Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

The gains would definitely outweigh the losses. Bendis's Legion has been a huge disappointment critically and sales-wise. Now, those gains still wouldn't automatically garner success. The property still has never been successfully revamped for modern day success. But the template of the classic Legion is the place to start, not...this.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 08-15-2020 at 12:01 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Yeah, the Legion doesn't really have much of an avenue to success in the direct market no matter what you do. They've done retroboots and it fails, Bendis has re-built it from the ground up and it still isn't catching on. Which is kind of a shame because the last issue or two are actually pretty interesting, I was about to drop the book but issue 6 was just good enough for me to try 7 and now I'm actually kinda feeling it.

Personally I think the Legion concept needs to be rebuilt from the ground up and re-imagined as a hard sci-fi narrative rather than "Teen Titans in Space."
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Maybe we should just accept that certain properties are not going to click regardless of how many times you try to "rebuild" them.

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    Maybe we should just accept that certain properties are not going to click regardless of how many times you try to "rebuild" them.
    Or that hitting the reboot button too many times, you will get fatigue or gradually dilute the appeal.

Doesn't help that the new Batgirl costume is **** ugly.

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    The gains would definitely outweigh the losses. Bendis's Legion has been a huge disappointment critically and sales-wise. Now, those gains still wouldn't automatically garner success. The property still has never been successfully revamped for modern day success. But the template of the classic Legion is the place to start, not...this.
    The Bendis Legion never really appealed to me.

It's fine if DC wants to try new takes on the Legion. I just probably won't care for them.
    The DnA run was the only non-Levitz-canon Legion I liked.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Quote Originally Posted by Konja7 View Post
    Well, Bleedingcool mentioned DC want to focus on OGN and digital, while they don't have so much interest in direct market anymore.

DC Fandome schedule seems to confirm that, considering how it seems to have more focus on OGNs and digital.

So, it has sense they want to release only the big sellers (like Batman) in the direct market.

The focus (and experminentation) on other characters will be for OGN and digital.
    If we can't get a Vixen ongoing monthly solo book, then I guess OGNs and digital content for her will be the next best thing.
    Black Panther - Champion of Bast
    Vixen - Champion of Anansi

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    They might lose you but gain back 5 older fans who who hate the new Bendisboot.
    Bullshit. Older fans will complain about anything and not come back. And even if they do, they can't sustain it, it's quite obvious. banking on Nostalgia won't work for DC anymore, not with properties like the Legion, the Titans 'teens or not), YJ or the JSA.

And bringing back all the old continuity of the Legion will be a nightmare for new readers. Who do you think will pikc up a series requiring them to read incredibly old and dated (even outdated) comics to even start to understand where we are ? And to add to that the characters will wear their old rags instead of a sleek modern design ? I think you overestimate the width of the Nostalgia Fanatics' pool, really.

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    Bullshit. Older fans will complain about anything and not come back. And even if they do, they can't sustain it, it's quite obvious. banking on Nostalgia won't work for DC anymore, not with properties like the Legion, the Titans 'teens or not), YJ or the JSA.

And bringing back all the old continuity of the Legion will be a nightmare for new readers. Who do you think will pikc up a series requiring them to read incredibly old and dated (even outdated) comics to even start to understand where we are ? And to add to that the characters will wear their old rags instead of a sleek modern design ? I think you overestimate the width of the Nostalgia Fanatics' pool, really.
    It’s hardly unheard of to create jumping on points for stories with a lot of backstory. Think Hush or Court of Owls for Batman. Those weren’t lazy start at the beginning stories instead they were framed in a way that catches readers up and tell a fun story in the process. Johns’s Green Lantern Rebirth is another highly successful one. Or Welcome Back Frank for Marvel’s Punisher.

With Legion, if you keep rebooting and rebooting, it becomes a harder sell each time. If it was the first or even second reboot, sure. But more than that? It gets more and more diluted.

