Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    I don't mean 5G or replacing him. I'm more likely to check out a Luke miniseries because there's less Luke content out there. Bruce isn't exactly hurting for content so im cool with tradewaiting a new miniseries.
    Ah. Well they say he's writing a Batman book, so I don't think it's a Luke mini.

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Ah. Well they say he's writing a Batman book, so I don't think it's a Luke mini.
    Which is fine and I'll assess whether to tradewait or buy in floppies when it pops up again.

With replacements, I just think its a fun novelty and a decent change of pace. DC has been more mantle focused so its easier to do here than Marvel. Batman is one of the few exceptions but I grew up with Batman beyond and read Dick's run as Batman so its not a big leap for me personally.

Granted I never took 5g too seriously because it felt more like a rumor that took a life of its own.

Astonishing Member

Perhaps. Either way it's annoying because the only discussion on this had been the Luke as Batman thing which there's every reason to believe has been completely aborted ahead of time. So if you're interested in what a Bruce Wayne Batman story as written by this guy might be like and what kind of themes might get explored, well, there's no discussion on that. Blegh.

Guess I'll just have to wait and see with zero speculation. Which is kind of sad because speculation is fun, but not when it is entirely baseless and feels a little bit racist.
    Adding to conversation is one thing. Trying to pivot a conversation away from what you don't want to talk about to something you do is something else. Doing this, particularly in this particular instance, comes off as tone deaf.

Furthermore, what do you mean precisely when you say "and feels a little bit racist"?

Quote Originally Posted by J. D. Guy View Post
    Adding to conversation is one thing. Trying to pivot a conversation away from what you don't want to talk about to something you do is something else. Doing this, particularly in this particular instance, comes off as tone deaf.
    What do you think I didn't want to talk about and what was I pivoting too? And if I did, it wasn't intentional. It very well could be me being tone deaf, I'm human we all freaking do tone deaf **** sometimes. I'll take getting **** wrong and being tone deaf, but I don't like the implication of being manipulative with pivoting and crap.

Furthermore, what do you mean precisely when you say "and feels a little bit racist"?
    Precisely what I said? Look I don't think anyone here is racist or implying that, just that the immediate "he has to be writing a black Batman" assumption felt a bit unintentionally racist to me. I mean I'm probably wrong or whatever, I mean I'm white so obviously not the expert on this stuff, just initial gut reaction.

Astonishing Member

What do you think I didn't want to talk about and what was I pivoting too? And if I did, it wasn't intentional. It very well could be me being tone deaf, I'm human we all freaking do tone deaf **** sometimes. I'll take getting **** wrong and being tone deaf, but I don't like the implication of being manipulative with pivoting and crap.

Precisely what I said? Look I don't think anyone here is racist or implying that, just that the immediate "he has to be writing a black Batman" assumption felt a bit unintentionally racist to me. I mean I'm probably wrong or whatever, I mean I'm white so obviously not the expert on this stuff, just initial gut reaction.
    For the latter, you're gonna have to explain yourself. Because I don't see what's even a little bit racist about getting hyped for even the idea of a Black man writing a Black character as a Black Batman. Or even thinking that there could be Black writers out there who would actively want to do that of their own accord.

For the former, it isn't "what I had thought" as it is "what your posts have shown." One of if not your very first post in this thread was you lambasting those who were entertaining the idea of some 5G having place in upcoming comics. Your disdain for even the idea of 5G is evident. But perhaps consider that there are people out there who actually liked the idea of 5G and was unambiguously hyped for what it could bring to the table. And still are, even as remanents. The post I quoted showed your frustration for the general thread not being about talking about a new writer writing Bruce Wayne for the umpteenth time. (New, as in seemingly hasn't written Bruce before.) Those posts are where you showed your disdain for the subject and points being discussed over what you had wanted and your attempts to pivot the discussion to one you would prefer by shaming those who were discussing the original conversation. Intentionally or otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by J. D. Guy View Post
    For the latter, you're gonna have to explain yourself. Because I don't see what's even a little bit racist about getting hyped for even the idea of a Black man writing a Black character as a Black Batman. Or even thinking that there could be Black writers out there who would actively want to do that of their own accord.
    Sure, easy explaination - it's not the hype, it's the assumption. Seriously, nothing I wrote should give anyone the idea I think a black writer writing or wanting to write a black character and being hyped about it is wrong. But the automatic assumption that it will be that with no real reason to assume so. I mean, if you don't see it fine, maybe it's just me. But the assumption that it will be that way is what I felt was odd. Trying to make it out like I was implying "the idea of a Black man writing a Black character as a Black Batman" was wrong though, I have no clue how you can get that impression from what I've posted, but please don't. That's basically implying I'm a racist for **** I didn't even remotely meant, and frankly that puts me in a fighting angry mood. So just kindly don't try and put that **** on me.

