Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Default Crom! All things Conan appreciation 2020

Christopher Priest on Conan is as good a start as any.
    http://digitalpriest.com/legacy/comics/conan.html

My early memory of Conan is a terrible movie I've watched as a child and through Dark Horse I discovered the Cimmerian's rich history. There's even a movie starring Renee Zellweger and Vince D'Onofrio about Robert E.Howard if you are into biopics and while Conan has returned to comics I favour the pulp tales. There's even a soft spot for the Schwarzenegger movie theese days for its slow pacing, quiet storytelling and great score.

More Conan adaptions are being published by Ablaze right now as well.
    Last edited by batnbreakfast; 07-09-2020 at 07:14 AM.

Spectacular Member Kuro no Shinigami's Avatar

Only Arnold Schwarzenegger did portray Conan so right.

Astonishing Member

I think the first Conan from 1981 is one of the best fantasy movies out there.

Arnold IS Conan. He lives and breathes the role. The score is great and the narrator gives me chills. The movie really feels that its made for real men, and not for teenager or whatever some movies are made for today. The fights were beautifully choreographed, no wire action, no tricks and they seemed like they could happen and not out of an action movie.

Ah, great movie. The first one, everything else that came afterwards is crap.

I’m more of a Mamoa guy (and I’ve been a Conan fan since before the 1981 movie).
    The opening scenes w. Conan Finagling his way onto the warrior trials then taking on the Picts after all the older kids had cut and run, coming back w. severed heads in tow while everyone watched and spitting the still intact egg out of his mouth at his father’s feet really kicked ass.
    Mamoa himself really captured the Barry Windsor Smith version of Conan. He had that grim sense of humor and was ruthless af. The fight scenes were super energetic and showed Conan’s strength skill and agility. Damn, now I wanna watch the movie again today!

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post
    I’m more of a Mamoa guy (and I’ve been a Conan fan since before the 1981 movie).
    The opening scenes w. Conan Finagling his way onto the warrior trials then taking on the Picts after all the older kids had cut and run, coming back w. severed heads in tow while everyone watched and spitting the still intact egg out of his mouth at his father’s feet really kicked ass.
    Mamoa himself really captured the Barry Windsor Smith version of Conan. He had that grim sense of humor and was ruthless af. The fight scenes were super energetic and showed Conan’s strength skill and agility. Damn, now I wanna watch the movie again today!
    I've avoided all Conan films since the Schwarzenegger because I thought the 1981 film the definitive version (the less said about its sequel, the better). However, you've got me thinking I should give the Mamoa film a shot.

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    I've avoided all Conan films since the Schwarzenegger because I thought the 1981 film the definitive version (the less said about its sequel, the better). However, you've got me thinking I should give the Mamoa film a shot.
    Hope you do, and hope you like.
    If nothing else you gotta PM me and tell me if you at least enjoyed that opening scene.

Best thing about The Destroyer was Tracey Walter as Malak. He’s an underrated supporting player from back in the day.
    -cough- Bob the Goon -cough-

This superbug has been a wet blanket for this Conan fan... I was totally stoked for Dark Agnes and the regular Conan run starting up again (up to #14 I believe). I'll be glad when the presses get back to full capacity again. I'm super stoked Marvel is taking Conan seriously and pushing product!

Savage Sword was awesome - I collected the whole run as it released. Belit had a weird identity crisis, I don't think they knew what they wanted to do with it. Valeria seemed to do the female protagonist a little better. I need to collect back issues for the regular Conan run - I was too busy with Savage Sword to collect both runs at the time.

I wish them luck on Serpent War, 2099, and the Avengers group - I'm totally not into plopping Conan into the Marvel universe but if it makes some people happy that's outstanding. Just don't forget the regular Conan fans in the process!

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

There might be a Conan show on Amazon in the future according to Fatman Beyond's Marc Bernardin. Marc reached out to them and let them know he's interested in writing for the show if gets real. He's a huge fan since reading the REH material as a teen. Talk starts 01:32:20
    Last edited by batnbreakfast; 08-25-2020 at 12:11 AM.