, or maybe I'm wrong.
    Zaldrīzes Buzdari Iksos Daor

Quote Originally Posted by masterwitcher88 View Post
    Everyone, hear me out with this theory. What if Emma isn't Max's daughter but, Ares's daughter? I just find the imagery of Max wearing Ares's helmet to be a bit suspect. This new villain is a princess of lies and Ares was known as "the deceiver". And the line about her greatest enemy, that would be Ares. Max being involved seems like a easy answer just dangling right in front of you.

Maybe I'm over thinking it, maybe I want to hope that Tamaki has put in a bit more effort than this into the story, or maybe I'm wrong.
    Maybe, last time Ares was seen was one of the stories from the anniversary issue that Tamaki wrote. Though I think it's just a visual thing to indicate "enemy" and "don't trust".

Though Max in the Ares helmet made me think of like a twelve year old wearing an adult's clothes.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Yeah, how I've felt about this and the Orlando run honestly (even though I mostly enjoyed what he did there). Book's had a real "spinning it's wheels" feel for a while.
    Orlando had Donna Troy, Artemis, Nubia, a new Amazon Embassy, a new Amazon tribe, new Amazon technology, revamped Wonder villains and Wonder world building. Any wheels were on the new invisible jet and the only thing spinning was Wonder Woman getting into her costume. It was glorious!