Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

I honestly don't like ANY of the changes made in the comics to "synergize" with the MCU or any of the Sony/ Fox films. My least favorite is of course, retconning the Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver's status as mutants. (Like it or not, they debuted in X-Men as original members of the Brotherhood of Evil MUTANTS, and no amount of stupid explanations can remove the existence of those classic Lee and Kirby comics.)

Every story I have read that is intended to change the comic character to more closely resemble the films has varied to pointless and mediocre to outright offensively stupid trash. I did not enjoy that story where Spider-Man mutated into a giant spider and gave birth to himself with organic shooters and I didn't like that stupid Battlescars mini that introduced comic 616 versions of Nick Fury Jr. and Coulson either. The writing for both was just ....bad. Even when I prefer the film version of a character to the comic version such as Negasonic Teenage Warhead, the comic writing is always so amazingly and completely inept at capturing what made the screen version of the character so appealing.

I absolutely loathe SHIELD and I can't stand that the Avengers are basically now just a superhero gofer branch of it, and I could go the rest of my life with never seeing that organization "grace" the pages of my beloved X-books and Spider-Man. But even then, I still feel bad for classic Nick Fury fans. Editorial promised with the arrival of Nick Jr. that classic Fury would still be a reoccurring hero in Marvel comics, only for his last major role to toss him under the bus and leave him chained up on the moon. Renamed "The Unseen" and more or less removed from the Marvel Universe as a whole. (How very "clever.")

With that said, I wouldn't be opposed to them changing Aunt May to look more like Marisa Tomei and less like the host of "Tales From the Crypt."
    "The White Queen welcomes you, TO DIE!"

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    ...Hickman said it best (and I paraphrase), comics should almost never adjust to the movies, it should be the other way round. Obviously with movies being more popular than comics some elements will filter in but wholesale changes to existing characters shouldn’t be a thing. The Shuri thing for anyone that’s read Black Panther will leave you confused and wondering what happened to the original Shuri. Especially when the most recent version of the character in Coates run had gone all spiritual in outlook and ability.
    I don't disagree about what "should be," but I think Mr. Hickman unrealistic. Brand managers can't help themselves. They WILL follow revenue. IMO, it's the main reason Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes was scuttled in favor of a far inferior toon. It didn't sell the Big Bucks version of the brand.

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

I mean, Alfred was a chubby comic relief character until he appeared in more serious roles.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

Cross media changes aren't inherently good or bad unless you're alive to witness it.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

From purely a writing standpoint, I would have to say that any movie generated synergy which directly conflicts with previous canon probably has to be considered bad writing UNLESS they can explain the change.

That said, there are times I actually do like the synergy based changes even if I recognize that it doesn't quite line up with continuity. It sort of depends I guess.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Stark View Post
    Tony was arrogant, joked around and talked a lot when he fought way before 2008 and RDJ came along. Was it up to the level of RDJ? No. They did turn the volume up a bit on it. That is true, but it was inherent in the character already. Again long before RDJ and 2008.
    I think most of the bad comedy comes from Bendis' rendition. I picked up Iron Man after Fear Itself when the Mandarin was about to come back and it wasn't that bad. Bendis also had Gamora almost sex Tony to death.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultimate Captain America View Post
    "Infinity Wars" (in plural; not Starlin's one). An absolute nonsense of a comic that should never had existed... except because Marvel badly needed to have something titled "Infinity War" or similar in the shelves that year.
    Infinity Wars was a non-issue. Civil War II was horrid.
    Last edited by Triniking1234; 08-19-2020 at 06:48 AM.
    "Cable was right!"

What happened to the original Nick Fury? I never knew.

He's chained up on the moon?

Extraordinary Member

The Avengers mansion being non-important or rather I should say, non-existant.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    The Avengers mansion being non-important or rather I should say, non-existant.
    I wouldn't blame that one on the movies tho.
    "Cable was right!"

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    I think most of the bad comedy comes from Bendis' rendition. I picked up Iron Man after Fear Itself when the Mandarin was about to come back and it wasn't that bad. Bendis also had Gamora almost sex Tony to death.
    I remember when Tony messed with Gamora. He was in wwwwaaayyy over his head lol. Also Fractions run on Tony was brilliant. If you get the opportunity you should really read it.
    "We live in a world of cowards. We live in a world full of small minds who are afraid. We are ruled by those who refuse to risk anything of their own. Who guard their over bloated paucities of power with money. With false reasoning. With measured hesitance. With prideful, recalcitrant inaction. With hateful invective. With weapons. F@#K these selfish fools and their prevailing world order." Tony Stark

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    Infinity Wars was a non-issue. Civil War II was horrid.
    Say what you want about Civil War II, Infinity Wars is still worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegeta View Post
    Every story I have read that is intended to change the comic character to more closely resemble the films has varied to pointless and mediocre to outright offensively stupid trash. I did not enjoy that story where Spider-Man mutated into a giant spider and gave birth to himself with organic shooters and I didn't like that stupid Battlescars mini that introduced comic 616 versions of Nick Fury Jr. and Coulson either. The writing for both was just ....bad.
    I absolutely loathe SHIELD and I can't stand that the Avengers are basically now just a superhero gofer branch of it, and I could go the rest of my life with never seeing that organization "grace" the pages of my beloved X-books and Spider-Man. But even then, I still feel bad for classic Nick Fury fans. Editorial promised with the arrival of Nick Jr. that classic Fury would still be a reoccurring hero in Marvel comics, only for his last major role to toss him under the bus and leave him chained up on the moon. Renamed "The Unseen" and more or less removed from the Marvel Universe as a whole. (How very "clever.")
    Not a fan of Marcus Johnson...er...Nick Fury Jr? . Talk about being set up to fail. Either Marvel can release the classic Fury or just bring over the Fury from the Ultimate Universe. It's a very easy fix, so of course Marvel can't do it. Knowing Marvel Marcus will discover that he had a long lost older sister named Arleen Rutherford who will change her name to Nicole Fury. Those are the rules, no matter how old you are you must change your name to Nick Fury or get it as close to Nick Fury as possible once you find out that you are his kid. Also you will lose an eye, so you better get an eyepatch! You didn't lose an eye? Tear that baby out yourself, gotta maintain that tradition!
    Last edited by Anthony W; 08-19-2020 at 09:06 AM. Reason: Forgot the eyepatch!
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    Not a fan of Marcus Johnson...er...Nick Fury Jr? . Talk about being set up to fail. Either Marvel can release the classic Fury or just bring over the Fury from the Ultimate Universe. It's a very easy fix, so of course Marvel can't do it. Knowing Marvel Marcus will discover that he had a long lost older sister named Arleen Rutherford who will change her name to Nicole Fury. Those are the rules, no matter how old you are you must change your name to Nick Fury or get it as close to Nick Fury as possible once you find out that you are his kid. Also you will lose an eye, so you better get an eyepatch! You didn't lose an eye? Tear that baby out yourself, gotta maintain that tradition!
    Not even an alternate Peggy Carter leading S.H.I.E.L.D. can get that eye to remain in its place.

Not even an alternate Peggy Carter leading S.H.I.E.L.D. can get that eye to remain in its place.

Yes, but she isn't a Fury. You need the patch and Fury must be your father.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Lord have mercy. Who drew that?
    "Cable was right!"