Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

I'd be interested in Bronze Tiger but that feels like a short term play.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    Riddley on Batman confirmed, January 2021. Riddley teases he is writing a batman of color and the Fox family will be heavily involved.
    yeeeeesssss, put this in my veins! LOL seriously, i've really come to fall in love with the idea of John Ridley on a Fox family Batman. if DC follows through well with this, Milestone, and Duke on Robin King (and whatever unnamed project he's gonna be on) they may tentatively win me back on their comics.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Derrington on pencils just sealed the deal for me. I was already onboard for an issue, but now I'll probably just buy the entire run outright before reading it just for his art.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    It'd definitively offer some really interesting beats. We know Batman hates killing, but here we have a killer who strictly select his victims among the worst kind of scum, those who join the Joker. I guess after the Joker War he'd branch out and defend the Narrows as a whole (which, considering that both Harper and Duke come from there, mean that they'd need to be involved with him in some capacity) and it'd at least force Batman to consider if getting ride of violent crime and perhaps allowing this deprived neighborhood to finally thrive is enough to counter-balance the actions of a murderous vigilante. Especially one who is bound to not share the somewhat cordial relationship Bats has with the Police force.
    Indeed. Because as murderous and coldly disturbed as his methods have been, the story makes it clear that the Narrows has become the safest area in Gotham right now.

And Duke and Harper both being denizens of the Narrows themselves, it makes all the sense in the world that they have some serious, ongoing interaction with reaction to Clownhunter.

(And who knows. Maybe Duke and Harper can finally be shown in the same space interacting with each other for once.)

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Oh it's going to be a LONG 4 months......

Where is that fanboy tear cup at???? Even if he's in another reality, I prepare for the tears.

Now what guys of color cold it be if it's not Luke? Crispus Allen where are you????
    Duke Thomas would be a cool pick if it were for out of continuity. Afrofuturism Sunlight Batman would be a trip to see.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

currently following:
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    Duke Thomas would be a cool pick if it were for out of continuity. Afrofuturism Sunlight Batman would be a trip to see.
    https://bleedingcool.com/comics/jim-...at-dc-fandome/

During which he confirmed what John Ridley teased earlier. Ridley said there was "a slightly greater than 47% chance that he will be a person of colour" and that with Nick Derington would be the series artist. But Jim Lee confirmed that Ridley will be writing a series with a Black Batman. He confirmed it is a mini-series (rather than the ongoing series we know was originally planned) and he says that Ridley will address his own relationship with his two sons in the comic book. Which, given Ridley's comments regarding how it will explore the Lucius Fox character, adds greater weight to our original reports from last year that Luke Fox, son of Lucious Fox, will be the new Batman.
    Unless Duke is Lucious's kid some how.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    https://bleedingcool.com/comics/jim-...at-dc-fandome/

Unless Duke is Lucious's kid some how.
    He probably means using Luke as a stand-in for both of his sons.

Astonishing Member

So does this mean we get to have Luke as Batman? Even if a downsized 6-issue mini? That's an awesome prospect!

Not familiar with the artist. What have they done before? Seems they're quite the hype material by themselves.

Would be a fun ride! I'd be down for that take!

Quote Originally Posted by J. D. Guy View Post
    So does this mean we get to have Luke as Batman? Even if a downsized 6-issue mini? That's an awesome prospect!

Not familiar with the artist. What have they done before? Seems they're quite the hype material by themselves.

right?! I might need to put a reference package together so I can get that commissioned, just to see what it would look like. If DC ever gets Duke to take off properly I can't say I couldn't see DC giving us something along those lines out in the Multiverse somewhere at least.

currently following:

This is the first Batman-related thing in comics that I've been excited for in years, glad to see it really is happening. The whole thing with it being about Luke potentially is amazing. I mean, anyone that's read Luke's introduction issue in Batwing would've seen this as an obvious next step for the character. With how strong the creative team is, I'm sure the book itself will be great but I hope this is the sort of thing that really does have some lasting effects on the DCU.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

The artist recently did a batman walmart story with Bendis called batman universe. And so far, it's just a 4 issue mini but I can't imagine the writer has been rumored for so long just to write a 4 issue mini.

Here’s some of Nick Derington’s work from Batman Universe, Doom Patrol, and Batman/Superman

1BDAF332-5CD6-4EC4-9B67-E099B0F5B8DE.jpg

C314CC7B-833E-47A9-A70C-BB06EE9C9A90.jpg

DD656F26-95C9-43D8-BE52-674861A71BF3.jpg
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Spectacular Member

I may be in the minority but I am so not looking forward to this at all. It is just a cheap stunt. Bruce Wayne is Batman period. If you want to create heroes of color then just create a new one. Bruce is Batman and we all know that this is just a short term ploy. I feel the same way every time they try to get a "new Batman" and it is happening way too often. I felt the same way with Miles. Don't try to replace the icons do the work and create a new character and this coming from someone who is a minority.

Astonishing Member

Bruce is not going to be replaced, they will exist at the same time.

We've had Dick, Tim, Jason, Damian, and even Jim Gordon all as Batman before; it's not that deep. there are people of color who like seeing themselves in the these roles that everyone keeps telling us are the biggest most important things, and if they don't wanna make room for new roles to reach these heights then this is what you get. people always so quick to wanna talk about how "cheap" it is when these characters of color take on these mantles, even without reading it yet, like DC puts people of color in the forefront (mantle or original) regularly; shit ain't cheap, it's too few and far between to be conceptually "cheap" if we're being honest. so they put Luke in the suit for a bit, it's a mantle, if you don't like it, you can rest in the gloooory that DC are largely cowards when it comes to status quo and it won't last long IF it even goes pass this 4-issue limited series. I for one am almost always interested in seeing alternative approaches to characters, and as a person of color I love when they put us in the front.

maybe if DC invested more in their characters of color and if fans weren't so whiny about characters of colors doing anything, this wouldn't be a big deal. but they don't, they do, so it is.

currently following: