Default Diana's Top 10 Most Popular Supporting Cast

Rules are the Same as with her top 10 rogues thread:

Not your personal favorites.

Not her supporting cast with the most untapped potential.

Not other superheroes from outside the Wonderverse.

Not supporting cast that are not specific to the Wonderverse.

Not her writers or her publisher or her fans or anyone IRL.

Just looking to find a consensus as to who are the top 10 most popular Wonderverse supporting cast?

We're looking for ... well, anything really. Wonder Woman's supporting cast is generally in even worse shape than her rogues gallery.

But, sure: exposure within the comix, equally weighted with usage rate in those uncommon times Wonder Woman has ventured beyond the printed page (cartoons, movies, tv, video games, etc), and awareness beyond the hardcore WW fanbase.

My list:

1. Hippolyta
    2. Steve Trevor
    3. Donna Troy
    4. Cassie Sandsmark
    5. Artemis
    6. Nubia
    7. Etta Candy
    8. Julia Kapatelis
    9. Zeus
    10. Achilles Warkiller

Yours?

Hmm,

1. Steve Trevor
    2. Hippolyta
    3. Etta Candy
    4. Artemis
    5. Cassie
    6. Donna
    7. Philipus
    8. The Kapatelis Women
    9. Ferdinand
    10. Nubia

1. Steve Trevor - He and Hippolyta are nearly neck-and-neck, but his role was such a breakout in the 2017 film that I can't imagine him not being #1. He was so beloved and popular that the sequel is all about him coming back to life.

2. Queen Hippolyta - I think she only loses to Steve because Wonder Woman's DCEU storyline is based around her lover and not her mother. But really, they've been in close to the same amount of material.

3. Etta Candy - I place her above Donna and Cassie because she was in the 2017 film. Even if her role was sort of small, the trailers always had emphasis on her character interactions with Diana.

4. Donna Troy

5. Cassandra Sandsmark

6. Artemis

7. Antiope

8. The Oddfellows - I lumped them all together, but they were in the 2017 film which was the most widely-accessed Wonder Woman material, so they're pretty prominent regardless of lack of use in the comics. I'm surprised they haven't really shown up post-Steve Trevor's special.

9. Mala

10. Nubia

1) Steve Trevor - he mostly sucks in the comics but is great in movies and cartoons
    2) Hippolyta- the most consistently used WW character in the comics and has some strong portrayals in outside media as well
    3) Donna - even though she didn't appear much outside of the comics, Teen Titans is still a popular franchise and Donna is one of its most popular characters
    4) Cassie - same as Donna, doesn't have much exposure but is part of a popular franchise
    5) Etta Candy - she's well known, but I don't think she's particularly popular outside of the Golden Age and some Elseworlds
    6) Artemis - she has pretty good exposure thanks to the Post Crisis WW run, the current Outlaws title and 2009 animated movie
    7) Nubia - the most popular WOC among the Amazons (Philippus is also a good contender but I think Nubia is more iconic)
    8) Vanessa - a major character in Perez' run and Bloodlines
    9) Julia - same as the above
    10) Ferdinand - Rucka and Bloodlines

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by daBronzeBomma View Post
    Rules are the Same as with her top 10 rogues thread:

Not your personal favorites.

Not her supporting cast with the most untapped potential.

Not other superheroes from outside the Wonderverse.

Not supporting cast that are not specific to the Wonderverse.

Not her writers or her publisher or her fans or anyone IRL.

Just looking to find a consensus as to who are the top 10 most popular Wonderverse supporting cast?

We're looking for ... well, anything really. Wonder Woman's supporting cast is generally in even worse shape than her rogues gallery.

But, sure: exposure within the comix, equally weighted with usage rate in those uncommon times Wonder Woman has ventured beyond the printed page (cartoons, movies, tv, video games, etc), and awareness beyond the hardcore WW fanbase.

My list:

1. Hippolyta
    2. Steve Trevor
    3. Donna Troy
    4. Cassie Sandsmark
    5. Artemis
    6. Nubia
    7. Etta Candy
    8. Julia Kapatelis
    9. Zeus
    10. Achilles Warkiller

Yours?

I have to ask, if characters that are not specific to the Wonderverse aren't allowed, why are public domain characters allowed when they are definitely not specific to the Wonderverse as any comic company can use them?

