Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Default John Ridley working on new Batman mini

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/he...comics-1307413

Yes, there will be more Batman — John Ridley, who won an Oscar for penning 12 Years a Slave, is writing a Batman mini-series (“It will have a huge impact on the rest of the line,” Lee says) —

Is DC still publishing comics?

Absolutely. One hundred percent. It is still the cornerstone of everything that we do. The need for storytelling, updating the mythology, is vital to what we do. The organization leans on us to share and establish the meaningful elements of the content that they need to use and incorporate for all their adaptations. When we think about reaching global audiences, and we see comics as helping drive that awareness and that international brand, it’s very much part of our future.

That said, we will be reducing the size of the slate. But it’s about looking at everything and looking at the bottom 20 percent, 25 percent of the line that wasn’t breaking even or was losing money. It’s about more punch for the pound, so to speak, and increasing the margins of the books that we are doing. It was about aligning the books to the franchise brand content we’ve developed and making sure that every book we put out, we put out for a reason.
    That was already expected since before the layoffs news broke out.

I do wonder about Batgirl, tho.
    “Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain but it takes character and self-control to be understanding and forgiving.”
    – Dale Carnegie

Astonishing Member

Probably what remains of 5G, with Luke Fox Batman.
    Educational town, Rolemodel city and Moralofthestory land are the places where good comics go to die.

DC writers and editors looked up and shouted "Save us!"
    And Alan Moore looked down and whispered "No."

I'm kinda surprised Snyder didn't want Superman to watch Lois and Bruce conceive their love child. All the while singing the "Na na na na na na Batman!" theme song - Robotman, 03/06/2021

Would have been great to see what C. Priest got allowed to do if he were asked or a pitch accepted.

Quote Originally Posted by Myskin View Post
    Probably what remains of 5G, with Luke Fox Batman.
    I truly hope not.

I like John Ridley and if the rumors of this being 5G remains are true I’m genuinely interested to check it out.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

if this is Luke Fox as Batman then I'm 1000% here for it. it took me a minute to come around to it but Luke as Batman was the number 1 thing I was looking forward to from the whole 5G thing.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Will it really have much of an impact now? I guess it would just be exploring a black Batman, if nothing else.

I'm interested in seeing what he does.

Fantastic Member

The only acceptable character replacing Bruce as Batman is Dick Grayson. no one else has earned it except Tim but he's too young the now.
    Maybe if we get a couple years of Bruce and Luke being a team he will have earned it but till then, no thank you

Astonishing Member

Wow, looking forward for that series, should be pretty interesting to read.
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewHLMW View Post
    The only acceptable character replacing Bruce as Batman is Dick Grayson. no one else has earned it except Tim but he's too young the now.
    Maybe if we get a couple years of Bruce and Luke being a team he will have earned it but till then, no thank you
    Relax, nobody is gonna replace Bruce in the near future anyway. Tynion stays next year as well, as he said, especially with those big plans he was talking about.
    We even don't know if it has something to do with Luke. Even if it is, I doubt they will return to that 5G idea with him being Batman.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Will it really have much of an impact now? I guess it would just be exploring a black Batman, if nothing else.
    What if there are 2 Batman with the relaunch? One with Luke Fox taking over Wayne enterprises and being the public batman like while Bruce decides to work with no money for a while as a more gritty Batman.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    What if there are 2 Batman with the relaunch? One with Luke Fox taking over Wayne enterprises and being the public batman like while Bruce decides to work with no money for a while as a more gritty Batman.
    Having Luke as Batman, even as a supporting cast in the main series where Bruce is the main, while headlining his own mini series, at the same time Jason Todd's moving to Gotham's black neighborhood Bruce never managed to help, does seem to imply a different tone to the line

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    Hmm...could be, although I don't think a two Batman situation would be feasible in the long-term any more than it was when Dick was Batman.

Obviously have to wait for the details to make any kind of judgment but if this is another replacement batman story I have no interest. If the rumor of it being Luke Fox is true it really makes no sense. With 4 trained sidekick and potential replacements in Dick, Jason, Tim and Damian being there it makes no sense for someone who has almost no experience working with bruce to take over. If there is gonna be a replacement it takes a heck of an explanation to show why it wouldn't be grayson. Even if it was Grayson taking over I personally have zero interest in anything that takes bruce out of the cowl, I kinda feel like DC and Marvel think that fans are invested in the superhero name and not the actual character. People are attached to Bruce Wayne, his personality, his backstory, his relationship to Gotham and the larger DCU. Putting Luke in the cowl eliminates all of that and while sure you might tell some different stories and you can call him batman all you want, fans never really accept replacement characters because at the end of the day they just are not the actual character. Its the same for characters like Peter Parker, Clark Kent, Steve Rogers, Tony Stark etc.

Ridley is a good creative mind and if DC really wants to push a story with a black batman I think that would be best done the way marvel is currently handling Miles and Peter, have Luke be a version of Batman that exists along side Bruce that way instead of antagonizing fans of Bruce, you might actually get the fan base to get behind Luke's book too instead of being against him because him being in the cowl meant kicking bruce out of it. If they do the whole replacement arc you will see a bunch of positive comments, high sales for 4-6 issues and then the normal drop off in sales which makes DC go back to Bruce. If they really want to invest in Luke give him his own book put top notch artist like Daniel or Finch on it, get Jim Lee to draw covers etc. Replacing Bruce for a 4th time in the last 30 years, will just work out like the previous times and will look good for a few issues before falling off and eventually going back to the status quo.
    Last edited by regg215; 08-15-2020 at 05:40 PM.
    "You know, there are some words I've known since I was a schoolboy: "With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.. The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged"- CAPT. Picard