Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

While Red Hood won't end with #50, it looks like the next writer will only do 2 issues, then the relaunch I guess.

Trinity and their satellites
    Flash
    JL
    Harley Quinn
    GL
    Mini's/Maxi's based on their upcoming series like Stargirl/JSA

Outside of that I don't see anything else.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

I can live with a lot of the already-announced cancelations but I hate to lose Hawkman and I especially hate to lose Tom Taylor's Suicide Squad. It's become one of my very favorite titles.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Not looking at sales but DCWB brand from their TV, movies and games be it cancelled, finished or ongoing
    1. Justice League
    2. Suicide Squad
    3. Batman
    4. Superman
    5. Wonder Woman
    6. The Flash
    7. Supergirl
    8. Green Arrow
    9. Batwoman
    10. Red Hood
    11. Harley Quinn
    12. Birds of Prey
    13. Batgirl (DC Superhero Girls)
    14. Aquaman
    15. Green Lantern Corps
    16. Young Justice (Titans and Teen)
    17. The Atom (Legends of Tomorrow)
    18. Stargirl (and JSA)
    19. Justice League Dark (Constantine, Swamp Thing)
    20. Shazam!
    21. Legion of Superheroes
    22. Batman Beyond
    Last edited by Restingvoice; 08-14-2020 at 11:25 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Eh, surviving to issue 50 and being successful aren't necessarily the same things. I think Red Hood has struggled to maintain 20K in sales, from what someone told me on the Bat forum. That's not "horrible" but not what I'd call "successful" either. But you're not wrong; those books have managed to survive when a lot of others haven't (I'd guess pet projects and personal favorites among management, which shouldn't be allowed in a proper run business). But if they did what I suggest and just cut the bottom selling titles regardless of what they are, I'm guessing Batgirl and Red Hood (and now Nightwing, but not traditionally) would be among them.
    Actually they survived even longer Batgirl and Red Hood are among the very few books that have basically survived since the start of the new 52, there have been relaunches, name changes and similar stuff, but if you count everything together both books managed to keep going for over 100 issues sofar, in case of Red Hood a large majority of these issues where even written by the same writer.

I think Batgirl will very likely continue somehow, since it is ones of their highest profile female characters.
    And Red Hood has been put into many high profile out of continuity titles (DC Unkillables, Batman Adventures Continue, Three Jokers and probably the next Volume of White Knight) and is also used a lot in other media so I doubt that he will end up in limbo.

Incredible Member

I am pretty sure Batgirl was selling better during Hope Larson's run, and DC thought enough of the title to have Joshua Middleton drawing the fantastic variant covers for a very long time.

Yes, Batgirl of Burnside was a controversial characterization. So, the creative teams were changed (twice), Barbara was aged up and given a more traditional costume (with the weird bunny ears though), and -- sales fell. The writers (Mairghread Scott and then Cecil Castellucci) were stuck with a ton of editorial interference and yet not enough information, but apart from that I think their writing was disappointing. I also think the artists weren't a great fit, though both Paul Pelletier and Carmine Giandomenico do have tons of fans.

It looks like the most recent story drawn by Robbi Rodriguez finally got Barbara's age back to around where it should be, somewhere in between the teeny-bopper Burnside version and the nearly middle-aged political operative she briefly became -- but he's only doing 3 issues and then with #50 the book is gone. But I think a Batgirl title or teamup will definitely be back.

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

What it means is, expect to see a **** ton of Batman books and nothing from out of left field.
    There will be no more risks taken. Just keep suckling that Bat-teat until it finally runs dry.
    It's a damn shame. I expect we'll no longer see things from DC like Major Bummer, Hitman, OMAC etc anytime soon. Meaning they'll miss things like Johns' Booster Gold or Vibe books.
    They will be banking on the 'sure things'.
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Those two have had run last to 50 issues. So it's not like they weren't selling.

If you are going to keep flooding the market with Batman-didn't learn your lesson. That is pandering to a market that claims certain books can't sell but somehow they find audiences.

If all those "can't sell" books go to other venues-that less books for the direct market.

It will eventually become-why buy floppies for X when I can wait for the trade to go along with the OGN of JSA.

