Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Default New Supergirl writing team

SUPERGIRL #36
    Written by MIKE JOHNSON and KATE PERKINS
    Art and cover by EMANUELA LUPACCHINO
    Lego variant cover
    On sale NOVEMBER 19 • 32 pg, FC, $2.99 US • RATED T
    Retailers: This issue will ship with two covers. Please see the order form for details.
    The new writing team of Mike Johnson and Kate Perkins enroll Supergirl in the Crucible Academy! Against her own will, Kara has been selected to join the mysterious academy, which promises to train her and other beings of cosmic importance to serve the forces of good in the universe. But who’s pulling the strings behind the academy? And what are Kara’s chances of survival if she decides to drop out? Guest-starring Superboy!

Interested in the inclusion of Kate Perkins. From what I can see she's not actually written any comics, but Johnson will probably take care of the structural/action elements. If it's the Perkins I'm seeing online, she'll have a fairly modern voice at least (which is good, because I don't think Johnson does).

Astonishing Member

I look forward to their 5 issues.

Fantastic Member

I don't know who Perkins is, I did a google and I can find a few writers with that name. Any idea which one it is? I'm glad we're not losing Lupacchino, I was getting worried after Karl Moline was solicited for #35 and even more so after it turned out that he also did this week's #34 (although he is a good artist so nothing against him). Hopefully the lead-in that Moline has now handed Lupacchino means we won't need any fill-in artists again. I am also fairly happy to see Johnson back, because he was good with Kara the first time round. So with any luck the two writers will be a good combination.

Quote Originally Posted by Kid A View Post
    I look forward to their 5 issues.
    So Bedard was talking about Kara's new direction coming up then a few days later we're back to Mike Johnson? eh,....okay.

This sure looks like a placeholder team if I ever saw one. Who want so bet that the book will be relaunched after the two-month gap next year?
    Last edited by Thor2014; 08-18-2014 at 03:35 PM.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Thor2014 View Post
    This sure looks like a placeholder team if I ever saw one.
    What makes you say that?

So whose to blame when it comes to this high and/or abrupt turnover in creative teams? Does this fall on Berganza or higher up?

I stress I welcome Johnson coming back into the fold but the suddenness of it is troublesome in regards to internal cohesiveness.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 08-18-2014 at 04:02 PM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by confusiongrows View Post
    What makes you say that?
    Only the first creative team has actually been around for more than one arc.

Re member

I loved Johnson's run on the book the first year. That said, does this mean we're not going to get Siobhan, stories that build a cast for the book, Blaze, New York, and all of the things Bedard was talkng about in the interview? And Superboy? I like Superboy, but I'd rather flush every story Supergirl and Superboy have appeared in together down the memory hole.

I mean what the heck DC? With 20 page books and decompressed writing how can a writer develop any momentum if they're out the door after a couple of months?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by confusiongrows View Post
    I don't know who Perkins is, I did a google and I can find a few writers with that name. Any idea which one it is?
    http://www.perkinskate.com

Ultimate Member

I hope that we get some clarification soon? Who ultimately made this call?

Maybe we get lucky and we find out the Superman line has a new editor and he/she made the call.

Ultimate Member

IDK, I kind of like the sound of where Bedard wanted to take the book. And admittedly, Kara getting a somewhat stable love interest (for once) is something that I've wanted to see for awhile now. This new "school" plot mentioned in the solicits sounds a lot like the plot of Grayson, just with a mysterious school instead of a mysterious spy organization.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

It's about time. The book has been unreadable, for me, since Bedard started. From the shoehorning of Lobo, to the RED LANTERN stuff (which I don't read to begin with), the book was truly lost. Kara is one of my favorite characters so I'm hoping something good comes of this.

I wish she could get a new direction similar to BATGIRL.

Astonishing Member

I suspect this is meant to capitalize on, as well as ride the wave, of the Batgirl change, and I'm all for that. Of course I was stoked to see what Bedard was doing, and am eager to find out what happened there.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    It's about time. The book has been unreadable, for me, since Bedard started. From the shoehorning of Lobo, to the RED LANTERN stuff (which I don't read to begin with), the book was truly lost. Kara is one of my favorite characters so I'm hoping something good comes of this.

I wish she could get a new direction similar to BATGIRL.
    So you didn't read the RL stuff, yet you call it unreadable? It doesn't really work that way.