For the former, it isn't "what I had thought" as it is "what your posts have shown." One of if not your very first post in this thread was you lambasting those who were entertaining the idea of some 5G having place in upcoming comics. Your disdain for even the idea of 5G is evident. But perhaps consider that there are people out there who actually liked the idea of 5G and was unambiguously hyped for what it could bring to the table. And still are, even as remanents. The post I quoted showed your frustration for the general thread not being about talking about a new writer writing Bruce Wayne for the umpteenth time. (New, as in seemingly hasn't written Bruce before.) Those posts are where you showed your disdain for the subject and points being discussed over what you had wanted and your attempts to pivot the discussion to one you would prefer by shaming those who were discussing the original conversation. Intentionally or otherwise.
    I wasn't lambasting. And yes I hated the idea of 5G. I hated Dick replacing Bruce a decade ago. I've never made secret how much I hate the whole legacy concept in fiction. But frankly that didn't play a part here - it was cancelled. It's been confirmed to be cancelled. So speculating on it here seems pointless to me. But I don't think I shamed anyone, I certainly didn't mean to, and if it came off that way I apologise. Everything I posted here however I meant, it was how I felt and thought, and frankly I didn't put that much thought into it. But, and I could be wrong here and I hope I am, it feels like I'm being accused of intentional underhanded methods. And that's not me. I'm flawed, I don't always think things through, and I sometimes get a bit much, but I'm not conniving.

Anyways, I'm going to stop now because I feel this is getting too close to personal and I don't want to give the mods more work.

Ultimate Member

If you go by Christopher Priest that is generally what they are offered FIRST and sometimes ONLY. And yes that includes Bryan Hill too. Whose first books were Michael Cray and American Carnage at Vertigo.

In fact Cheryl Lynn Eaton & Felicia Henderson are probably the only black (let alone black female) writers NOT write a black character. When Eaton did a Batman story in 2017. Henderson did Teen Titans.

So if it's Ridley-it's 75% most likely a black story. What would a black Batman with money and a company (like Luke or Michael Holt) look like and act like.

Unless we are going to see a story of Bruce with a black Robin FINALLY. Since we got denied it in Batman Returns. Maybe this will explain why he wanted to do something different with Duke.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    If you go by Christopher Priest that is generally what they are offered FIRST and sometimes ONLY. And yes that includes Bryan Hill too. Whose first books were Michael Cray and American Carnage at Vertigo.

In fact Cheryl Lynn Eaton & Felicia Henderson are probably the only black (let alone black female) writers NOT write a black character. When Eaton did a Batman story in 2017. Henderson did Teen Titans.

So if it's Ridley-it's 75% most likely a black story. What would a black Batman with money and a company (like Luke or Michael Holt) look like and act like.

Unless we are going to see a story of Bruce with a black Robin FINALLY. Since we got denied it in Batman Returns. Maybe this will explain why he wanted to do something different with Duke.
    Oh God, not another Robin. Can't we just race change Dick or something? Normally I'm against race changing a character, but anything to not add another Robin to the Batfamily. We've already got 4, 5 if you count Steph.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Oh God, not another Robin. Can't we just race change Dick or something? Normally I'm against race changing a character, but anything to not add another Robin to the Batfamily. We've already got 4, 5 if you count Steph.
    Not to mention, Tynion just started introducing Clownhunter and now Harper Row is coming back. We don't need even more sidekicks.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    Not to mention, Tynion just started introducing Clownhunter and now Harper Row is coming back. We don't need even more sidekicks.
    Once Tynion and Snyder are gone I expect Harper or Clownhunter to show up as much as Batcow. The family is big enough. Looking forward to a high profile guy like John Ridley whatever he's writing and hope its what he wants to write with little to no interference.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    Clownhunter seems like a more independent operator or obstacle than a sidekick.

I don't mind a new Robin but I'd prefer something like Blindspot instead. He was a new character who Daredevil was mentored in the Charles Soule run. I thought it was a better way of introducing minority legacy or even just legacy characters in general. He even felt like a more focused take on Duke to me.

Ultimate Member

I would suspect a FLASHBACK to a black Robin either before Dick or between him and Jason-who was not around for long.

Someone who quit or Bruce let go or something caused him to leave.

Someone who is not an active hero.

I am more looking at someone who is around like but not always used. Like Harold. We saw him in All Star Batman and that was it. We know what he does and that is it. He shows up as needed.

Not someone who will always shows up at Bat family reunions.

He can be the one who runs the parts of Wayne Corps that Fox doesn't. Who makes sure the donations are done? Who makes sure damages by the Bat is cleaned up?

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Clownhunter seems like a more independent operator or obstacle than a sidekick.
    That's true, I don't see Bruce inviting him to batfam meetings lol.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    I would suspect a FLASHBACK to a black Robin either before Dick or between him and Jason-who was not around for long.

Someone who quit or Bruce let go or something caused him to leave.

Someone who is not an active hero.

I am more looking at someone who is around like but not always used. Like Harold. We saw him in All Star Batman and that was it. We know what he does and that is it. He shows up as needed.

Not someone who will always shows up at Bat family reunions.

He can be the one who runs the parts of Wayne Corps that Fox doesn't. Who makes sure the donations are done? Who makes sure damages by the Bat is cleaned up?
    This might work like Katana from Beware the Batman. A sort of proto-Robin.