Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    Kind of down to the OP to decide what they are considering "skill" because it's a very broad concept.

Like... who is more skillful? Zoro from One Piece who can shoot beams with his swords, grow extra limbs and is strong enough to benchpress a house, through dint of training hard, or is it Makie Otono-Tachibana from Blade of the Immortal who is a "normal human," albeit impossibly fast and skillful by the standards of the real world and defeated her adult swordmaster brother in combat when he was 18 and she was 7 and she got there through a combination of training and being "born a prodigy,"

Zoro could crush Makie without thinking about it but Makie's skill is presented as more freakishly high in the context of her setting. Zoro is an incredible swordsman but he's still not the toppingest top tier in his world.

So... yeah, "skill" not only translates differently across different settings but also represents different things in said settings.
    Well going by the way skill comparisons usually equalize all stats and disallow everything that could be considered magic, am i relative sure that to me unknown character would wipe the ground with Zoro in a pure skill fight. But i agree that skill could mean a lot of things.

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rightoya View Post
    Well going by the way skill comparisons usually equalize all stats and disallow everything that could be considered magic, am i relative sure that to me unknown character would wipe the ground with Zoro in a pure skill fight. But i agree that skill could mean a lot of things.
    I feel like you largely missed my point.

Zoro, in the context of his world, has no special powers per say. He just trained at sword good enough until he could cut through rock, steel, trains, buildings, mountains and superdurable martial artists. His ability to cut good is specifically a factor of his skill.

Also his ability to shoot beams.

It's also stuff Makie could never hope to replicate, regardless of her "skill level," because her universe runs on a flatly different logic as to what "skill" entails.

By saying, "disallow stuff I arbitrarily decide is magic," is to deliberately hamstring the debate in favour of characters with more realistic settings, I think.

Heck, what about Juuzou Shishimi from UQ Holder? He trained at doing sword good for 800 years and now can cut through literally anything up to and including concepts, the power of god, magic, psychic power and pretty much any physical object you'd care to mention, all by dint of training and refining his skills for a long time.

Is he the most skilful? Would your proposed skill battle with arbitrary limitations take away his ability to cut good and thereby effect his skill?

My point is that trying to establish a comparative benchmark of skill is kind of meaningless across wildly different fictional settings.
    Last edited by Nik Hasta; 08-14-2020 at 04:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    I feel like you largely missed my point.

Zoro, in the context of his world, has no special powers per say. He just trained at sword good enough until he could cut through rock, steel, trains, buildings, mountains and superdurable martial artists. His ability to cut good is specifically a factor of his skill.

Also his ability to shoot beams.

It's also stuff Makie could never hope to replicate, regardless of her "skill level," because her universe runs on a flatly different logic as to what "skill" entails.

By saying, "disallow stuff I arbitrarily decide is magic," is to deliberately hamstring the debate in favour of characters with more realistic settings, I think.

Heck, what about Juuzou Shishimi from UQ Holder? He trained at doing sword good for 800 years and now can cut through literally anything up to and including concepts, the power of god, magic, psychic power and pretty much any physical object you'd care to mention, all by dint of training and refining his skills for a long time.

Is he the most skilful? Would your proposed skill battle with arbitrary limitations take away his ability to cut good and thereby effect his skill?

My point is that trying to establish a comparative benchmark of skill is kind of meaningless across wildly different fictional settings.
    Same with Koujirou Sasaki from Fate/Stay Night. The guy is able to slice into three separate dimensions with three sword strokes being executed-simultaneously-, and it is explicitly stated that he doesn't utilize magic to accomplish this feat. It was from him swinging a sword all day, every day to cut down swallows.
    Ichigo: What even *are* you?!

Kenpachi: Some say my mother was a train. Some say that I'm a rejected Godzilla monster too strong for the series canon. But everyone says: I'M THE KEEEEENPACHIIIIII!!!!

Rumbles Limbo Champion big_adventure's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Len Ikari145 View Post
    Same with Koujirou Sasaki from Fate/Stay Night. The guy is able to slice into three separate dimensions with three sword strokes being executed-simultaneously-, and it is explicitly stated that he doesn't utilize magic to accomplish this feat. It was from him swinging a sword all day, every day to cut down swallows.
    Were they African or European swallows?
    "But... But I want to be a big karate cyborg... ;_;" - Nik Hasta
    "Get off my lawn! ...on this forum, that just makes people think of Cyclops." - Sharpandpointies
    "...makes me think the Night King just says "Screw the rules, I have magic money" when it comes to physics." -Captain Morgan

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Len Ikari145 View Post
    Then there's Okita Souji from Fate: Grand Order who does basically the same thing as Sasaki, except instead of three different strokes she performs the same stroke three times simultaneously.

The only way I know to throw multiple strikes at once is cheat and bring multiple buddies to the duel.

Which, admittedly, is a pretty good way to win a fight.

Quote Originally Posted by big_adventure View Post
    Were they African or European swallows?
    Excellent quote. Asian I imagine.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Marvel-Studios Rep View Post
    Lie would you considere them more skilled than Batman? Daredevil? Ironfist? Karate Kid?
    As others have said In DBZ skill translates into their powers but from my understanding it’s them cultivating their chi for various Abilities, I’d say they’re pretty skilled as through out Dragon Ball Z, and Dragon Ball Super they both go through Various training methods to cultivate their speed, training, energy powers etc.

Like training with weighted clothing, sparring, fighting in chambers with high gravity, etc

I would say Karate Kid is more skilled than them. He is but human, but due to plot power of Uber karate skills, can hang with Superman type beings.