Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by regg215 View Post
    Obviously have to wait for the details to make any kind of judgment but if this is another replacement batman story I have no interest. If the rumor of it being Luke Fox is true it really makes no sense. With 4 trained sidekick and potential replacements in Dick, Jason, Tim and Damian being there it makes no sense for someone who has almost no experience working with bruce to take over. If there is gonna be a replacement it takes a heck of an explanation to show why it wouldn't be grayson. Even if it was Grayson taking over I personally have zero interest in anything that takes bruce out of the cowl, I kinda feel like DC and Marvel think that fans are invested in the superhero name and not the actual character. People are attached to Bruce Wayne, his personality, his backstory, his relationship to Gotham and the larger DCU. Putting Luke in the cowl eliminates all of that and while sure you might tell some different stories and you can call him batman all you want, fans never really accept replacement characters because at the end of the day they just are not the actual character. Its the same for characters like Peter Parker, Clark Kent, Steve Rogers, Tony Stark etc.
    ]
    Dick stays in Bludhaven, that's an easy one. Jason's not in a good relationship with Bruce, and Tim's still counted as too young.

Incredible Member

What if we're all over thinking this and that the big thing will be just reintroducing Milestone into the DCU through Batman.

Seriously guys? Just because it's a black writer, and the guy who wrote 12 Years a Slave, you're all assuming he's writing a black guy replacing Bruce? He can't just be writing about the normal Bruce Wayne as Batman in some amazing and thoughtful story?

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Seriously guys? Just because it's a black writer, and the guy who wrote 12 Years a Slave, you're all assuming he's writing a black guy replacing Bruce? He can't just be writing about the normal Bruce Wayne as Batman in some amazing and thoughtful story?
    I think it has more to do with the Bleeding Cool 5G rumors earlier this year
    It's the Dynamic Duo! Batman and Robin!... and Red Robin and Red Hood and Nightwing and Batwoman and Batgirl and Orphan and Spoiler and Bluebird and Lark and Gotham Girl and Talon and Batwing and Huntress and Azreal and Flamebird and Batcow?

Since when could just anybody do what we trained to do? It makes it all dumb instead of special. Like it doesn't matter anymore.
    -Dick Grayson (Batman Inc.)

Quote Originally Posted by Pohzee View Post
    I think it has more to do with the Bleeding Cool 5G rumors earlier this year
    Yes, but it was cancelled, and there's no reason to believe that Ridley is working on it's alleged remnants or remains. I think the only reason he's getting tied to those old 5G rumors is because he's a black guy famous for writing a black story and 5G was going to replace Bruce with Luke. If it were a white writer no one would be bringing up 5G remnants. 5G was aborted, so we shouldn't expect Ridley to be writing Luke as Batman. Not saying it can't happen, just that it shouldn't be an automatic assumption, and the only reason we're connecting him to that is because of his skin color.

Incredible Member

Yes, but it was cancelled, and there's no reason to believe that Ridley is working on it's alleged remnants or remains. I think the only reason he's getting tied to those old 5G rumors is because he's a black guy famous for writing a black story and 5G was going to replace Bruce with Luke. If it were a white writer no one would be bringing up 5G remnants. 5G was aborted, so we shouldn't expect Ridley to be writing Luke as Batman. Not saying it can't happen, just that it shouldn't be an automatic assumption, and the only reason we're connecting him to that is because of his skin color.
    That shows the power of rumor mongering. While we've now kind of been able to put evidence together of something that involved something about generations we've still got no plan about what the possible 5G was about. And sadly because the fan base for comics gets set off about well everything BleedingCool lit the fire and walked away to report on how theres a fire.

Quote Originally Posted by dornwolf View Post
    That shows the power of rumor mongering. While we've now kind of been able to put evidence together of something that involved something about generations we've still got no plan about what the possible 5G was about. And sadly because the fan base for comics gets set off about well everything BleedingCool lit the fire and walked away to report on how theres a fire.
    Perhaps. Either way it's annoying because the only discussion on this had been the Luke as Batman thing which there's every reason to believe has been completely aborted ahead of time. So if you're interested in what a Bruce Wayne Batman story as written by this guy might be like and what kind of themes might get explored, well, there's no discussion on that. Blegh.

Guess I'll just have to wait and see with zero speculation. Which is kind of sad because speculation is fun, but not when it is entirely baseless and feels a little bit racist.

Perhaps. Either way it's annoying because the only discussion on this had been the Luke as Batman thing which there's every reason to believe has been completely aborted ahead of time. So if you're interested in what a Bruce Wayne Batman story as written by this guy might be like and what kind of themes might get explored, well, there's no discussion on that. Blegh.

Guess I'll just have to wait and see with zero speculation. Which is kind of sad because speculation is fun, but not when it is entirely baseless and feels a little bit racist.
    Well, that's because it doesn't matter who the writer is, as long as the Batman he writes is Bruce Wayne there is so many expectations to met just to start the story that it doesn't matter to speculate about it. Either he'll respect those expectations or subvert them, and that'll be it. Nothing ground-breaking, nothing too lazy. Just a Batman story, possibly a good one, but I don't see what Ridley could tell with Bruce which hasn't been done before. HE could do that better than most, but it'll just be more of the same.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

I don’t think anyone was insinuating what you are thinking, but every Batman news tied to Ridley has mentioned Luke fox. Even the joker war tie in he is doing is a Luke fox story.

If Ridley’s not writing about Luke, then there’s nothing new nor any news here. Just another Batman story. Same old, same old.

But if he is writing Luke, then there’s actually something to get excited about. It would honestly be a new story being told. It would be a not-already-huge-character getting a big-time writer and a major story around him. It’s a fresh take in a sea of stale stories.

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    Well, that's because it doesn't matter who the writer is, as long as the Batman he writes is Bruce Wayne there is so many expectations to met just to start the story that it doesn't matter to speculate about it. Either he'll respect those expectations or subvert them, and that'll be it. Nothing ground-breaking, nothing too lazy. Just a Batman story, possibly a good one, but I don't see what Ridley could tell with Bruce which hasn't been done before. HE could do that better than most, but it'll just be more of the same.
    Eh, disagree. Even Bruce isn't beyond being redefined, retooled, or explored in a new way or through a new lens.
    Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    I don’t think anyone was insinuating what you are thinking, but every Batman news tied to Ridley has mentioned Luke fox. Even the joker war tie in he is doing is a Luke fox story.
    I didn't mean that anyone was insinuating that - more feeling it was one of those subconscious unknown bias things. And I don't know what all the sources of those news sites are and what he has and hasn't done for DC. Just feel like we shouldn't assume he'll be doing a Luke is Batman story this early on.

Honestly I would be more interested in a Luke story than another Bruce one. Granted maybe Ridley could give me a take on Bruce that peaks my interest again.

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    Honestly I would be more interested in a Luke story than another Bruce one. Granted maybe Ridley could give me a take on Bruce that peaks my interest again.
    To each their own, but if Bruce isn't behind the cowl I don't see the point and my interest is dead. I'm so glad 5G was terminated before it began. I never saw the appeal in replacing these characters.

Spectacular Member

Is that the dude I saw in that United Shades episode about Milwaukee?

To each their own, but if Bruce isn't behind the cowl I don't see the point and my interest is dead. I'm so glad 5G was terminated before it began. I never saw the appeal in replacing these characters.
    I don't mean 5G or replacing him. I'm more likely to check out a Luke miniseries because there's less Luke content out there. Bruce isn't exactly hurting for content so im cool with tradewaiting a new miniseries.