Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    Returning to what older fans want is certainly the contrary of a risky move. Nothing good will ever come from such a behavior. And I feel like this Legion, with a more complicated relationship with both Brande and the UP, the questions surrounding their destiny and how to survive when the Earth from one thousand years in the past change, the search for old artifacts of the DCU and what they entails for its future are quite intriguing and not something which could be down with older versions of the Legion because the fans would complain that "X is acting out of character" or something.
    At this point, rebooting has become the safe option for legion, very much to its detriment. This new legion is just another fresh paint job, nothing that breaks the mold.
    Last edited by OpaqueGiraffe17; 08-15-2020 at 06:31 PM.

Can't really compare the Legion to the X-Men, who have consistently been a huge property for Marvel since the 80s and have a huge legacy fanbase. The Legion have maybe a fraction of that popularity, so yes, trying to bring in new readers is a much more pressing concern.

Also, somewhat cynically, I suspect certain changes in the modern runs were made with an eye towards adaptations anyway.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

New readers wouldn't care if the Legion they start reading a reboot or classic as long as there's a clear entry explanation like the aforementioned Batman Hush example

That said, they will start to care if they spent a year reading and there's another reboot, or if they go back to read previous continuity Legion and fall in love with that instead.

The risk of doing a reboot is you're creating another generation of future angry fans.

So I say go with the most common or popular classic version of the team, or failing that, wherever they left off in the continuity, then make an easy intro story.

if the most recognizable Batman is the broody loner, start with that, then slowly introduce everything else. Use the same concept with Legion.
    Last edited by Restingvoice; 08-15-2020 at 09:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    Can't really compare the Legion to the X-Men, who have consistently been a huge property for Marvel since the 80s and have a huge legacy fanbase. The Legion have maybe a fraction of that popularity, so yes, trying to bring in new readers is a much more pressing concern.
    But then, each failed reboot shrinks Legion's fanbase even further.

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post

Also, somewhat cynically, I suspect certain changes in the modern runs were made with an eye towards adaptations anyway.
    I definitely think the race-bending and trying to make the Legion more diverse was looking towards the future of the brand in modern times.

They even made the two major redhead members black like live-action adaptions do 90% of the time :P.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I definitely think the race-bending and trying to make the Legion more diverse was looking towards the future of the brand in modern times.

They even made the two major redhead members black like live-action adaptions do 90% of the time :P.
    Ah, the Gingers; the only demographic it's still okay to be prejudiced against.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    If DC brings the old design, old future and old everything of the Legion, I won't bring my money to them. I really like Bendis's Legion but have zero interest to read about the older runs. Zero.
    Just quoting this post to say I second and completely agree with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post

The Lightning Twins? I reckon they did that as a way to connect them to Black Lightning - they could easily be his legacy characters.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Okay, I think I've figured out the new lineup:

Batman: starring Batman

Detective: starring Batman

Action: starring Batman

Superman: starring Batman

Wonder Woman: starring Batman

Flash: starring Batman

Green Lantern: starring Batman

Justice League: starring Batman

Aquaman: starring Batman

Nightwing: starring Batman

Green Arrow: starring Batman

Teen Titans: starring Batman

Legion: starring Batman

Constantine: starring Batman

Swamp Thing: starring Batman

Looney Tunes: starring Batman

Scooby Doo: starring Batman

Joe Hill line: starring Batman
    Assassinate Putin!

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Prepare yourself for the social media crap, rumor has it they’re making Cyclone Black in the Black Adam film.

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    The Lightning Twins? I reckon they did that as a way to connect them to Black Lightning - they could easily be his legacy characters.
    That’s actually really smart. I hope that’s the case

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    A thousand years in the future, they could be white/Asian/Indian and still be connected to Black Lightning. But I doubt that's the reason the new versions are black.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Then tell them to stop eating babies!
    Assassinate Putin!

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Samm View Post

That’s actually really smart. I hope that’s the case
    That is my problem with Bendis. He is tying so much to modern times with things like Dr. Fate and Gold Lantern or places like Planet Gotham. I don't need or want every character being tied to some past hero or place. To me that is just weak writing when you have to prop up all your ideas with other things from the past. DC tried that with the stupid Justice League 3000 book they tried to replace the Legion with that went nowhere.

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    Okay, I think I've figured out the new lineup:

Batman: starring Batman

Detective: starring Batman

Action: starring Batman

Superman: starring Batman

Wonder Woman: starring Batman

Flash: starring Batman

Green Lantern: starring Batman

Justice League: starring Batman

Aquaman: starring Batman

Nightwing: starring Batman

Green Arrow: starring Batman

Teen Titans: starring Batman

Legion: starring Batman

Constantine: starring Batman

Swamp Thing: starring Batman

Looney Tunes: starring Batman

Scooby Doo: starring Batman

Joe Hill line: starring Batman
    Ding,ding, ding! We have a winner! Nailed it.
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

Incredible Member

I’ve enjoyed the Bendis’ Legion thus far. I’d hate to see the groundwork he has laid out be swept away for nostalgia.

I think DC could do well keeping the bottom six places for constantly rotating limited series of varying lengths not focused on ‘the Trinity’.