Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Option38 View Post
    I don't know if I "hate" it, but is there an official, in-universe, explanation for Iron Man suddenly becoming more of a smart-*ss since 2008? Tony Stark was always quite serious from 1962-2008. Sure, he'd pop in a standard one-liner or two, but he wasn't the motormouth, arrogant, jokester that Robert Downey, Jr. brought to the character.
    Tony was arrogant, joked around and talked a lot when he fought way before 2008 and RDJ came along. Was it up to the level of RDJ? No. They did turn the volume up a bit on it. That is true, but it was inherent in the character already. Again long before RDJ and 2008.
    Last edited by Tony Stark; 08-17-2020 at 12:46 AM.
    "We live in a world of cowards. We live in a world full of small minds who are afraid. We are ruled by those who refuse to risk anything of their own. Who guard their over bloated paucities of power with money. With false reasoning. With measured hesitance. With prideful, recalcitrant inaction. With hateful invective. With weapons. F@#K these selfish fools and their prevailing world order." Tony Stark

BANNED

The Power of the Eye of the Agamotto.

Quote Originally Posted by Option38 View Post
    Right after the first "Avengers" movie, in 2012, Marvel seemed to think "we have a Hulk" was soooo funny. I remember that line (and lines similar to it, or paraphrasing it) popping up in the Avengers title for about a year or two.

I don't know if I "hate" it, but is there an official, in-universe, explanation for Iron Man suddenly becoming more of a smart-*ss since 2008? Tony Stark was always quite serious from 1962-2008. Sure, he'd pop in a standard one-liner or two, but he wasn't the motormouth, arrogant, jokester that Robert Downey, Jr. brought to the character.
    It's a bit like the case of Nick Fury. Ultimate Marvel makes a change to a classic character, this change is then incorporated in the films, the films make it so popular, that eventually the main character also takes the change.

As for in-universe... didn't Tony Stark got a mind-wipe during Dark Reign or something like that? We can easily say that this also altered his usual behavior.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultimate Captain America View Post
    As for in-universe... didn't Tony Stark got a mind-wipe during Dark Reign or something like that? We can easily say that this also altered his usual behavior.
    He uploaded all the secret identities of the heroes in the registration act into his head and then deleted his memory so that Norman Osborn couldn't get to them. They then reset his memory from before Civil War as a lame way to excuse Tony's actions during it as "he doesn't remember doing that."

I loved Fraction's run on the book but that part was pretty dumb.
    Last Read: Aquaman & The Flash: Voidsong

Monthly Pull List: Alan Scott: The Green Lantern, Birds of Prey, Daredevil, Geiger, Green Arrow, Justice Ducks, Justice Society of America, Negaduck, Nightwing, Phantom Road, Shazam!, Suicide Squad: Dream Team, Thundercats, Titans

Quote Originally Posted by Noodle View Post
    He uploaded all the secret identities of the heroes in the registration act into his head and then deleted his memory so that Norman Osborn couldn't get to them. They then reset his memory from before Civil War as a lame way to excuse Tony's actions during it as "he doesn't remember doing that."

I loved Fraction's run on the book but that part was pretty dumb.
    He didn't get a pass for it though. Thor and other character still blamed him for what he had done during those times.
    "We live in a world of cowards. We live in a world full of small minds who are afraid. We are ruled by those who refuse to risk anything of their own. Who guard their over bloated paucities of power with money. With false reasoning. With measured hesitance. With prideful, recalcitrant inaction. With hateful invective. With weapons. F@#K these selfish fools and their prevailing world order." Tony Stark

The Fraction mindwipe was probably cuz he liked the idea of Tony's mind slowly deyeeting and then having to catch up to all the stuff that went down. If it was really a ploy to absolve him of Civil War responibility or consequences he wouldn't have had the T-Man straight up tell Thor he'd do it again ejdnndmsmsmsjdns
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

I can't believe they made Alfred skinny. Such a blatant cash grab.

Seriously, changing things to match a more popular medium has been going on since the beginning of time.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Overhazard View Post
    I'd say what happened to cosmic marvel. The Guardians Movie was modeled after the DnA run, but then they changed the guardians in the comics to be like their movie versions, and it became constant jokes and classic rock which was really grating. Cosmic Marvel became a hollowed out shell of itself.

The movie synergy doesn't bother me anymore, I just wish they'd admit it.
    This.

I struggle to read GoTG because it’s been a very,very jarring change.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Stark View Post
    Tony was arrogant, joked around and talked a lot when he fought way before 2008 and RDJ came along. Was it up to the level of RDJ? No. They did turn the volume up a bit on it. That is true, but it was inherent in the character already. Again long before RDJ and 2008.
    Yeah, Bendis already amped up the “mouthy” elements of Iron Man in his Avengers run.

The problem now is that guys like Jason Aaron write Tony as something of a goofball at times which isn’t entirely consistent.

Ultimate Member

The most brutal changes were the introduction of Nick Fury Jr, the complete transformation of Shuri and the changes to Magneto’s kids. Carol Danvers origin is up there too because it seemed they changed the character based on the trailers.

Hickman said it best (and I paraphrase), comics should almost never adjust to the movies, it should be the other way round. Obviously with movies being more popular than comics some elements will filter in but wholesale changes to existing characters shouldn’t be a thing. The Shuri thing for anyone that’s read Black Panther will leave you confused and wondering what happened to the original Shuri. Especially when the most recent version of the character in Coates run had gone all spiritual in outlook and ability.

Astonishing Member Shinglepants's Avatar

The GotG one is the one that irritates me. The tone of the comics, the stale roster. Thankfully Cates and Ewing seem to have righted the ship.

Wanda and Pietro
    TO KNOW HER IS TO FEAR HER: JESSICA DREW THE SPIDER-WOMAN
    BE SURE TO CHECK OUT THE NEW 2024 SPIDER-WOMAN SERIES by STEVE FOXE!!!

MISSING:
    Synch's Aura
    Northstar and Aurora's shiny hair
    Spider-Woman’s cowl costume

"Infinity Wars" (in plural; not Starlin's one). An absolute nonsense of a comic that should never had existed... except because Marvel badly needed to have something titled "Infinity War" or similar in the shelves that year.

Wanda and Pietro not being mutants anymore, done badly and only to appease a notorious sociopathic suit...

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Stark View Post
    He didn't get a pass for it though. Thor and other character still blamed him for what he had done during those times.
    Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    The Fraction mindwipe was probably cuz he liked the idea of Tony's mind slowly deyeeting and then having to catch up to all the stuff that went down. If it was really a ploy to absolve him of Civil War responibility or consequences he wouldn't have had the T-Man straight up tell Thor he'd do it again ejdnndmsmsmsjdns
    Not that Fraction really did much with it post-Dark Reign but I think I recall him saying he would have done the same thing he did during Civil War despite not remembering it (of course he's also shown as being really regretful about what happened, so take from that what you will).
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Murdock View Post
    I can't believe they made Alfred skinny. Such a blatant cash grab.

Seriously, changing things to match a more popular medium has been going on since the beginning of time.
    I think it just depends on the level of impact and the character in question. Sometimes it's harmless and mostly cosmetic, other times you're completely changing a character to match a depiction that just doesn't really work with their character history.