Anyways, here's my list:

1. Steve Trevor
    2. Donna Troy
    3. Etta Candy
    4. Cassie Sandsmark
    5. Vanessa Kapatelis
    6. Ferndinand
    7. The Oddfellows
    8. General Darnell
    9. Fury I
    10. Nemesis(Tom Tresser)
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

1. Steve
    2.Hippoltya
    3.Etta Candy
    4.Holliday Girls
    5.Nubia
    6.Donna
    7.Cassie
    8.Kaptaleis
    9.Mala
    10.Hippoltya

Hippolyta
    Ferdinand
    Cassie Sandsmark
    Donna Troy
    Steve Trevor
    Tom Tressor
    Etta Candy
    Artemis
    Nubia
    Ed Indelicato

Incredible Member

1. Steve Trevor
    2. Etta Candy
    3. Hippolyte
    All three of these have existed in all eras of the comic, the TV series, and the movie, and to varying degrees in animation. Also toys.

4. Cassie Sandsmark - in multiple titles and in animation, and toys.

5. Donna Troy - in multiple titles, the Titans TV show, and toys.

6. Athena - one of the original creators of the Amazons, she's been relevant in most runs, with her prominence especially felt in the Perez & Rucka runs.

7. Aphrodite - another of the original creators of the Amazons, though her role diminished somewhat post-COIE.

8. Nubia - the idea that just won't die. While she's never been a fleshed out character, since her creation in the bronze age, she keeps popping up, she had a Mego doll, and was rumored for the TV show. There's something in the idea that just draws folks, although I wish someone would really do something with her.

9. Vanessa Kapetalis - created by Perez, touched on by almost every long term writer in at least one issue since, and part of the Bloodlines movie. Unlike Nubia, who as the focus of puff media pieces will sometimes have name recognition in the general public, I don't think non-comics people know who Vanessa is, but her presence since creation has been reasonably enduring in the comics

10. Artemis - a newer character than all on my list except Cassie, Artemis has been in multiple titles, multiple animated films, and has multiple toy incarnations, and is recognized as having the longest, most glorious red ponytail in any medium.

Mighty Member

Cassie, Artemis and Donna...having taken over the Wonder Woman Title..

1. Steve Trevor
    2. Etta Candy
    3. Hippolyta
    4. Donna Troy
    5. Cassie Sandsmark
    6. Julia Kapatelis
    7. Vanessa Kapatelis
    8. Helena Sandsmark
    9. Ferdinand
    10. Artemis

Bonus:
    11. Nu’Bia
    12. Myndi Mayer
    13. Achilles Warkiller
    14. Trevor Barnes
    15. Atlantiades

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    1. Steve
    2.Hippoltya
    3.Etta Candy
    4.Holliday Girls
    5.Nubia
    6.Donna
    7.Cassie
    8.Kaptaleis
    9.Mala
    10.Hippoltya
    My enlist features who I think have been the most popular WW supporting characters, of all time. I think the importance and popularity of Paula, Gen. Philipis and Cassie, individually, are the only points, on which Mizuno and I disagree.

1. Queen Hippoltya
    2. Col. Steve Trevor
    3. Etta Candy
    4. Donna troy
    5. Paula (the Amazon, Br. Age)*
    6. Artemis
    7. General Philipis
    8. Prof. Kapatelis
    9. Mala
    10. Holliday Girls

*In the Bronze Age, the Paula of Earth One was an Amazon scientist, immortal and naturally born, ..and not a reformed Nazi.

For my money, Queen Hippolyta is the most popular WW supporting character of all time...of all ages. Through the Golden, Silver and Bronze Ages, Queen Hippolyta (or 'te) functioned as Wonder Woman's answer to Alfred the Butler. A sort of sci-fi fairy godmother, she was always waiting in the ether (Bermuda Triangle) to aid Diana, with secret knowledge, timely personal advice or access to the Amazon's futuristic science or technology. As with Alfred and Robin in the Batman comic, the Queen had a narrative function that worked, in WW stories...made them solidly better, than anything we're reading, today.

Paradise Island used to be a magic shoe box that I couldn't wait for writers to crack open! I delighted in Diana's frequent visits to the Island, typically every two or three issues, ..in her flying Coke-bottle jet! It wasn't until the post-Crisis years, that writers, center-positioning the Island, Circe and other myth-inspired elements, in almost every other story, ..soured my affection for all of them. In spite of this chronic, over-use of Paradise in stories, it is clear to me that, next to the Avenging Amazon, ..the Queen continues the comic's most popular figure.
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 09-13-2020 at 08:32 PM.
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!