Well, Bleedingcool mentioned DC want to focus on OGN and digital, while they don't have so much interest in direct market anymore.

DC Fandome schedule seems to confirm that, considering how it seems to have more focus on OGNs and digital.

So, it has sense they want to release only the big sellers (like Batman) in the direct market.

The focus (and experimentation) on other characters will be for OGN and digital.
    Last edited by Konja7; 08-15-2020 at 01:46 PM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by ohfellow View Post
    I am pretty sure Batgirl was selling better during Hope Larson's run, and DC thought enough of the title to have Joshua Middleton drawing the fantastic variant covers for a very long time.

Yes, Batgirl of Burnside was a controversial characterization. So, the creative teams were changed (twice), Barbara was aged up and given a more traditional costume (with the weird bunny ears though), and -- sales fell. The writers (Mairghread Scott and then Cecil Castellucci) were stuck with a ton of editorial interference and yet not enough information, but apart from that I think their writing was disappointing. I also think the artists weren't a great fit, though both Paul Pelletier and Carmine Giandomenico do have tons of fans.

It looks like the most recent story drawn by Robbi Rodriguez finally got Barbara's age back to around where it should be, somewhere in between the teeny-bopper Burnside version and the nearly middle-aged political operative she briefly became -- but he's only doing 3 issues and then with #50 the book is gone. But I think a Batgirl title or teamup will definitely be back.
    Batgirl comic has fallen on sales before the change of suit and "age up".

The sales for floppies in Burnside Batgirl weren't good either. That's why they change the suit and tone of the story.
    Last edited by Konja7; 08-15-2020 at 04:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by married guy View Post
    What it means is, expect to see a **** ton of Batman books and nothing from out of left field.
    There will be no more risks taken. Just keep suckling that Bat-teat until it finally runs dry.
    It's a damn shame. I expect we'll no longer see things from DC like Major Bummer, Hitman, OMAC etc anytime soon. Meaning they'll miss things like Johns' Booster Gold or Vibe books.
    They will be banking on the 'sure things'.
    Yep, this will more than likely mean I will not be pulling a single title. I really do not give a crap about their "main line".
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    I don't see the Bendis Legion surviving much longer. The only way a Legion book can rhrieve is is you pull in all the fandom, and the Bendis Legion is certainly not doing that.
    If DC brings the old design, old future and old everything of the Legion, I won't bring my money to them. I really like Bendis's Legion but have zero interest to read about the older runs. Zero.

Incredible Member

Batman and 'Tec

Superman and Action

Barry

GL

Aquaman

Wonder Woman

Justice League featuring all the characters above

Suicide Squad for villains

Harley

Titans and/or Young Justice

Supergirl

I can see Justice League Dark so they can continue to shove all their magic characters into

I can only see JSA if Johns writes it because DC would be confident it would sell

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Konja7 View Post
    Batgirl comic has fallen on sales before the change of suit and "age up".

The sales for floppies in Burnside Batgirl weren't good either. That's why they change the suit and tone of the story.
    I see, yes you are right, I was wrong. Sales actually did pick up a lot when Scott took over the book, and while they fluctuated around a bit, they dropped back down again during the Castellucci era. A lot of weak story choices have been made lately and quite a lot can be blamed on the hand she was dealt by editorial.

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    Actually they survived even longer Batgirl and Red Hood are among the very few books that have basically survived since the start of the new 52, there have been relaunches, name changes and similar stuff, but if you count everything together both books managed to keep going for over 100 issues sofar, in case of Red Hood a large majority of these issues where even written by the same writer.
    That's true. And to my knowledge (I could totally be wrong here) neither of those sold terribly well for most of that time. Making it to 100 combined issues is great, but still not a sign of what I'd call "success," more like "managing to not fail." But like I said before, raw sales figures aren't the only factor DC looks at, and I expect both Batgirl and Red Hood will continue in some fashion after the culling (I even included them in my list of 20 books).
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    If DC brings the old design, old future and old everything of the Legion, I won't bring my money to them. I really like Bendis's Legion but have zero interest to read about the older runs. Zero.
    They might lose you but gain back 5 older fans who who hate the new Bendisboot.