Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Gotham Knights

Thoughts:

- It's kind of interesting that they're going for a game based around the Batfamily instead of a game that's headlined by Batman. I was expecting you could switch between Batman and the family but they're putting emphasis on the family instead. Somewhat risky, but as a Batfamily fan I'm happy to see them in the spotlight. I'm not convinced we won't have a playable Batman at some point in the game though.

- That Batcycle sequence looked amazing.

- The voice acting was a little rough. It didn't feel as polished or as noticeable compared to past Batman games.

- No free flow combat? That might be a dealbreaker for some people.

- I've seen a lot of worries about the game becoming a GaaS model with more RPG elements than the Arkham games. I'm not ruling it out because the gameplay still looks fun but I'm somewhat apprehensive myself. It already looks like gear/costumes will be customizable.

BANNED

Sucks for Superman fans and Wonder Woman fans though.

You can imagine their outrage that WB is throwing money for a Batman Sidekicks AAA game before another roll with Superman and a first roll with Wonder Woman.

Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post

You can imagine their outrage that WB is throwing money for a Batman Sidekicks AAA game before another roll with Superman and a first roll with Wonder Woman.
    I am hopeful that regardless how well it does that Marvel's Avengers will get the conversation for either Rocksteady or Warner Montreal on a Justice League game sooner rather than later.

Mighty Member

The gameplay teases we've seen seem interesting. Barbara has has some kind of flare like gadget, and looks to have special batarang moves. Tim can teleport, and looks to be able to become invisible.

So for playstyle I'm guessing we're looking at Babs as the jack of all trades Bat, Dick for speed and fluidity, Tim for stealth and tech, and Jason for brute force/tank.

WB Montreal is kind of hitting my sweet spot. The Robins/Batgirl a the stars, Tim and Jason both playable and all the characters looking to have personality in their movesets. I hope the final game doesn't disappoint. There is going to be a lot of pressure on this, between the success of the Arkham series and not having Batman himself as the focus. But I'm cautiously optimistic. I've always wanted to spend more time as these characters anyway (These four are my favorite Bat characters, above and beyond Batman himself).

And WB better not fill it full of microtransactions and pay-to-win monetization, though they probably will. UGH! There are just too many unknowns right now. I'd rather see them monetize via something like DLC characters, or extra villain story segments than MT's. You could probably get some cool playstyle variation with Batwing, for example. Or Azrael, especially if they include his Knightfall Batman look. Maybe do something like Cass Cain as a pure combat class, who isn't good at the stealth but has more fighting moves.

Just please don't suck.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Wonder Woman fans are going a second movie. They good.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    Wonder Woman fans are going a second movie. They good.
    They are getting a second movie after the first succeeded beyond expectations and which spent decades in development hell. Now there's an expectation for Diana to become an empire with her own cartoons, games, the works.

I think there have been rumors about a Wonder Woman game.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think there have been rumors about a Wonder Woman game.
    I would love to see games for Superman and Wonder Woman! They could adapt some suitable fighting mechanics and sword and shield combos to work in a WW game, and craft a fun storyline with Circe, Ares, Cheetah, Giganta and more.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Metaltron View Post
    https://www.ign.com/articles/batman-...cters-detailed

Big details here! Most important are that you only can have two heroes at once but it is solo as well as co-op, and that it's Tim Drake as Robin, not Damian Wayne.
    I read the info here. Well then, Babs coming back into action after being Oracle throws a monkey wrench into things. Her being Batgirl here is why I didn't think this was Arkham. This could very well be post Arkham Knight.

Jim wasn't dead at the end of Arkham Knight. It's not set in the Arkham continuity.

Considering the strength of the Batman brand, I don't think anyone should be surprised. And Batman's not even the main character, which is a risk in and of itself.
    They are getting a second movie after the first succeeded beyond expectations and which spent decades in development hell. Now there's an expectation for Diana to become an empire with her own cartoons, games, the works.
    I don't think that treatment is as practical now as it may have been a few years ago.

BANNED

I read the info here. Well then, Babs coming back into action after being Oracle throws a monkey wrench into things. Her being Batgirl here is why I didn't think this was Arkham. This could very well be post Arkham Knight.
    WB Montreal have outright confirmed that the game is not canon with the Arkham Games.
    https://comicbook.com/gaming/news/ps...n-august-2020/

The story doesn't make sense with what's established in AK. Batman had his identity exposed and willingly blew up his mansion whereas the trailer makes it that someone else destroyed the mansion with him inside. Alfred is likewise alive and is Mission Control when he went down with Bruce and so on and so forth.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Considering the strength of the Batman brand, I don't think anyone should be surprised. And Batman's not even the main character, which is a risk in and of itself.
    That's the rub. Risk for DC in terms of making a superhero game without Batman still means, "Batman sidekicks first, others later, probably never". Also a game centered on DC villains like rocksteady's Suicide Squad (where Batman rogues will likely feature a great deal).
    Last edited by Revolutionary_Jack; 08-22-2020 at 03:45 PM.

Except the way they describe Batman's game sounds nothing like the way he apparently died in AK and you know they would be referring to it if it was so. I think here it sounds like Babs was Oracle instead of Batgirl and took a more active role when her dad died (which is another thing which I think confirms this to be outside Arkham continuity). Alfred being active is also a thing since it seems like he went dark after AK too. Plus we have different voice actors too.

That's the rub. Risk for DC in terms of making a superhero game without Batman still means, "Batman sidekicks first, others later, probably never". Also a game centered on DC villains like rocksteady's Suicide Squad (where Batman rogues will likely feature a great deal).
    They could have other games in production. Sidekicks usually never get this kind of promotion so I'd still say that's major in and of itself.

Thanks for the correction guys.

Yes! This looks so good! I love the feeling of waking up on a Sunday morning and seeing Dick, this should be so much fun