Quote Originally Posted by OpaqueGiraffe17 View Post
    It’s hardly unheard of to create jumping on points for stories with a lot of backstory. Think Hush or Court of Owls for Batman. Those weren’t lazy start at the beginning stories instead they were framed in a way that catches readers up and tell a fun story in the process. Johns’s Green Lantern Rebirth is another highly successful one. Or Welcome Back Frank for Marvel’s Punisher.

With Legion, if you keep rebooting and rebooting, it becomes a harder sell each time. If it was the first or even second reboot, sure. But more than that? It gets more and more diluted.
    I still don't see how it'd be sustainable. As soon as the new creative team took a decision which wouldn't please the old fans or even just didn't do things fast enough for them, they'd stop buying it anyway. Far better to develop this new Legion, which propose bold new ideas which resonates far more with the modern world than to revive older versions and try to somehow justify the erasure of this and that version of the Legion or something like that. At least in my eyes.

I still don't see how it'd be sustainable. As soon as the new creative team took a decision which wouldn't please the old fans or even just didn't do things fast enough for them, they'd stop buying it anyway. Far better to develop this new Legion, which propose bold new ideas which resonates far more with the modern world than to revive older versions and try to somehow justify the erasure of this and that version of the Legion or something like that. At least in my eyes.
    There’s making risky creative decisions and then there’s rebooting for the 4th or 5th time.
    Anyway, I don’t know what “bold new ideas” this boasts of? But it doesn’t seem like it resonated all that much to me.
    Last edited by OpaqueGiraffe17; 08-16-2020 at 02:52 AM.

I'm wondering if they'll cut the line further. Is the 25% cut happening after the November books, or does it include them?

Quote Originally Posted by OpaqueGiraffe17 View Post
    There’s making risky creative decisions and then there’s rebooting for the 4th or 5th time.
    Anyway, I don’t know what “bold new ideas” this boasts of? But it doesn’t but it doesn’t seem like it resonated all that much to me.
    Returning to what older fans want is certainly the contrary of a risky move. Nothing good will ever come from such a behavior. And I feel like this Legion, with a more complicated relationship with both Brande and the UP, the questions surrounding their destiny and how to survive when the Earth from one thousand years in the past change, the search for old artifacts of the DCU and what they entails for its future are quite intriguing and not something which could be down with older versions of the Legion because the fans would complain that "X is acting out of character" or something.

X-Men seems to be doing fine, and, AFAIK, the Dark Phoenix Saga and Days of Future Past are still canon.
    Changeling still impersonated Xavier and died in his place, with the X-Men thinking him dead.
    Magneto still trained the New Mutants, as did Emma Frost.
    Cable still came from the future and led the New Mutants.
    Dazzler still joined the X-Men and had Destiny's masked stuck on her face, the team hid in the Australian Outback while the world thought they were dead.
    Psylocke still spent time as an English woman before being turned into an Asian Elektra with psionic blades.
    Rogue still spent time as a member of the Brotherhood of Evil, absorbed Carol Danvers' powers and memories, and joined the X-Men so Xavier could help her deal with that
    Storm still had her un-powered mohawk phase, leading the Morlocks, after saving Rogue from getting shot by Forge's weapon

You could write a book the size of War and Peace to recount everyone's history in the X-Men.
    And that's before you get into family trees and who's related to who.

AFAIK, these things are all still canon. At the very least, nothing contradicts them happening.

And it's still one of Marvel's biggest properties.

Now, imagine Marvel rebooting the X-Men with all new characters with the same names.

For example:

Angel, a female illusionist
    Warpath, a woman with emotion control
    Cyclops, a tall man with one eye and super-strength
    Wolverine, a female lycanthrope
    Storm, a man with weather control powers

Led by Xavier, an artificial intelligence created by Charlene Xavier, a 16 year old tech wiz.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

BANNED

They will probably cut few more titles. 3 or 5. Guess they could move Legion into present day and add current day young heroes and have crossovers boost some sales.